Unpopular opinions

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Japanese knife vendors make themselves look silly when they insist that garasuki's and yodeba's are "western" knives.

Popular western makers should use a lottery system similar to bloodroot. This will fix the problem we have now of people with the most time getting the most popular knives and avoid the problem of people with the most money getting all the popular knives that raising prices will create.

Alternatively, flipping should be encouraged, this way most popular knives can flow from people with the most time to people with the most money allowing equal distribution in the time vs money strata.

Popular western makers should use a lottery system similar to bloodroot. This will fix the problem we have now of people with the most time getting the most popular knives and avoid the problem of people with the most money getting all the popular knives that raising prices will create.

Alternatively, flipping should be encouraged, this way most popular knives can flow from people with the most time to people with the most money allowing equal distribution in the time vs money strata.
So I can like it for a second time.

👍Like

Holy smokes, I went away for a few days, but this thread caught a new wind, some real funny "unpopular" opinions. By the number of likes and the fun I had reading it...

No sales on BST should be allowed to
be finalized in the first 24 hrs after posting. For in demand items, the seller should feel free to pick a familiar face to sell to, and if all things are otherwise equal, the seller should pick the buyer randomly using some sort of random number generator. No weight should be assigned to the time at which a PM was sent.

😁

No sales on BST should be allowed to
be finalized in the first 24 hrs after posting. For in demand items, the seller should feel free to pick a familiar face to sell to, and if all things are otherwise equal, the seller should pick the buyer randomly using some sort of random number generator. No weight should be assigned to the time at which a PM was sent.

😁
That's not an opinion, this is how it already is, except the whole allowed not allowed bit.

I don't think you understand capitalism.

Edit: didn't mean to sound snobby.

Those who make decent money i.e. salary work a TON and don't have lots of time. This probably is most people. Those with little money probably don't work a lot or need education, a higher priority.

Also, how do you think these popular makers got to be that way? The early adopters got on the list, and it built from there. Makers just starting out doing a lottery are destined to fail most often.

The point is there is a lot to the equation than what's best for you.

Last edited:
Those with little money probably don't work a lot or need education, a higher priority.

This is dismissive. Some people love jobs that are less highly paid. Some people don’t love their jobs, but access to more education or better employment isn’t an option for them for any number of reasons.

Back