Victorinox Chinese Vegetable cleaver WA Rehandle

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Cocobolo wood handle I made and it has the same dimensions as the saka takayuki cleaver handle I had. Blade is slightly leaning left if anyone knows how I can fix that? Could I burn it out and try again?

IMG_20230205_084527529~2.jpg
IMG_20230205_084026457~2.jpg

Nice work! What do you mean by leaning?
If you look at the pic. He has the one of the ridges of the handle showing straight but the blade install is a little left of it lining up. I think for the OP it is just a personal preference of whether to reinstall it lined up or just use it as is. The new handle looks nice. It's not going to affect performance. As long as it's comfortable it shouldn't make a difference.

Looks nice, I agree is not a huge issue. The Vic's grind actually looks really good, is it factory? The last Vic Chinese chef I checked looks like Washington monument.

Looks nice, I agree is not a huge issue. The Vic's grind actually looks really good, is it factory? The last Vic Chinese chef I checked looks like Washington monument.
Agree, the grind looks nice.

If you look at the pic. He has the one of the ridges of the handle showing straight but the blade install is a little left of it lining up. I think for the OP it is just a personal preference of whether to reinstall it lined up or just use it as is. The new handle looks nice. It's not going to affect performance. As long as it's comfortable it shouldn't make a difference.
I guess if the question is related to realigning the handle, it depends on how tightly it's installed.

If the hole is slightly oversized and tsng installed with glue, then it could be as simple as heating it to remove the handle and just putting it back, making sure it's perfectly aligned before the glue hardens.

If the handle is a very tight install, then a little bit of filing the hole could be done as an intermediate step.

I assume this was not a "burn in" install, where the tang is driven directly into the wood to form the hole. I wouldn't recommend burning into a hardwood like cocobolo for risk of cracking.

Nice work! IMO no biggie about the lean, unless you can really 'feel' it when you use it.
If you don't mind I'd love a 'before' image (and some 'during' the process) if you have them as I'm contemplating doing the same thing to an incoming purchase.

Thanks guys. Someone asked ..yes the blade (when put into the wood handle) isn't perfectly straight. The metal isn't bent it's just not square/center of the handle and feels awkward in hand. I'm trying to make another victorinox Rehandle as I enjoy it. My next one will be a blond/light color wood/burl.

Back