Waiting Times & Price Increases

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
many people just avoid any sort of confrontation if at all possible. even if unavoidable they'll try to sideswipe the situation or passive/aggressive it.
that's a dark hole, and a sad one.

I find less and less people able to hold a proper bar conversation which may get into some basic constructive arguement, even if it barely gets into hairy issues.

i enjoy when people i meet at the bar tell me the same story they told me 15 minutes ago, i just play along and see what details they change about it the second time around, but throw in random sarcastic questions to keep them on their toes.

I am sure that had this been an issue with the cost of a utility or necessity that this thread would not have been conceived. There is the emotional component involved. As was noted earlier in the thread functionality was not a real consideration. The type of wood in the handle was a consideration. A popular maker was a consideration. The OP did not say that he had used one of this makers knives and it had so fulfilled his unique needs (not wants) that this order was necessary. This was about a commissioned piece of art. Art has an emotional component and that is why we are willing to pay at above the functional value of the object. The uniqueness or rarity of the object can give value to the object. A flawless 3 karat diamond has considerably more value than a small lump of coal even though you can burn the coal for heat. If you can't sell the diamond then you are s.o.l. when the temperature drops.

I came to this forum to learn about knives. I am focused on function. I prefer a burnt chestnut or magnolia handle to a highly polished, heavy, rare wood or other material (Walrus penis scales were on a knife on BST a few years ago). I want to have a blade that remains sharp and that sharpens to a high degree rather than maintaining a perfect finish. I love looking at the knives as works of art and I marvel. I marvel more when I cut with a knife that just seems to make me better at preparing my food. Everyone has the preferences. We all come down differently on form vs. function.

I may not have started this thread, or I may have. In any case I do not see how the OP has done anything wrong. If I find that tomorrow I really want that "pretty" knife, that "popular maker" knife that is so picture perfect; then, because of this thread, I will make sure the maker and I have a good understanding. Thanks to the OP. Thanks to all who voiced their opinions. I learned from everyone............ Some more than others :)

Told him I was disappointed about the price increase, and asked if we could compromise on a price in between his initial quote and then the delivery price.

He replied fairly quickly, said he had been thinking about the situation, took responsibility for the lack of communication, and said he would honor the initial price.
So after you offered more than the original price, he honoured the lower price - that's great news, well done manufacturer.

Although you didn't pay a deposit, you did send him a piece of wood that cost $100, so that's pretty similar to a deposit. I'm glad he honoured the price, that was the right thing to do.

^ this

walrus willy is the next big thing...

Took me a while to work out that it was scales as in knife tang scales, not as in fish scales, not as in walruses have scales on their penis. Or maybe they do?

I just assumed it was narwhal horn and the walrus penis bit was for comedic effect. Saw an awesome piece of narwhal horn at the Takamura factory. I'd hate to see the price of the knife that ends up on though.

So, here's my situation . . . I got on a maker's list for a custom piece three years ago, and was quoted a price (and was originally told the wait was about 10 months). Had occasional check-ins, and did my best to be patient with delays. Today I found out my knife was finished (three years later), but was quoted a higher price than expected. Not hugely higher, but I roughly 15%, higher, and not on an inexpensive knife. When I inquired, I was told that prices increased last year (this is the first I've heard of it). I'll also note that the asked for price is higher than the price that is currently on the maker's website/order page.

So, what to do?

I will add that: 1) I asked the maker to use a piece of wood I purchased especially for this knife. Which was a splurge for me, about $100 for the wood alone. 2) the reality is that this is a maker in VERY high demand, and I'm sure that there are quite a few people that would be happy to snatch this knife up at the maker's requested price, meaning that I have very little real power in this situation.

Still, it bothers me that a maker would repeatedly delay, and then quote a higher price when the knife was finished. It seems to me that since the delays were on the maker's end, he should honor the price quoted.

I'm curious to hear your thoughts, questions, and suggestions on dealing with this situation.
Had you had saved $20 a month over the past 3 years to cover any potential inflated prices than it wouldn't be an issue.

At least the work was completed. Inflation is a pain for us all. Got to roll with the punches. Cost of living increases don't pay for themselves. If would like you can always blame Donald Trump for your woes.

Maybe after 3 years he has forgotten the price you both agreed upon. Have you discussed the discrepancy. Maybe send him a copy of the emails where you discussed the price. If prices increased last year it was incumbent on him to inform you. He's not going to sell the knife from under you since he used your wood blanks. I would have a friendly chat and see what he suggests.
By friendly chat do you mean send in your goons to offer a price he can't refuse?

Lies, all lies. You would asst most be perturbed. Maybe even flustered. But enraged? Hardly

Engorged perhaps. Inflated like the prices of pure walrus willy.

I wonder if it’s hard to erect handles from it. Maybe it takes two hands.

After reading the rest of this thread, I must say that I am sad and confused that so many of you have issues with someone coming to the forums to get opinions when dealing with personal or business issues. Something that seems simple to YOU might not be simple to the next person. With everyone's opinions and viewpoints contributing to a reasonable resolution, you may have prevented a murder suicide.

Back