Watanabe 240 gyuto - Kasumi vs Kurouchi

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I feel the urge to add a 240 gyuto to my Watanabe family:
IMG_8916_zpssngehowz.jpg

The question is, Kasumi or Kurouchi? Where are the differences?

KU is the starting point for Kasumi, so KU will be thicker. Beside that, any other differences? How about grind and food release?

Damn those are some sexy knives!!! I’m in the same boat as you, looking for a medium-heavyweight 240 and can’t decide on KU or Kasumi..... Watanabe’s prices seem very reasonable, hows the workmanship on your current blades? What steel do you like from him the best?

Damn those are some sexy knives!!! I’m in the same boat as you, looking for a medium-heavyweight 240 and can’t decide on KU or Kasumi..... Watanabe’s prices seem very reasonable, hows the workmanship on your current blades? What steel do you like from him the best?
I think he mainly use blue 2 steel.

A 240 Watanabe has long been on my list. While I have not really kept up with all the new makers and types out there, I have never seen a knife by Watanabe that I did not like. I have the 240 in kasumi and it’s a beast, but you don’t buy Watanabe knives for their delicate structure and laser abilities. Given that and the fact that I have a couple of other kasumi 240s, my choice would be the KU. And if you order from him, get it over with and add the honesuki to your order...

Stefan

I have a few watanabes myself. The level of workmanship on mine are very good. The finish is beautiful, fit and finish on the handle is nice too. I really really enjoy his grind. As everyone knows, they are on the thicker side, but the taper and grind is so nice and thin they cut great. It’s more asymmetrical than some of my other Japanese brands, which I enjoy.

I have a few watanabes myself. The level of workmanship on mine are very good. The finish is beautiful, fit and finish on the handle is nice too. I really really enjoy his grind. As everyone knows, they are on the thicker side, but the taper and grind is so nice and thin they cut great. It’s more asymmetrical than some of my other Japanese brands, which I enjoy.

I like thicker asymmetrical grinds too. Have a KU Tanaka 240mm similar grind workhorse blade, think the Watanabe is a little thinner at the edge.

I've been wanting a Watanabe forever just sprung for a KU 210mm cuz of this thread.

Yeh been drooling over the grind pics on The Carbon Knife Co. Stefan really likes his Watanabe. I will put a custom handle on it African Blackwood.

Yeh been drooling over the grind pics on The Carbon Knife Co. Stefan really likes his Watanabe. I will put a custom handle on it African Blackwood.

Craig at CarbonKnifeCo might be able to make and put a custom handle for you as long as it’s nothing too fancy.

Knife is on it's way, I can make my own handle have wood Stefan left me when he moved.

African Wengé wood? I have an Opinel No.8 limited edition Black with Wenge handle that is awesome I love it!

Have made other handles with African Blackwood. Stefan liked it because it is durable in a busy kitchen, looks good to.

My 210mm Watanabe came in today. What a nice blade, could see right off it was larger heel to tip it is 222mm perfect for home use. It has an awesome grind on it. He took the time to put a sharp polished edge.

The D ho wood handle is not bad, I hope it comes off in one piece deff. worth saving.

So... As nobody could answer my question I went for BOTH :viking:

28765923_421190354984210_4967237198035288064_n.jpg

The pic above is from the internet, mine will have some minor modifications. More will follow...

I picked up a Ku from carbon knife Co a few weeks ago. Solid knife. Gets and stays sharp. I believe the Ku is slightly heavier. Nice grind with fairly thin edge. Hope you enjoy yours!

Daddy yo is a true Watanabe fan:D Really like my first the 210 KU nice grind, cuts well.

So... As nobody could answer my question I went for BOTH :viking:

28765923_421190354984210_4967237198035288064_n.jpg

The pic above is from the internet, mine will have some minor modifications. More will follow...

So, have you got these and had a chance to use them yet? :D

Back