Watch winders?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sudsy9977

Founding Member
Reaction score
So are watch winders worth it? Any good brands you guys could recommend? My father in law has some automatic watches and thought it might be a nice Xmas gift. He’s pretty hard to buy for but doesn’t have one. Ryan

In my opinion, watch winders are a bit unnecessary. There is nothing wrong with the mechanical/automatic watch to be stopped for a month or so. When I asked watchmakers from my city what they think about it they said that having the main spring constantly and fully tensioned for a prolonged period of time can be more harmful to the watch than making it just stop working. And after a few days the time on the mechanical/automatic watch will be so off that you have to set it anyways. Maybe a nice box for watches would be better? Or a new strap (Hirsh straps are very good).

Good to know. Thanks for the advice. He has a nice display box already. He likes collecting coins, etc. I might just stick with some silver.

I think watch winders are unnecessary UNLESS you have a calendar complication. Triple date, perpetual, annual and moonface watches are a pain to set when they stop.

Frankly I never bother setting the date on the watches that have date complications. And if I could afford a perpetual calendar watch I probably would be able to afford to pay someone to keep it wound for me :D

Frankly I never bother setting the date on the watches that have date complications. And if I could afford a perpetual calendar watch I probably would be able to afford to pay someone to keep it wound for me :D
Not that expensive. A JLC Perpetual costs less than a bog standard Rolex.

Prefer clean look watches without date. I hardly use it turn on my phone day date first thing see.

It's hard to find watches without date. Have seen expensive with the clean minimalist look top of the line hands & markings, Sapphire crystal. High quality beauty in simplicity.

Good to know. Thanks for the advice. He has a nice display box already. He likes collecting coins, etc. I might just stick with some silver.

You could get him a capped bust half silver dollar. Raw is generally less expensive than certified slab. 1807 - 1836. VF- XF. These coins were made one at a time with obverse & reverse die plates. Some are quite rare to very
scarce. Much more interesting than coins after steam presses pumping out millions of coins
came in late 1830's.

My collection is not large under 200 coins collected over almost 30 years. My die strike.
Books for half dollars.& silver dollars.

IMG_20211202_182049116_HDR.jpg
IMG_20211202_182259170.jpg

Using these have hunted down some truly rare coins on eBay most half dollars, but have a couple rare dollars too.
IMG_20211202_180716888_HDR.jpg

20 dollar gold piece.
IMG_20211202_181619381_HDR.jpg
IMG_20211202_181619381_HDR.jpg

Capped Bust half
IMG_20201209_090624257.jpg

1796 small eagle silver dollar

This is a rare coin
IMG_20211130_102206244.jpg

1805 drapped bust half Overton 107
Rairity 5, XF 45 grade one of three best coins known. One of each known for O-107
AU 53, AU 50, XF 45 (my coin) This coin has luster, nice rim toning from spending many decades in coin album. Great eye appeal. Worth
far more than I paid for it. Extremely rare grade wise.

Back