Welcome to Kitchen Knife Forums!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Greeting Forum,
My hobby is Estate sales and vintage kitchen knives in particular and Sabatiers in particular particular. I love to find these treasures for a buck or two and see them on ebay for a lot more. Plus I love the feel of these treasures and the ease of sharpening. To view my Kitchen collection you would think that all my knives are junk (except for any one who really appreciates these works of art.) My question is this. I have found a lot of different Sabatiers over the past years.... lions, trumpets, elephant etc. but recently I picked up a half dozen in one household, and even though it is hard to see because of the age, it appears that the logo is that of a pig. At first I thought it was an elephant that had its trunk wore off but after careful examination I really believe these are pigs. I could not find anything else on the internet about this particular brand of Sabatier so I am hoping that maybe there is an expert out there who has seen such an animal. (the knife... not the pig). Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
todd

I have been in the industry for a little over 10 years. Starting from the bottom. Ran a family restaurant
For the past three years in the summer and working country clubs in south Florida for the winter. Now have a new head chef job at a small resort. Thought I'd join the crew.

Greeting from Lithuania. Found your forum by searching japanese knives and information about japanese steels. Food preparing is kinda hobby for me. Im doing it at home for self and family. Sorry for my english language skills :D

No worries man. Good to have a Baltic man in the house!

Hi All,

Another new member saying Hi!

I own a small retail cookware shop and currently sell the usual suspects in mass produced American, German, Japanese, etc knives. Hoping to expand my knowledge of hand made kitchen knives. Another member of this forum suggest I join. I doubt I will have much to contribute to discussions, so I will probably just lurk and learn for a while.

Nancy

Hello KKF,
My name is Troy and I am a Canadian chef at large travelling around the world. I have been cooking professionally for about 8 years and have used all kinds of knives and steel. As of late I seemed to have developed an affinity for good damascus and Japanese Blue knives. I am always looking to expand my collection and love reading all the threads on this form about different steels and their workability and uses. Maybe one day I will even try to build my own!

Greetings....

I found this forum via both BladeForums and the Wicked Edge Forums at virtually the same time.

Thought I'd best check it out...

My Dad was a sharpener of edges of all kinds: powersaws, hand saws, garden tools, shovels, axes and especially knives. He was the resident, goto sharpener in a logging camp. I remember at 5-6 years old sitting on a stool watching him sharpen as other men sat around the wood stove and talked.

As long as I remember wearing pants with pockets there's been a knife with me in some way shape or form. But, never as sharp as my father's.

I've focused on other things my whole life, now semi-retired, I can let sharpening have some time and focus in my life. And I love it.

I've purchased several of the newer sharpeners (Worksharp & Wicked Edge) and find that there is still skill involved that needs to be developed.

This new sharpening avocation has already led me to Eugene, OR for the Oregon Knife Collector's annual knife show. Amazing experience.

Then, last weekend what was called the 1st Annual Seattle Custom Knifemakers Show. It was even better -- 50+ of the nation/world's top knifemakers all in one place. The Friday pre-function was at a local forge and we got to watch some of these masters at work forging, hammering, quenching and sharpening.

At this point, I have mostly questions but will answer and reply if and when I can.

Thanks, all, for being here....

For Now,

Gib

Welcome on board Gib

Sent from my iPhone using Kitchen Knife Forum

I went ahead and started posting before introducing myself, but hey better late than never.

My name's Jeff, I live in Bangkok, I'm an obsessive home cook on a finite budget. This forum came up in Google searches about freehand sharpening, which I am new (but committed) to.

New guy here. A friend and i were discussing Japanese knives (of which he owns several) and I expressed an interest. My knife experience is mostly in the camping and pocket varieties (from SOG to Spyderco, Buck to Busse). My friend told me to get over here and start reading.

Now off to get some education before I begin this new obsession!

Hello from Japan.
Also, Our town has been called TOSA from 700 years or more before, and forged many edged tools.

Howdy y'all.

I'm excited to join the forum and actually participate and not just creep around the forums.

Love food, love knives! Happy to be here.

Cheers,
Tim

I've been interested in knives and have worked all my life with lower end, but very serviceable carbon knives, mostly Russel Green Rivers. I'm interested now in something nicer for dedicated kitchen use and landed on this forum. Great information. Thanks so much!

Thanks Dave. And I've been admiring your work, which i was drawn to while researching my soon to be purchased first quality kitchen knife. The Hiromoto AS is a contender, and I see you have done refinements to many.

Hello from canada, eh!!!! Executive chef billy sanderson here. Currently addicted to "knifewear", my local knife shop here in the okanagan British columbia. Currently collecting the masakage koishi line with 6 in the collection so far.... following some of the d.i.y.'s to make your own wa handles on here. Contacted "lee valley" and now I have a few exotic woods and tools on their way in the mail to get me started to help supply the sunny okanagan with beautiful hand crafted works of art!!!!

Hello just joined the forum I'm a line cook in Baltimore just started working the back of the house full time and looking to upgrade from my culinary school knives

Hello there. I am from Uzbekistan. I was recently reading a book by Jeffery Deaver about a criminal whose favourite tool of trade was a knife (btw the guy writes quality read). It went from there, I googled Kai Shuns, then on and on, and ended up ordering my first Tojiro DP Gyuto along with DMT 8in coarse continuous diamond plate and combination 1000/6000 King Stone. Looking forward to receiving and getting into madness of manual knife maintenance. I have several traditional pichaks (pichak is Uzbek for knife) which are great stuff when new, hold edge for long but are ruined by incompetent sharpeners the first time you bring the knife to resharpen. And now I know why. In all my life I have never seen them using any water on their rotating stones (and I have seen many), the sharpening process is all sparks and heat, with knives being immersed into water to cool. And edges never hold thereafter. Now after reading a lot I think I know why. Will learn sharpening on those abused knives before the Tojiro gets dull enough to have a touch.

New as a member of the forum, though not new to forums...have always found forums to be a great place to source information and opinions on steel and stones. When you spend all your hours in the kitchen, you have very little time socialize with anyone other your coworkers, the drunken, verbally abusive family you never wanted. Wouldn't trade it for anything else...

Hello and greetings from San Diego. I look forward to the exchange of information on this forum. I currently received zwilling's four star chef, parer, and utility as gifts. I am looking forward to my first Japanese made knife!

--
Oscar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back