Western/octagonal hybrid handles

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captaincaed

(____((__________()~~~
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a "phone a friend" thread!

I'm starting a search for a good gyuto/chef with an ergonomic handle. My mental image is of a Maumasi Japanese Cowboy handle. But of course you can't get one of those, so I'm looking around for something similar.

Basically, something with a waist, pinky grip, and handle facets/texture that index in your hand to prevent rotation. Any carbon steel except Hitachi white (Takefu white is A OK)

So far I know of:
  • Kamon
  • Goldeband
  • Troopah
  • Dale Miller
  • Metal Monkey (kind of)
  • Camacho
  • Bloodroot (on the list for 2075)
  • Bidinger (once he gets an Evenheat I'm interested)
  • Jared Lees (goofy profile)
  • Billipp (of course can't have that either)
  • Artificery (good luck)
  • Bill Burke (again, good luck)
  • Hazenberg (mostly white steel)
  • Throw a pile of money at Marc4pt0 and ask really nicely
New additions
  • Alex horn
  • Eliane Leblanc
  • Will Newham
  • Mert Tansu (sort of)
  • Halcyon Forge older western
  • Salem Straub
  • Aaron Wilburn
Does the collective wisdom know of others I'm forgetting or haven't seen? Thanks doooooods and dooooodettes.

Last edited:
Steffen Toksvig of TX knives, makes some nice ones, not sure if they fully match your description, but the few I tried were good. I don't know how active he is these days either. Another option is to pick a knife and then ask some of the handle makers to make you what you want, might work better than trying to match the handle you want and the knife you want.

Mareko’s Japanese cowboy Handle is a thing of beauty. However, my personal experience with 2 different ones, they’re not near as comfortable as his fully rounded western handles. A Maumasi with his full on western is still on my wish/a-boy-can-dream list.

Another one to definitely consider is Tony of Laseur knives.
Also Will of Newham Knives. Very nice stuff there as well.
And if you can find one of Joes (Halcyo Forge) older style western handle knives

edit- I went back and re-read your original list and just noticed I missed this option:

• Throw a pile of money at Marc4pt0 and ask really nicely

i like that option of course.
And a note on Kamon’s new western handle design- freaking awesome stuff.

Last edited:
From the noises I've heard, Mareko is hoping to get out from under his custom list, then starting to produce a somewhat broader range. I hope he takes an approach like another WA favorite of mine.

I think you have my favorite Maumasi out there, that stainless wootz. It's a killer.

Thanks for the comments on various handles. For some reason I keep running across your kit recently. You collect the way I'd like to. Just need to graduate and get back out into the job market.

https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/threads/vanadis-23.43160/
... If you can get on his list.

Also Jannis aka xerxes can make about any shape and excel

Also this is one from Simon Herde, although it's more of a full on western, it's pretty comfortable though:
IMG_20210118_134423.jpg

IMG_20210118_091317.jpg

He also makes a wa/western version (the one on the bottom)...
https://kochmalscharf.freeforums.net/thread/5741/verf-gbare-messer
I will receive my kamon western in a few weeks, can't wait to try that

Last edited:
I think Balete Blades would fit the description.

By the way, I just made a custom set with Dan Bidinger, don't know if you saw the G10+buckeye knives he's been posting on instagram. I cant really say anything about heat treat before I get the knives, but I can leave some input once they arrive.

I think Balete Blades would fit the description.

By the way, I just made a custom set with Dan Bidinger, don't know if you saw the G10+buckeye knives he's been posting on instagram. I cant really say anything about heat treat before I get the knives, but I can leave some input once they arrive.
I'm stoked to hear a forum member got these. I think Dan's handles are bad ass. I am.very curious to hear how you like sharpening them. I'll be all ears.

I'm stoked to hear a forum member got these. I think Dan's handles are bad ass. I am.very curious to hear how you like sharpening them. I'll be all ears.
Member as of recently though (literally today, actually) hahaha

Yeah, it was one of his hybrid handles that made me commission those custom ones, they are really a thing. It was specifically the black G10 + cocobolo + redliner from approx. a year ago that got me. Hopefully they perform just as well as they look.

Since you mentioned the evenheat I'm curious if you could share your opinion with me on something [sorry for deviating from the main subject]...

How much of an impact not having all the heat treat equipment for the time being should make on the final product? From what I got by speaking with him it felt like he's interested in improving his geometry and design, and also in researching about HT and steels, but since it's my first experience with custom knives I don't know if the equipment is strictly necessary to make good knives or if it's more of a consistence and precision thing that could by bypassed. Do you have any thoughts on it?

And sure, once I get the knives I'll let you know. Feel free to ask for some pics of them if you want, I have some that he didn't post.

Very cool thank you. He lives maybe 60km from me, and I'd love to support a local maker.

Really good knife makers (and Larrin Thomas) have said on the Knife Talk podcast that a good kiln will really up your game. You can still do quality work without one I think, but consistency improves. Also, the ability to find tune a heat treat to your particular batch of steel.

I know nothing of steel metallurgy, but do work in chemistry labs. A well calibrated instrument takes away a lot of.guess work.

Larrin's interview. WHAT is in the dewar? from Knife Talk | Podcast Episode on Podbay

Back