What’s your upper limit on knife purchases?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Something interesting that I am realizing is that the knives posted here don’t necessarily represent the majority. I feel like every knife I see posted on this forum is +$1,500. Yet everyone in this thread has a limit of -$1,000. Not surprising now that I think about it, but it’s likely the expensive knives get posted and shown off, while the more modest ones don’t get the same lime light. At first glance you would think everyone here is rocking $25,000 knife collections. Reality is likely closer to $2,500.

As for myself, I have found I have both an upper limit and a lower limit. If it’s above $2,000, I’ll feel uncomfortable using it. If it’s below $1,000, I’ll feel bored using it. There’s definitely a sweet spot between $1,000 and $2,000 where it feels exciting and special, but not so fancy that I can’t use it. I think the only time I will break that rule is when I finally get a 240 River Jump.😮‍💨 One day 🤞🏼
I think I’m gonna have to call you out. I want some video evidence. 😂

Careful guys, Maxim is going to be watching this thread and will post a dammy Kato soon after seeing your comments
Dammy? He’ll probably post a new old stock second for $2400. Extra stank, no charge.

my most expensive knife is a Jiro that I won a drawing for and felt obligated to buy so $700. That said I'd say my comfortable buying limit is probably around $500, and average of $300-400. Unfortunately I feel that precludes me from expanding into a lot of western makers

I don't think about limits at this point in the hobby; rather, I consider the overall package, novelty, and what a certain knife can add to the collection nowadays. (This isn't meant to be a "money go brr" type of statement.) For example, I would be fine paying around $2K USD for a fully-specced out Milan custom but would not want knives like Ashi Honyaki, Kato Damascus, etc. as those are more like art / "collect and never use" pieces to me.

With that being said, YMMV as I feel much of my sentiment is because I have two knives that have set the standard so high that I would be perfectly content with selling everything else (if given no other choice).

To me, all knives are tools. My most expensive one is around 2K USD (kitchen knife wise) at the moment and I would use it as a functional art piece. Even if I ended up purchasing knives in the 5 to 10K range I would still use them as long they’re kitchen knives. They’re not one of those knives from AKI https://aki.show/null I would admit some of the knives from AKI are not entirely functional and they are created purely as ART pieces.
Me too, White 1 Water Honyaki or whatever they belongs to the kitchen.

Same here. I could imagine a future me who has a wheelbarrow of extra cash and a desire for a display piece, and think it's great if anyone else had one. Like one of Don Nguyen's killer show pieces. Or the Goldvein knife or a historic reproduction or something.

Same here. I could imagine a future me who has a wheelbarrow of extra cash and a desire for a display piece, and think it's great if anyone else had one. Like one of Don Nguyen's killer show pieces. Or the Goldvein knife or a historic reproduction or something.
One of Kamon gold vein or Dark Sigil if I won the lottery lol

sorry I'd like to clarify my previous statement. I like the data to support the claim that you are solidly in the majority for 300 to 400... I wish I could control my self but I cannot... I'm solidly in the 500 to 900 category but I think my hard cap is like $1k. It would have to be a pretty special knife for me to Gove over 1k. I think its the barrier in my brain saying nope too far... even though I have multiple knives almost at 1k and if I took total value of my collection I'm in quite deep.....

I see a common reasoning in the thread that I have with blades.

For knives in the kitchen, a Denka or Takeda is about the limit. But if a nice 210 Shig kitaej came up, that might be an exception (I have a 180). But I don’t use the Shigefusa that often because it’s pretty much an irreplaceable collectors item which brings me to the next point.

An interesting question is ‘Would you spend more for a knife that you don’t intend to use very much in the kitchen?’ Surprisingly for me, the answer is yes, regarding the Shig.

If you own/collect JNats, you know that if you lap face stamps off a stone, you can easily lap a $1,000 worth of ink off in a few minutes. So another question, how many people would spend multiple thousands for a knife that they would use down to a nub because they enjoy it? I know of a couple at least.

So another question, how many people would spend multiple thousands for a knife that they would use down to a nub because they enjoy it? I know of a couple at least.
My guess is anyone who has spent that much on a knife (or really, anyone hanging out on KKF) will have so many knives in their rotation that they won't be in any danger of using/sharpening any given knife enough to wear it down to a nub! 😂

If you own/collect JNats, you know that if you lap face stamps off a stone, you can easily lap a $1,000 worth of ink off in a few minutes. So another question, how many people would spend multiple thousands for a knife that they would use down to a nub because they enjoy it? I know of a couple at least.
Now you know one more. If a knife comes here, it gets seriously used, I don't care what it is, though I will refrain from buying anything that would be generally ruined by that, moons over Mt Fuji and ornate Damascus, handles with carved skulls in them, stuff like that.

I can't imagine buying a stone just to look at it. That ink is worth $0 to me, since it's guarding what I bought the stone for.

Most of my preferred knives to use are in the $400 to $600 range. I only own a handful over $1k and they get used but not regularly.

I think this question needs to be considered with the size of the collection in mind. Some people may have 20 knives with an average cost of $500 per knife and some people may have 5 knives that cost 2k each.

I think this question needs to be considered with the size of the collection in mind. Some people may have 20 knives with an average cost of $500 per knife and some people may have 5 knives that cost 2k each.
Or salary, some people makes 50K a year and some people makes 500K a year. So buying a 2k knife can cost half of the person’s monthly salary or 1/20 of the person’s monthly salary.

Or salary, some people makes 50K a year and some people makes 500K a year. So buying a 2k knife can cost half of the person’s monthly salary or 1/20 of the person’s monthly salary.
And being much closer to that $50k a year than $500k at my age makes me regret a lot of life choices......

Well, I have 100+ knives and too many $500 and $2k+ knives to count. Some of us been in this game for decades. I'm 46 and see no end.

After reading everyone spending a lot on knives, I don't feel to bad buying a nenox knife now. 😅
I think it's worth noting that we are probably like.. the 0.5% of psycho knife buyers.

My wife flipped (small flip) when I told her a myojin I bartered to a friend was $300 (it was $400) so I now operate under a don't ask don't tell policy lol.

All depends on the phase I'm in when collecting something. 4 years ago I didn't blink twice dropping $2600 on an Ashi Honyaki 240 or $1500 on a Kato. Now I take days to weigh up the pros and cons before paying $300 for a new knife. I think I've just hit JKnife nirvana.

I was showing someone a couple of recent acquisitions, and he was making appropriate appreciative noises.

Then he said. “That’s a really nice knife. How much was it, $300?” I allowed as to how it was quite a bit higher than that.

He’s a guy who understands spending money on things you enjoy, and has his own hobbies. He just has absolutely zero context for what a “nice knife” can cost.

All depends on the phase I'm in when collecting something. 4 years ago I didn't blink twice dropping $2600 on an Ashi Honyaki 240 or $1500 on a Kato. Now I take days to weigh up the pros and cons before paying $300 for a new knife. I think I've just hit JKnife nirvana.
Definitely think Japan (as always) has some of the best value bang for buck with still exceptional F&F

As a salesman at heart, I’d have to put a spin on it. “Honey, this is a savings account that we can actually play with. It’s art. Picasso’s you can use to feed your family and spread joy” followed with a cheesy grin.
I am fortunate that I don't have to justify my purchases, but I've used a similar explanation to try and describe why I like "nice" knives.

I said something to the effect that it checks all of the boxes for me. Aesthetic, intrinsic, interesting, functional, craft-made.

Different steels have different intrinsic characteristics, and I find the materials themselves and the science behind it to be interesting. The different woods and handle materials offer aesthetic interest. The shape of the knife can be either pleasing to my eye or not, and the shape of the knife can be either useful/functional to me or not. The way the knife is crafted and finished offer me another point of interest and appreciation, as I understand and value high quality work.

Functional art that I can use every day that combines hard science with infinite aesthetic variation? What's not to like?

Reactions: WCV
If I go down that path, of breaking it down logically and articulately to someone, it's my experience that about 10 seconds in they get this glossed over look in their eyes and it looks like they're retreating to their happy place. Can't figure out why for the life of me.

Back