What’s your upper limit on knife purchases?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just checked with the chairwomen of knife budget committee-
NO

I requested an exception based on below comment

I simply enjoy buying cheaper ($400-600) knives instead. Trying out something different and learning what I don’t like in knives in that tier.

Sorry to report answer is still no.

For me, as long as I don't have a paid off mortgage + money for kids to go to college + emergency healthcare buffer + enough to retire, I will always feel guilty spending more than the minimum required on anything because it's fiscally irresponsible. So with expensive knives almost the whole price induces guilt, lol.
First of let me be clear I think being ultra financially disciplined is admirable and is a rare thing nowadays. If it makes you happy, then more power to you.

Personally, I was just like you but Covid and inflation really put things into perspective to me. Sometimes there can be a big opportunity that you can miss out on that is very unlikely to return again, like buying a house 2014-2020, or buy a dream sports car pre-covid. Good times do not last forever. Now I am not saying the knife world needs even more FOMO or dream chasing than it has already but life is short and can be shorter than you imagine. Very few people can say they have enough money to have paid off mortgage + money for kids to go to college + emergency healthcare buffer + enough to retire on. That's basically f you money and kinda impossible for most people. We still only have a limited time to enjoy ourselves and some things are better enjoyed when younger. So it's okay to treat yourself once in a while in a "responsible" manner and not feel guilty because what is life about otherwise.

Just my 2 cents. Sorry if it seems a bit preachy, it's just this was a big epiphany point for me personally

First of let me be clear I think being ultra financially disciplined is admirable and is a rare thing nowadays. If it makes you happy, then more power to you.

Personally, I was just like you but Covid and inflation really put things into perspective to me. Sometimes there can be a big opportunity that you can miss out on that is very unlikely to return again, like buying a house 2014-2020, or buy a dream sports car pre-covid. Good times do not last forever. Now I am not saying the knife world needs even more FOMO or dream chasing than it has already but life is short and can be shorter than you imagine. Very few people can say they have enough money to have paid off mortgage + money for kids to go to college + emergency healthcare buffer + enough to retire on. That's basically f you money and kinda impossible for most people. We still only have a limited time to enjoy ourselves and some things are better enjoyed when younger. So it's okay to treat yourself once in a while in a "responsible" manner and not feel guilty because what is life about otherwise.

Just my 2 cents. Sorry if it seems a bit preachy, it's just this was a big epiphany point for me personally
That also depends on your financial situation. If you're poor, there's a lot to be said for financial discipline as a way to avoid finance-related stress.
I will always pick 'not having to worry about money' over any material goods.
But once you hit a certain level of income that's not necessarily a concern anymore (and also why happyness starts tapering off and capping out when you go up in income).

Hoo boy.

When I first got into it 6-7 years back, spending a hundred on henckels or wusthoff felt wild.

First decent knife was a used mazaki 210mm I picked up from Reddit for 200. Felt crazy expensive, but I fell in love with how it looked and bit the bullet. Then the bug bit me in return. Kept my price range around 300ish since I thought there was some arbitrary line in the sand for performance at that point. It wasn’t until I picked up some north of $500 knives that I started to feel the line for performance was more in that range.

To say I’m a workhorse fan is to put it mildly. I have yet to find a knife that’s too thick above the heel for me, provided it’s ground properly. My baby currently is 8.5ishmm above the heel and I use it as my baseline when talking to custom makers about what I want.

The only way to get that level of thickness is generally a full custom. I never thought I’d spend north of a grand on a knife, but I managed to sweet talk a maker who as far as I’m aware has had his custom books closed for years to do something special for me. 4.5k later it’s still not done, but its gonna be something one of a kind when it is finished. Ironically, it’s not even a style of knife I really use. I just fell in love with the idea of it so I guess I’ll have a solid conversation piece/sacrificial knife whenever it’s needed. Had a few other customs in the 4 figured, current baby project is something I’m planning on replacing most of my collection with if the execution is nailed and I’m expecting that to be around 2-2.5k.

The reality is when you want unique handle materials, crazy geometries and labor intensive finishes, that’s just the price of entry. Knife makers are artists, and I’m happy to support them if they can make something that brings a twinkle to my eye.

When not dealing with customs, I stop at 600-700. I have a few at that range, but I have no interest in paying more than that, regardless of the name attached. The only way I’m shelling out above that is if it’s some flavor of custom I can influence the design of.

No real regrets here. Even if I sold my entire collection it’s not exactly going to make even a quarter of a down payment on a house so I’m not missing anything. Of my many hobbies, kitchen knives are the biggest ticket item, but I’m slowing down as I acquire what I want. Or so I tell myself. Now I just need to defeat the inner hoarder and learn to let some of them go given they haven't been used in literally years.

Apparently mine is $2.2k USD. At least according to my last purchase. I feel like I took a huge jump when I opened the floodgates of thinking that custom work is acceptable. It's time to reign that back in haha...

That also depends on your financial situation. If you're poor, there's a lot to be said for financial discipline as a way to avoid finance-related stress.
I will always pick 'not having to worry about money' over any material goods.
But once you hit a certain level of income that's not necessarily a concern anymore (and also why happyness starts tapering off and capping out when you go up in income).
Completely agree. I just find that hardship induced frugality can become so ingrained that it can be a habit hard to get out of, even when you are long past the point of struggle. It's okay to show yourself some love if you can actually afford it even if it is not strictly necessary.

When I first got into it 6-7 years back, spending a hundred on henckels or wusthoff felt wild.

First decent knife was a used mazaki 210mm I picked up from Reddit for 200. Felt crazy expensive, but I fell in love with how it looked and bit the bullet. Then the bug bit me in return. Kept my price range around 300ish since I thought there was some arbitrary line in the sand for performance at that point. It wasn’t until I picked up some north of $500 knives that I started to feel the line for performance was more in that range.

This all sounds so familiar. I first learned about jknives when I was looking to upgrade from my Vnox and thought a Wusthoff was too much money... whoops?

I stuck to a $200 limit for the first year or two but post-2020 I made a big jump for my first Kippington and settled on roughly $500 as the upper end. It's not a totally firm limit but any exceptions have to be for something pretty special.

While getting really top tier performance for sub-$500 is getting harder than a few years ago, there's still great stuff in that $200-500 range on BST and from newer/lesser known makers who haven't yet blown up. The two new knives I've enjoyed most from the last year have been customs from Eddie and Okubo and they barely ran over $500 combined.

$775 was the most I’ve spent so far.. $670 was the most on a bnib.. but dang I wanna try a Kamon Santoku 🤔 Used beauties in the 4-700 range that were >900 when they were new are great and hold their value when it’s time to move on. It’s like getting low mileage Toyotas from private seller 😁

Something interesting that I am realizing is that the knives posted here don’t necessarily represent the majority. I feel like every knife I see posted on this forum is +$1,500. Yet everyone in this thread has a limit of -$1,000. Not surprising now that I think about it, but it’s likely the expensive knives get posted and shown off, while the more modest ones don’t get the same lime light. At first glance you would think everyone here is rocking $25,000 knife collections. Reality is likely closer to $2,500.

As for myself, I have found I have both an upper limit and a lower limit. If it’s above $2,000, I’ll feel uncomfortable using it. If it’s below $1,000, I’ll feel bored using it. There’s definitely a sweet spot between $1,000 and $2,000 where it feels exciting and special, but not so fancy that I can’t use it. I think the only time I will break that rule is when I finally get a 240 River Jump.😮‍💨 One day 🤞🏼

So, let us just assume that you've bought a crazy expensive knife years ago, like 10 years ago. It was a knife for 500-1,000 dollars - crazy :angiefavorite: expensive back then, still expensive today. What if such a knife has - for several reasons - increased its (theoretical) worth just by aging and we're talking about inflated prices in the 2-3k region today. What price level shall I consider for my upper limit, the price back then or today? :coffee:

So, let us just assume that you've bought a crazy expensive knife years ago, like 10 years ago. It was a knife for 500-1,000 dollars - crazy :angiefavorite: expensive back then, still expensive today. What if such a knife has - for several reasons - increased its (theoretical) worth just by aging and we're talking about inflated prices in the 2-3k region today. What price level shall I consider for my upper limit, the price back then or today? :coffee:
I feel like if it’s a knife that you use, then the price is what you paid 10 years ago.

But if it’s a display piece that you just look at, then the price is what it’s worth now.

I made a histogram of the prices of all the knives I've bought (many have since been sold). It looks like it reveals my limit at around $800-something (one custom), but most knives I buy are $200 - $400.
knife.cost.histogram.png

Last edited:
According to inflation, at an assumed cost of $500 in 2013, your knife is now worth $658.37 😂

I think that's more up to you honestly. I too have bought knives roughly in the $600 range that current sit in the 2k range. Personally I believe the knife is more representative of its lower value. I'm keeping it so it doesn't matter. If I sell it then Im in need of money, in which case, it's a more expensive knife 🤷

Since you are 10 years wiser and you can't take it with you the current price is what your upper limit is today. Who cares what it cost 10 years ago, those prices don't exist for this knife so are not real.

$300 is the max I’ve spent so far. I’m very new to this knife thing and just graduated from name brand German knives to non-famous Japanese knives. The leap in performance has already been remarkable.
The returns in performance after that price are honestly marginal. (With a couple exceptions)

If you really vibe with a maker, and they cost more? Birthday present to self ✅

The returns in performance after that price are honestly marginal. (With a couple exceptions)

If you really vibe with a maker, and they cost more? Birthday present to self ✅
That's how I landed. Makers who's knives I really like are coincidentally in a higher price bracket. Part of that is I enjoy Japanese makers and strong distal tapers. A tough combo.
Takada no hamono, Jiro, Yamada, etc.
And yes, takada no hamono qualifies in the strong taper department. It just goes from:
Thin -> thinner
rather than
Thick -> thin

Back