What’s your upper limit on knife purchases?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it's worth noting that we are probably like.. the 0.5% of psycho knife buyers.

My wife flipped (small flip) when I told her a myojin I bartered to a friend was $300 (it was $400) so I now operate under a don't ask don't tell policy lol.
Yes, this is true, but I think its awesome that there are people out there that are really into knives!

It's just like any other hobby the more you get into the more money your going to end up spending to get the highest, nicest, finest grade of knife.

Yes, this is true, but I think its awesome that there are people out there that are really into knives!
Confirmed lol
It's just like any other hobby the more you get into the more money you’re going to end up spending to get the highest, nicest, finest grade of knife.
No doubt no doubt. Didn’t mean to sound contrarian lol. Always nice to have your fetishes confirmed 😂🥹

Definitely think Japan (as always) has some of the best value bang for buck with still exceptional F&F
It's weird, it definitely depends. Smaller lesser known western makers are probably the top for bang for your buck. You could get a honyaki from fredrik spare for $300, $400? (at least 2-3 years ago not sure if pricing has changed) Same with running man forge, s grinds from eddworks for a few hundred bucks, fully stone polished knives from RDG at 800 and under...stuff that is extremely expensive getting from a japanese maker. But then stuff like pre laminated san mai damascus is super cheap from japan because they have factories pumping them out for the blacksmiths

pre laminated san mai damascus is super cheap from japan because they have factories pumping them out for the blacksmiths
*cough* Mutsumi Hinoura *cough*? Although the margins are eye watering. I'm not seeing much value coming out of Japan these days. One exception being Morihei Hisamoto W#1 fine finish.

If I go down that path, of breaking it down logically and articulately to someone, it's my experience that about 10 seconds in they get this glossed over look in their eyes and it looks like they're retreating to their happy place. Can't figure out why for the life of me.
Input buffer exceeded … sadly, the token limit of some neurotypicals maxes out around 1% of ChatGPT nowadays. 🤪🤪🤪

Last edited:
It's weird, it definitely depends. Smaller lesser known western makers are probably the top for bang for your buck. You could get a honyaki from fredrik spare for $300, $400? (at least 2-3 years ago not sure if pricing has changed) Same with running man forge, s grinds from eddworks for a few hundred bucks, fully stone polished knives from RDG at 800 and under...stuff that is extremely expensive getting from a japanese maker. But then stuff like pre laminated san mai damascus is super cheap from japan because they have factories pumping them out for the blacksmiths
Fair point. I’ve been meaning to make a thread talking about best value knives (open to all interpretations) I know there are a lot of ways to skin this cat.

*cough* Mutsumi Hinoura *cough*? Although the margins are eye watering. I'm not seeing much value coming out of Japan these days. One exception being Morihei Hisamoto W#1 fine finish.
At least Mutsumis normal stuff is still a really quite cheap like this: Gyuto Haven't seen a damascus knife from him on any other retailer than that one dealer though

The most I’ve ever paid for a knife was around AUD $1,800 (Shig Kitaeji yanagiba). I mostly stick to purchases under AUD $1,000, and will not hesitate to use anything up to around $500. Mind you most of my purchases were between 2013 and 2020, so I have a Kato 180 gyuto that is well used since I probably paid far less than $500 for it …

Fair point. I’ve been meaning to make a thread talking about best value knives (open to all interpretations) I know there are a lot of ways to skin this cat.
I'd be curious to see how those results differ from the "top knives under $300" threads. Not being snarky, I'm interested if some of the higher tier/cost knives will get thrown in and why. How much does hitting a choil with sandpaper for 30-60 seconds detract from value?

I'd be curious to see how those results differ from the "top knives under $300" threads. Not being snarky, I'm interested if some of the higher tier/cost knives will get thrown in and why. How much does hitting a choil with sandpaper for 30-60 seconds detract from value?
I don't see the snark? I mean, I think you are right? Perhaps I will make a separate thread lmao. I think there are so many different kinds of "value" but, I think at $300 there is HUGE value especially second hand. (yes yes, I know [USER=46749]@Homechef[/USER] @HumbleHomeCook will come in with knife Japan. Have yet to order but I've been browsing (doesn't hesitate to buy a Newham but thinks twice about knifeJapan despite it all)

*Edit - sorry got my home cooks mixed up

My vote is Myojin. Fantastic F&F (and yes, beveled coils) with good grinds.

To you point about choils yes.... But, I'd say I find some choils have this... jue no se qua. I'm sure someone can better define it than a noob like me.

Depends on the brand. If its a TF....value added.
LMAO. that is an understatement.

All my knives are $200 or less except for my 1922 Herder which cost $255. Mostly used knife right now is a J Adams 10” which was about $60. A good workhorse for the busy kitchen I’m currently employed in.

Back