What are the cool kids using for knife rolls these days.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i am curious, why do home cooks even have knife rolls? do you guys bring your knives to friends & family houses a lot? maybe i am in the minority on this but i have never even thought to bring my own knife let alone knives somewhere else.
I have no good knives at the cottage so when I leave town I grab the knives I'll use to chop up the animals I'm about to kill. Rocket science it must be .

Last edited:
People, if having your knives slicing through your knife roll is your #1 issue, you need to stop handling sharp things and pick up a slap chop (and half a brain obviously).

People, if having your knives slicing through your knife roll is your #1 issue, you need to stop handling sharp things and pick up a slap chop (and half a brain obviously).
i am curious, why do home cooks even have a slap chop? do you guys bring your slap chop to friends & family houses a lot? maybe i am in the minority on this but i have never even thought to bring my own slap chop let alone any slap chop somewhere else.

Hey guys it's been ages since I stalked the forums and posted :(

I'm looking for a new knife roll and have no idea who is making the good stuff at the moment so any suggestions to fellow forum members or vendors making nice gear would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

What I'm looking for is something that would possibly be slim and not to bully but still fit atleast,

2 gyutos (or one cleaver) 270mm max
1 suji or yanigiba 270mm max
1 parer
1 petty or honesuki
1 filleting knife
1 mac ceramic rod

Only the larger knives will have saya's

The style doesn't matter but I want something that looks handmade or at that level and also durability is a key factor. Leather or cloth is fine.

Thanks again in advance.

Feel free to post pics of you roll with knives!!!
Have you found anything that accommodates your knife set so far? I know you were leaning towards darkhardt initially.

I think this thread has been a bit derailed but it's funny as hell so I'll jump in [emoji23]
This is a bit like the towel thread if you have half a brain you probably will cover your knives somehow before storing them in a roll or even in a cabinet. Other than that, if you own a quallity product and treat it like **** it'll fall apart no matter how good and endurable it is, and you probably shouldn't own the product because you don't respect it.
I've owned a few rolls and I still recommended the darkhardt rolls beacuse first because of a few reasons:
Above all the quallity is top notch, other than that the design is timeless, it's a bit like tattoos you can get what's in style and regret it a few years later or you can go to one of the best artists get a timeless piece and stay happy with it forever maybe it'll age and get a nice patina over time but it'll always preform, look good and won't get out of style.

That's just my opinion for all I care anyone can order a cheap chinese roll every other month and have fun with himself.

Have you found anything that accommodates your knife set so far? I know you were leaning towards darkhardt initially.

Fair enough . It does seem one sided in this thread , but is it Darkhardt’s fault owners came forward with a lot of positive things to say ?

I wish I could recommend something else . My other stuff just all fell apart . You could of course roll them up in a towel with rubber bands , as we have all seen in kitchens at times .

I would always trust anything from JKI. If Jon carries it , you can be sure it’s quality . I’ll back that up any time ! Jon has some very nice blade guards lined with cork as well that should help fill the gaps in your kit .

Jai , let us know what you end up going with !

Fair enough . It does seem one sided in this thread , but is it Darkhardt’s fault owners came forward with a lot of positive things to say ?

I wish I could recommend something else . My other stuff just all fell apart . You could of course roll them up in a towel with rubber bands , as we have all seen in kitchens at times .

I would always trust anything from JKI. If Jon carries it , you can be sure it’s quality . I’ll back that up any time ! Jon has some very nice blade guards lined with cork as well that should help fill the gaps in your kit .

Jai , let us know what you end up going with !
No, the OP expressed an interest in darkhardt initially. Thus darkhardt testimonials. That and his budget far exceeds what I suggested which he shared afterwards. I’m just curious where he’s at with the decision. How much would a darkhardt roll that would accommodate his kit cost?

I want to plug one more time for the Proper Knife Roll from the Proper Apron Company. They're made to order in Colorado from tough waxed canvas and gorgeous, durable leather. Jamey Freeman, the guy who makes them, is great to work with; if you want your bag a little longer (or a little shorter, I imagine) he is happy to accommodate you. If you want to check out some customer reviews, check out their Etsy site.

The Darkhardt ones look great too.

why the need to insult ecchef?

Very simple. He clearly didn’t spend any time looking deeper into the website, and chose to spend his precious time slandering an honest business. I’m all for opinions, but please take the time to understand the product before you decide that this site is ‘uninformative’ and too cool for you. Lest we all settle back into cottages in Connecticut and forage our own berries and skin deer to craft one-off sage like tool rolls.

Last edited:
hrc is this supposed to be some sort of weird kaepernick reference via homage?? :D
That's just fake news... The real news is that even the space force recognizes the quality of darkhardt

I recently sharpened my slap-chop and it holds its edge longer than my ashi honyakis.

Also, I just roll my knives in paper towels/newspaper and electrical tape.

Ok, I had to Google *** was a slap-shop . Wish I never did, I actually received one of those as a gift. Too bad it doesn't fit in my Darkhardt roll with the rest of the kit I bring to the cabin or when cooking at friend's places.

I also got matching Hokusai chopsticks and rests for my Darkhardt roll
IMG_3956.jpg

IMG_3963.jpg

Ok, I had to Google *** was a slap-shop . Wish I never did, I actually received one of those as a gift. Too bad it doesn't fit in my Darkhardt roll with the rest of the kit I bring to the cabin or when cooking at friend's places.
See now you know... And knowing is half the battle... YO JOE!!!! (Pretty sure that flew over the heads of 50% of the ppl reading this thread)

The plastic edge guards can scratch the blade especially soft stainless cladding or if some grit gets inside the guard.
Cardboard works great and you can line with VCI paper, if desired...
This is actually the reason I dont use them considering when you are a professional chef you take you knives in and out so often that it could be over 5000 times a year. It starts to wear on the blade.

Not too sure why it matters aboynamedsuita is a home cook, or anybody else for that matter . Does it make his equipment less durable or lesser than ? Don’t think so .

Darkhardt’s product pictures and descriptions are more than adequate . If you need more info , their customer service is above and beyond . They have gear at several price points from low to high , just check it out .

For me, I’d rather support an American made product . There are tons of rolls and bags out there . I’ve owned lots . Lots fell apart within months , even pricier ones.

I am a chef , and I own a Darkhardt Hokusai Italian leather roll I carry to work daily . I don’t treat my stuff like **** , but I don’t baby it either . It shows no signs of build failure despite daily use for months so far . Quality of materials and build is the best I’ve experienced .

TLDR: If you’re a pro , there is no excuse for not having edge guards at least , if not sayas on every single knife . I personally can’t justify carrying $2k+ of handmade blades in a $50 roll. If you use your gear rough , maybe grab that beater roll and buy a new one every few months .
All my expensive knives have sayas

Hey guys you need to just relax haha. And I think me saying my knives cut through my roll a few times got taken the wrong way. When I had that happen I was breaking alot of fish and had multiple beater gutting knives and filleting knives and breaking knives that where just cheap carbon dexter russels. Aka super long thin pointy as **** blades :) :). And it happened like twice but it damaged the knife roll.

Also I work in different restaurants constantly sometimes up to 7 a week so not knowing the place and the chefs etc means sometimes not packing knives away in the smartest and most professional ways because most of these chefs would probably try and use a thousand dollar yanagiba to open a can :(

Also any knife I have that is worth something to me has a saya and is well looked after but I do give all my knives a solid work out.

Regarding knife rolls. I feel like do what you want with your money if you are a home cook and you like having a knife roll to store your precious knives go for it who even cares.

Lastly thanks for all the replies and stuff on the rolls. I haven't decided yet and I'm in no rush hence the budget I just know all off you guys on here professional or home cook take pride in you tools and appreciate nice things so I wanted some ideas from the like minded people.
I will look more into the jki rolls and the proper knife roll. Also I'm still inclined to keep darkhardt in my options but. All the picture you guys showed makes them look brand new. Haha so it's hard to tell how they wear.

I do like this darkhardt http://www.darkhardt.com/shop/asphyx
Pretty affordable, stylish without being carried away and not flashy.
I wouldn’t call the the site Uber hipster or whatever but I would appreciate more angles of the roll and more pics.
Someone earlier mentioned they would prefer to buy American made, this particular roll is made in Los Angeles.

And OP, since you’re carrying an actual professional kit not just a bunch of gyutos you might like the shorter asymmetric pockets. There’s like 5 of them perfect for shorter knives like your boning, filet and petty. But let’s look into covering those knives to protect your new knife roll investment okay?:)

And OP, since you’re carrying an actual professional kit not just a bunch of gyutos you might like the shorter asymmetric pockets. There’s like 5 of them perfect for shorter knives like your boning, filet and petty. But let’s look into covering those knives to protect your new knife roll investment okay?:)
Haha thanks for the positivity! I'm starting a full time job again so the knife roll with definitely not be getting flogged haha. I was working as a freelance chef for 2 years so changing jobs every day required different kits and stuff every day. Normally I just leave half of my less expensive knives at work when I work full time :). I'll try to send a pic of my knife roll. It actually had kind of netting inside where the handles slot in which eventually were out aswell.

This is actually the reason I dont use them considering when you are a professional chef you take you knives in and out so often that it could be over 5000 times a year. It starts to wear on the blade.

All my expensive knives have sayas

So use felt-lined guards. They don't scratch. Even if they did, the wear on your blade has to be less than leaving it bonking around naked in your knife roll (and cutting it open and stabbing you, apparently). And since your only knives without covers are low-end beaters, I don't know why you'd care about their developing scratches from an edge guard to begin with. But whatever.

So use felt-lined guards. They don't scratch. Even if they did, the wear on your blade has to be less than leaving it bonking around naked in your knife roll (and cutting it open and stabbing you, apparently). And since your only knives without covers are low-end beaters, I don't know why you'd care about their developing scratches from an edge guard to begin with. But whatever.
Will definitely grab some any brands you recommend?

Back