what are the essential herbs for the garden?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Poison ivy for keeping or pesky critters 😂

bk - i hate the stuff cause it just makes me pass out so i wasnt aware you were mentioning a strain. the only one i ever liked was northern lights.

That strain would be right up your alley. It's one of the very few pure sativa strains (most are hybrids). It's one of the most uplifting and energetic strains.

Parsley is my #1. 5 plants in a 2 or 3 gallon pot supplies me for the whole year. I feel like such a chump anytime I have to buy parsley. Then come chives, thyme, rosemary, basil. I also have a bay tree that I got last year and overwintered. I haven't harvested anything from it yet, but I'm looking forward to it.

At least you CAN buy it. Pft...I live in farm country yet can't buy anything fresh. Funny, when I lived in the city I always had fresh stuff at markets. Weird, isn't it>

Hope the Bay tree goes well for you!

I dont know about you guys but chives isnt too easily available back home so i used to grow that as well as basil and mint. Things like parsley, coriander, and thyme were super cheap (20 - 30 cents for a big bunch) and easy to come by so i never bothered.

parsley is definitely no1. can be left to self seed year after year as well which is a bonus. dill tends to do the same as well but can become a bit of a weed in a garden bed!

Every year I've planted parsley I get a caterpillar type bug that hits it, and only it, and within a day or two the plant is bare. I'll have 6 or 8 pots of various herbs close together and it only eats the parsley. No idea what it is but I got tired of feeding it.

I don't have any bugs in my herbs, but my cabbage and brussels sprout rows that are right beside them always get eaten by caterpillars before I get the chance to harvest anything.

I dont know about you guys but chives isnt too easily available back home so i used to grow that as well as basil and mint. Things like parsley, coriander, and thyme were super cheap (20 - 30 cents for a big bunch) and easy to come by so i never bothered.

Lucky bastard. Over here (Netherlands) they charge you silly amounts of money for fresh herbs. It's really the one thing I'd want a garden for: being able to plant fresh herbs so I can stop financing that scam. There's no reason 15 grams of tasty weeds should be 1,5 euros, yet that's what they charge... :(

Last edited by a moderator:
When it gets warm, try culantro vrs cilantro, same flavor just stronger.
Grows slower in partial shade.
Best if grown from seed, does not transplant well.

basil, thai basil, parsley, mexican and greek oregano, sage, pineapple sage, tarragon, rosemary, mints

Thai basil and pineapple sage look nice (not really a factor in our garden). Rosemary gets flowers if you let it grow.

The rosemary flowers can also be used too! I like to garnish sashimi or salads with them. Gonna try and pickle some really soon. Hopefully they turn out okay.

Back