What are we listening to lately?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oval99

Reaction score
In the spirit of my "what are we watching lately?" thread, let's share what we're listening to lately. Here goes:

-Pet Shop Boys -- I've loved their work since I was a kid and first heard "Introspective." I'm now going back to their classics and am more than pleased at how well they stand up.
-The Orb -- Moonbuilding 2703 AD. An almost too-good-to-be-true return to form. Their best since "Orblivion" And what's this? They just released an all-ambient album? That truly is too good to be true. I'm hoping for a KLF "chill-out" style album, but I'm open to any kind of ambient they cook up.
-Aphex Twin -- I'm always listening to his stuff. Sure, it may not be as groundbreaking as many think (a lot of his work is built on stuff going back to the 70s like Can and other Krautrock, as well as Steve Roach) but he has a trademark style, which is rare in an era where most electronic music sounds the same. I know an Aphex Twin song when I hear it.
-Steely Dan -- mostly Aja and Katy Lied. In particular, I think Katy Lied is criminally underrated. Session music at its zenith. And for those who think the 'Dan were too perfectionist to be emotional, listen to "Deacon Blues" and "Your Gold Teeth Part II"
-Rick James -- surprised it took me so long to get into his work. Man, "Give it To me Baby," "Ghetto Life" and "Make Love to Me" are stone-cold songs. Lusty, horny, and buzzing with too much cocaine. Just the way disco/funk should be. Prince may have gotten more attention, but you'd be foolish to forget about Rick. His songs had more urban oomph than Prince's, so often gritty and sleazy, whereas Prince's sexy stuff so always seemed smooth and choreographed (not that I don't love Prince): Prince wanted you to know he was a serious musician, even though he had a gonzo sex drive. But Rick, at his best, was blown out and loose (even dangerous), hinting at unspeakable demons (apparently he really was a sexual superfreak). Sometimes I just like that better.
-George Benson -- man, people who only know Benson for his pop-crossover stuff ("Breezin'") need to listen to his earlier stuff. "George Benson Cookbook" has jaw-droppingly nimble guitar work (a listen to "The Cooker" will silence all doubts), and "Beyond the Blue Horizon" is good from top to bottom, starting off with a killer cover of Miles's "So What."
-Talking Heads -- my friend twisted my arm to listen to "Naked." Glad he did. "Blind" is a great latin-infused song, and "sax and violins" is one of the most affecting songs they ever did. Right up there with "Naive Melody."

I got a DAP (Cayin N3) and CIEMs (Custom Art Music Two) recently so I started to convert most of our CDs to FLAC and got some more albums. It is mix of pretty much everything (save for German Blasenmusik).

Listening to Klaus Schulze right now. If you're into synth music, you owe it to yourself to listen to Klaus, one of the almighty masters. You really can't go wrong with most of his 70s stuff, but Moondawn is a great place to start. Spellbinding. Protip: listen to it when you're driving, preferably on an empty highway late at night.

[video=youtube;5fajl68HRgg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fajl68HRgg&t=3163s"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fajl68HRgg&t=3163s[/video]

New headphones have put in me in a frenzy. Lately I've been listening a lot to the following:

Porcupine Tree
Steven Wilson
Alan Parsons
Blackfield
Carpenter Brut
Anathema
Chicago
David Gilmour
Vangelis
Steely Dan
Radiohead
Pink Floyd
Perturbator
Opeth
Paul Simon
Metamorphosis Jazz Band, Noriyuki Iwadare
Massive Attack
King Crimson
Koji Kondo
Jennifer Warnes
Angelo Badalamenti
Miles Davis

Miles
Dead
Coltrain
Phil Lesh/friends
Steve Kimmock
Scuber Mountain
Van Morrison
Bob Marley
Allman Brothers Band
Wilco
Ryan Adams

Roger Waters - is this the life we really wan't?

"Picture a courthouse with no f*cking laws
Picture a cathouse with no f*cking whores
Picture a s*ithouse with no f*cking drains
Picture a leader with no f*cking brains"

Very good!!

Lars

In "what are we watching lately?" thread, I mentioned I'm watching a lot of classics. When it comes to music, for some reason I do the opposite. Newly produced music, although the sound tends to be classic. Guitars or synths, right now mostly synths. I listen a lot to music produced by Hélène de Thoury. Last year, it was Minuit Machine, but this year it has been her solo project Hante. Dark and melancolic with a very classic synth sound, if you're into that. Synth pop, this is not. Well, maybe the last one linked below, which should be listened on with headphones. :)

[video=youtube;ayiALUGdiyY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayiALUGdiyY[/video]

[video=youtube;2jgiDjndEPw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jgiDjndEPw[/video]

[video=youtube;fChnyDYyGEM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fChnyDYyGEM[/video]

i would like to record all my vinyl records onto hard drive, but don't want to spend the money on good equipment for that process. i can do it now but the quality is not worth the hassle, besides i dont have the time :D

so for now, just streaming internet radio stations of 90s hiphop and alternative

Some impressive stuff there Damage Inc:

-Chicago: Based on your tastes in previous posts, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you're not talking about the Peter Cetera era :biggrin:
-Steely Dan: good man! I think I mentioned them upthread. One of my faves.
-Massive Attack: yes yes and yes. "Blue Lines" and "Mezzanine" are two of my favorite albums.
-Miles Davis: wow, don't know where to begin. Last year I got into him via Bitches' Brew. Blew my mind. Since then I've listened to Agharta and it's similarly volcanic. Just don't know where to go next.

i would like to record all my vinyl records onto hard drive, but don't want to spend the money on good equipment for that process. i can do it now but the quality is not worth the hassle, besides i dont have the time

-Tell me about it. I've begun ripping and uploading my 1100 DVDs, Blurays and VCDs to the Plex Server . The potential is mind-blowing (I'll have remote access to my entire movie and TV collection anywhere, anytime, from any mobile device! Yowwwwweee!). But then reality intrudes: there's this thing called encoding, and it's a big mess. All the new terminology to learn and all the tweaks to my ripped video files to make sure they play smooth is daunting. Damn, i wish it were easy. I can easily see this process taking 12-18 months. But when it's done, man...:jumpy:

Also rediscovering Daft Punk's Homework. It's been a pleasure. Bought it twenty years ago and didn't think much of it at the time (I was into ambient/experimental techno back then and was expecting that, believe it or not). But now I love it. Plays like a weird Giorgio Moroder Hi-NRG disco/hip-hop/dance hybrid. Great party music.

Some impressive stuff there Damage Inc:

-Chicago: Based on your tastes in previous posts, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you're not talking about the Peter Cetera era :biggrin:
-Steely Dan: good man! I think I mentioned them upthread. One of my faves.
-Massive Attack: yes yes and yes. "Blue Lines" and "Mezzanine" are two of my favorite albums.
-Miles Davis: wow, don't know where to begin. Last year I got into him via Bitches' Brew. Blew my mind. Since then I've listened to Agharta and it's similarly volcanic. Just don't know where to go next.

Chicago II is the golden album. Steven Wilson did a remix/remaster and it's a dream to listen to.
Steely Dan's Aja while I still think is a little emotionally stunted, does have brilliant streaks.
Massive Attack Mezzanine will instantly and obviously point out any flaws in any stereo system. It's quite incredible in that regard.

New headphones have put in me in a frenzy

What brand? Sennheiser? Beyerdynamic? AKG? None of the above?

I love a good set of headphones. Some music just sounds better on them. I don't think some electronic music can be fully appreciated without them. They pick up on subtle nuances and gradual shifts in tone better than loudspeakers IMO. Case in point below. And for those who care (that would be...nobody LOL) my screen name comes from the simple fact I was listening to oval when I came up with it :lol2:

[video=youtube;vvW6qiTkZdw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvW6qiTkZdw[/video]

Wowee Damageinc! That thing look amazing (the price tag certainly is). And I thought my Beyerdynamics were over-the-top. And you may be the only person I've "met" other than myself who knows that headphones need amps too :wink: Did you buy from headphone.com? I remember getting my gear from them years ago. And I'm disappointed to hear you went cheap. You should've bought these :bigeek:

No, I purchased from Thomann. They have good pricing, great customer service, fast delivery, and 3 year warranty.

I already own a pair of Audeze LCD-2, but I have them up for sale as the TH-900 is a replacement for them. The LCD-4 is overpriced to say the least.

Listening to Lotzza ZZ Top. So many great albums/songs. And I'll say it: I think "El Loco" is a massively underrated record. Some personal faves:

-Fool For Your Stockings
-Legs
-Sharp-Dressed Man
-Give Me All Your Lovin'
-Beer Drinkers and Hell Raisers
-Rough Boy
-Just Got Paid
-Pearl Necklace (the filthiest "radio friendly" song since Lou Reed's "Walk on the Wild Side")
-I'm Bad, I'm Nationwide
-Sleeping Bag
-My Head's In Mississippi
-Drive You Home
-Party on the Patio
-So Hard
-I Need You Tonight
-Ten Foot Pole
-Heard it on the X
-Got Me Under Pressure ("flippin' out with Great Danes"? Wait, whaaaatttt?)
-Give it Up

And let's not forget this great tune:

[video=youtube;76X2nZksDd0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76X2nZksDd0[/video]

Sound City (Real to Reel)
It's a compilation of various artists from Lee Ving to Paul McCartney. Produced by Dave Grohl, recorded the old fashioned way, on tape with the band playing in the studio together. Below is just a sample. Best on Vinyl.

[video=youtube;veJG7lkHIyQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veJG7lkHIyQ&index=4&list=PL8ZHvu3MTHDdOM0tsF3_e1w2NsRoRS0VO[/video]

"dry and dusty" thrash/death metal in general ... celtic frost, carcass, all out war ... times when it annoys the heck of you, times when it is the only cure...

Oval...I had the opportunity to see ZZ Top live last summer. I must say for their age they still rock hard. Billy Gibbons is definitely still on top of his sh*t! I think he's one of the more underappreciated guitarists, vocalists and songwriters of that tex-electric blues rock genre (did i just invent that?). The Blues just flows out of this guy it's incredible, if it were not for his showmanship and persona I'm sure he would've been a crazy fine blues artists a la Duane Allman.

As for what I've been listening to lately. It's been mostly binge listening to The Tragically Hip discography and some older Wu-Tang/GZA stuff through usually a pair of Shure SRH1540 closed-backs for all you headphone nerds following the thread.

Pantera's "Art of Shredding" right now because I'm f**king pissed off now. Seriously, that opening...

[video=youtube;yhXuMD9Wlro]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhXuMD9Wlro[/video]

Don't you mean "f**king hostile" haha I fing love me some Pantera...*cranks Primal Concrete Sledge on the headphones*

Hey, I just discovered I missed a new Alea Jacta Est Album last year :)

Should also fit the criterium of "good listening when pissed off" ...

[video=youtube;cF1t4Gf2TcA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cF1t4Gf2TcA[/video] (warning: explicit and unapologetic HC stereotypes.)

Oh, and new First Blood too... time for some straight and nasty mosh music :)

Back