what are you drinking tonight?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Knob Creek Bourbon

“Vegetarians, and their Hezbollah-like splinter faction, the vegans ... are the enemy of everything good and decent in the human spirit.” ― Anthony Bourdain

Now that I live near Napa and Sonoma, where to start? FWIW, I got a case from Imagery Winery the first week I was here. I'm going this weekend, estate recommendations welcome.

What part exactly are you going to? A lot of the best places have limited opening times or you have to call to set up an appointment. And in Napa and Sonoma they have higher tasting fees, so my rule is in these cases is to never pay for mediocre wine.

Though I will admit I have never been to Napa. It was out of my budget before I had a budget.

k.

2000 Ch. Brane Cantenac.

I'm down to my last bottle now.

What part exactly are you going to? A lot of the best places have limited opening times or you have to call to set up an appointment. And in Napa and Sonoma they have higher tasting fees, so my rule is in these cases is to never pay for mediocre wine.

Though I will admit I have never been to Napa. It was out of my budget before I had a budget.

k.

I live 30 minutes away, probably less. Actually, if I wanted to I could live here and easily commute to work. I don't have a plan on what estate or winery to go to; hence, looking for places to make appointments with. Normally, if you join their wine club then you can taste wine for free, among many other perks. So where are the hidden or in plain-site gems?

Jason

PS Napa and Sonoma are right next to each other, while it's a fairly large area it's not something you can't see in a day.

I live 30 minutes away, probably less. Actually, if I wanted to I could live here and easily commute to work. I don't have a plan on what estate or winery to go to; hence, looking for places to make appointments with. Normally, if you join their wine club then you can taste wine for free, among many other perks. So where are the hidden or in plain-site gems?

Jason

PS Napa and Sonoma are right next to each other, while it's a fairly large area it's not something you can't see in a day.

I'll jot down some of the wineries that I keep on my to-do list. I did do a bit of research last fall as I was going to make a trip to Sonoma, but I canceled it. You are correct in that Napa and the Sonoma town/valley area are small, but Sonoma stretches things a bit north with all the sub AVAs (russian river, dry creek, anderson valley, among others). The distance isn't so much the problem, it is fitting in the drinking along the way ;)

karring

Karring

Got a few new wines

Liquid farm white hills - awesome, very chablis like none of that flabby buttery cali chard style

Desparada sackcloth and ashes 12, again awesome, great big fruit bomb with steel backbone

Excited to get a case of Turley and Carlisle, not tried any yet though

At the high end got a six pack og No Girls 2010 & saxum broken stones 11 i know it will be baby killing but im going to have to open a Saxum just to try.

You get anything new ?

Karring

Got a few new wines

Liquid farm white hills - awesome, very chablis like none of that flabby buttery cali chard style

Desparada sackcloth and ashes 12, again awesome, great big fruit bomb with steel backbone

Excited to get a case of Turley and Carlisle, not tried any yet though

At the high end got a six pack og No Girls 2010 & saxum broken stones 11 i know it will be baby killing but im going to have to open a Saxum just to try.

You get anything new ?

I got the usual suspects: Denner, Booker, Epoch, Linne Calodo, and Herman Story, but one new one Rhys. Clos Solene, Rasa, and Wilde Farm are on the way. I haven't tried Wilde Farm before.

I've heard excellent reports on Liquid Farm, and I actually just looked at their website this morning. I got only six bottles of Turley this time.

k.

Pilsner Urquell followed by Glenlivet and Glenmorangie depending on how bad the Cyclone gets.

Got me a whiskyfestival tomorrow. About a 1000 malts to taste, 500 of them without extra charges over the entrance fee of €30. It's going to be a blast, 4 hours of enjoyment!

it sounds like a hangover is to be expected lol , have fun !
Got me a whiskyfestival tomorrow. About a 1000 malts to taste, 500 of them without extra charges over the entrance fee of €30. It's going to be a blast, 4 hours of enjoyment!

it sounds like a hangover is to be expected lol , have fun !
Free water, coffee and sandwiches are included :)

I didn't have a real hangover last year when I visited, just keep hydrated. I could get stupid drunk because it's only a 2 minute walk from my front door. Very lucky to have something like this festival in my small home city.

I got the usual suspects: Denner, Booker, Epoch, Linne Calodo, and Herman Story, but one new one Rhys. Clos Solene, Rasa, and Wilde Farm are on the way. I haven't tried Wilde Farm before.

I've heard excellent reports on Liquid Farm, and I actually just looked at their website this morning. I got only six bottles of Turley this time.

k.

Drinking the Dark Star tonight, they share a tasting room with Brian Benson, superb value

Apple juice. Have been sick for a couple of days. This sucks.

Stefan

Apple juice. Have been sick for a couple of days. This sucks.

Stefan

Apparently it's going around the island then Stefan. I've had terrible aches and a sore throat the last two days. OJ and acai for me hah. Hope you're feeling better!

bedrock 2013 Sauvignon Blanc
Bourchard Grand Gru Meursault
Evan Williams vintage bourbon

Not feeling any pain

Back