what are you drinking tonight?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quite nicely! It had that old-wine complexity but was still lively in the glass.
Nice, thanks. Back in the late eighties to early nineties* a lot of California wines were less extracted and with a bit more acid than later on; even modestly priced bottlings aged gracefully.

*See how I avoided that apostrophe question?

Nice, thanks. Back in the late eighties to early nineties* a lot of California wines were less extracted and with a bit more acid than later on; even modestly priced bottlings aged gracefully.

*See how I avoided that apostrophe question?
I still have a few ‘80s Ridge Monte Bello rattling around in the back of the wine frij. I have not tasted many premium California reds from the current century, but I have experienced same. They’re a bit … blockier.
I’m impressed with how well my oldtimers are holding up — I’d say they’re outpacing my Bordeaux, despite my being an insufferable claret snob.

*I’m gratified to see I’ve made a difference! Made my day, you did.

Last edited:
There is something immensely special about this. I love aged Calvados and really just all well made fruit brandies, but this balances rawness and elegance so well it’s in a unique tier alongside only the best Austrian schnapps
IMG_0222.jpeg

Been a fan of her wines for a very long time.
This was from last night's simple dinner...old school sea bass with capers & lemon and salad.
View attachment 324329

yeah. she's been pretty important, in several regards, for the last decade. and she's still not 40!

i usually drink the sp68 in its youth – like, immediately :D – and the 2022 red was the best i've had in some years.
i haven't had the white yet – but a few bottles are waiting for their demise :)

i really like the siccagno; frappato as well, but usuallya little less so. have a handful of grotte alte in my stash, but can't say the one's i'ce devoured have been reasonably priced. well, relative to most bourgogne the are …

Been a fan of her wines for a very long time.
This was from last night's simple dinner...old school sea bass with capers & lemon and salad.
View attachment 324329
We opened our last 2020 SP68 bianco last night, unfortunately tainted by hydrogen sulfide. Which is odd, because two previous bottles from the same purchase were beautiful. I usually assume H2S is a batch problem, not bottle variation.
But stuff happens, and I’ll definitely jump in for a couple current vintage when I see them. One of my favorites.

Braupakt, a coop between two of my favorite breweries...totally weird to see these two work together IMHO, but hey, the result is a stellar beer, complexity on all levels and great balance between bitters and flavors. Liked it so much I bought the remaining stock at my supplier.

IMG-20240531-WA0002.jpg

Braupakt, a coop between two of my favorite breweries...totally weird to see these two work together IMHO, but hey, the result is a stellar beer, complexity on all levels and great balance between bitters and flavors. Liked it so much I bought the remaining stock at my supplier.

View attachment 325389
That idea is so crazy it just might work!

I dunno how it;'s elsewhere but where I live we now have a thing called 'sugar tax'. Invented to wean folks of high sugar soda, sounds good though I'm quite sure that trading sugar for artificial sweetener is swapping one disaster for a new one but OK.....

I discovered that Schweppes Tonic silently started to become 0 sugar.....YUCK....there is but one brand left that uses good old sugar and not that artifically tasting sickener.

I dunno how it;'s elsewhere but where I live we now have a thing called 'sugar tax'. Invented to wean folks of high sugar soda, sounds good though I'm quite sure that trading sugar for artificial sweetener is swapping one disaster for a new one but OK.....
Didn't we do this same thing with butter and margarine? 😄

Back