what are you shooting? (handgun thread)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hellcat pro with red dot.

17129559372733753321488222739613.jpg

how quiet can you get a suppressor. I mean what is the real concern with a suppresser? is it that you can snipe out of a truck better and kill civilians?

I don't love that you can't get suppressors more easily for hearing safety. But... I just wonder how quiet can you really get a gun and does that = more dangerous?
<120db for a rimfire, usually about ~140db for a centerfire. They're at their best with subsonic ammunition. I think it has less to do with legitimate safety concerns as it does with a general fear factor (like banning switchblades and ballisongs) that's possibly influenced by inaccurate movie effects.

Honestly I wish we could have them here, not so much for rifles and handguns but for shotguns, and less for the noise of my own gun as others around me. Shooting from a blind with two other people is a rough time on your ears. I wear plugs these days, but it makes hearing the ducks a lot harder.

Last edited:
<120db for a rimfire, usually about ~140db for a centerfire. They're at their best with subsonic ammunition. I think it has less to do with legitimate safety concerns as it does with a general fear factor (like banning switchblades and ballisongs) that's possibly influenced by anachronistic movie effects.
Pretty sure we banned Bali songs because people were cutting the whizz out of their hands like it was going out of style.

Could be wrong.

Also 140 is still pretty loud… is that with subsonic? Just asking (not trying to lead you on or say you’re wrong. I literally have no idea)

how quiet can you get a suppressor. I mean what is the real concern with a suppresser? is it that you can snipe out of a truck better and kill civilians?

I don't love that you can't get suppressors more easily for hearing safety. But... I just wonder how quiet can you really get a gun and does that = more dangerous?
Depends on the gun, suppressor and ammo used, but you can't make them movie quite with real ammo. A device does not make one a criminal, criminals don't follow laws by definition. So I fail to see how your concern and scenario is realistic, not picking on you specifically but your are displaying a very common backwards reasoning on this. Most states allow civilians to buy suppressors, so either reality is different in these states or something doesn't add up with the whole line of reasoning that suppressors would make criminals out of otherwise normal law abiding citizens whom have no interest in shooting anyone. There is also no data that would indicate that allowing suppressors increases rates of shooting or murder, so again we can make up all sorts of fantastic scenarios, but it is better to operate in reality.

Depends on the gun, suppressor and ammo used, but you can't make them movie quite with real ammo. A device does not make one a criminal, criminals don't follow laws by definition. So I fail to see how your concern and scenario is realistic, not picking on you specifically but your are displaying a very common backwards reasoning on this.
to clarify. I’m not making this argument at all, and if it seems like I was then that is on me for not being clear. I was simply posing if there is something I’m missing like why the hate on suppressors? I am all for more hearing protection for yourself, and reducing noise pollution just to be more polite if you are shooting out doors or you are rural and wanna pop off rounds without your neighbors a few miles away being like what the F

My example of the sniper rifle in a truck was just a scenario, I do not have live firearm (in a combat or tactical situation) so it’s just something I tried to come up with as an ignorant layman who just shoots guns at ranges for fun.
Edit: totally recognizing it’s a stupid situation but the best situation my ignorant brain could conjure.

Looking up in Google, I do see that you get a modest noise reduction. But again nothing that is like… 60db which is like a vacuum. Basically it seems like enough to not kill your hearing but not quiet enough to be anywhere even remotely in the ballpark of the insanity shown on Tv and movies.

Furthermore, not to make this political, but I do firmly believe in universal checks and better more consistent regulation. Not saying no guns, because I don’t think that is reasonably feasible in this country. But finding a reasonable middle ground that I hope everyone can accept. Problem being is people are losing their reasonability. My point of bringing this up is we should be factual about suppressors. If the only effect of suppressors is to protect hearing and it does not pose an increased cause of death or inability to deter use in horrible events then there is not a good reason to make it so hard to buy…. In fact we should promote the use of them if for nothing else than saving hearing
Edit: and/or politicians are just using this as a rallying flag.

Last edited:
<120db for a rimfire, usually about ~140db for a centerfire. They're at their best with subsonic ammunition. I think it has less to do with legitimate safety concerns as it does with a general fear factor (like banning switchblades and ballisongs) that's possibly influenced by anachronistic movie effects.

Honestly I wish we could have them here, not so much for rifles and handguns but for shotguns, and less for the noise of my own gun as others around me. Shooting from a blind with two other people is a rough time on your ears. I wear plugs these days, but it makes hearing the ducks a lot harder.
Suppressing shotguns is tough due to the volume and caliber involved. They exist, but are large and heavy, you probably wouldn't want to use one in most cases since they mess with the balance and aiming.

Pretty sure we banned Bali songs because people were cutting the whizz out of their hands like it was going out of style.

Could be wrong.

Also 140 is still pretty loud… is that with subsonic? Just asking (not trying to lead you on or say you’re wrong. I literally have no idea)
140 is about the level created by the sonic crack of a supersonic bullet. I think the best centerfire rifle suppressors will hit around 135db with subsonic ammo. If you're curious about real data there it a plethora of it out there comparing calibers and makes of suppressor since it's a huge selling point. The reduction in apparent noise has at least as much to do with lowering the tone of the shot as it does the actual decibel level.

Suppressing shotguns is tough due to the volume and caliber involved. They exist, but are large and heavy, you probably wouldn't want to use one in most cases since they mess with the balance and aiming.
My SX3 is light enough, it would probably swing better with another 15 or 20oz on the muzzle. Probably be worth recoil reduction too. Love that thing but F-me I wish they made 3.5" chambered 12's proper 10 gauge weight.

Imo it’s a wash. Lose some freedoms, gain others. Moving to a state passing laws aimed squarely at nixing sexual and reproductive freedoms is net negative in my book.
I'm not political. I literally don't know of such places. I'm not religious either, so don't go there. I was speaking of specifically guns rights.

I'm not political. I literally don't know of such places. I'm not religious either, so don't go there. I was speaking of specifically guns rights.
I have found it quite difficult to separate the one thing from the others. So I adopt a “bigger picture” view where I can.

I have found it quite difficult to separate the one thing from the others. So I adopt a “bigger picture” view where I can.
Let's stick to the Constitution, as that is the subject we are speaking of, and the thread. Those others are not in the Constitution, and are decided at the state level, via the Constitution. Like most things in life, I don't have a cutthroat opinion on any of those.

There’s also the matter of a shot of pellets spreading upon leaving the choke. Best noise reduction comes with keeping the holes in the baffles as close to projectile diameter as possible. And then there’s the wad …

I’ve only been around shotgunners who are using light trap or skeet loads. Those are not very loud.

Let's stick to the Constitution, as that is the subject we are speaking of, and the thread. Those others are not in the Constitution, and are decided at the state level, via the Constitution. Like most things in life, I don't have a cutthroat opinion on any of those.
Lately I’ve seen some seriously weird interpretations of that document coming from the appellate courts. Thus I find little relief in your proposal.

There’s also the matter of a shot of pellets spreading upon leaving the choke. Best noise reduction comes with keeping the holes in the baffles as close to projectile diameter as possible. And then there’s the wad …

I’ve only been around shotgunners who are using light trap or skeet loads. Those are not very loud.
Yes, absolutely, not straight forward at all and not popular for all the aforementioned reasons.

I don't know if commercial ones even existed before the "No country for old men". Unfortunately, as much effect as the movie industry has on our lives and on the suppressor subject in particular they are not exactly friends of physics.

Last edited:
I saw on a website, can't remember which, of a shotgun with a built-in suppressor. Not that I would want a suppressed shotgun. Kinda takes the point away.
For hunting out of a blind with a bunch of people around you I can see a point, plus recoil reduction. On the other hand too many negatives in my opinion and not enough benefits.

Yes, absolutely, not straight forward at all and not popular for all the aforementioned reasons.

I don't know if commercial ones even existed before the "No country for old men". Unfortunately, as much effect as the movie industry has on our lives and on the suppressor subject in particular they are not exactly friends of physics.
Exactly. Hollywood suppressors make this dainty little “thwip” sound that is as realistic as a Hollywood car chase (not counting Bullitt).

Make the core of it a heavily ported barrel extension with a bored in choke with baffles and a casing and that should take care of every issue beyond the weight and balance....I've been dreaming about this too long.

'It depends'. Especially on whether or not you're also using subsonic ammo, but also what kind of caliber. Then there's quite some variety in suppressor design, and for example having single use additions to it like rubber baffles. But a supressed .22 handgun with an integral silencer is of course going to be a lot more quiet than a big 7.62x51 rifle.

As others mentioned they're mostly nowhere near as quiet as portrayed in the movies, however there's a few good reasons why they're generally controlled:
-Sound signature is still significantly reduced, and carries much less far. The db reduction is a bit deceptive since it's a logarithmic scale. As a result the range at which a gun is heard, or identified as a gun (because the signature changes) is significantly reduced. Especially the latter can be the biggest advantage in an urban situation; people might still hear the sound signature of the gun but not particularly recognize it as a gun being fired.
-A significant factor in controlling suppressors (at least here) has been to keep them from being easily accessible to poachers, as it would make it much easier for them to do their business unnoticed.
-One of the main advantages in a tactical sense of having a suppressor is that it makes it much harder to identify the location of a shooter or even what direction the shots are coming from. It's becomes much harder to identify a shooter's location just by sound.
-The 'limiting legal access doesn't work because criminals don't care about laws' doesn't really fly when you properly limit them everywhere. The main reason gun control is so difficult in places that try to do it in the US is that people can simply acquire guns much easier from other states so it's very easy to introduce guns into the illegal circuit. Hence also why something like 70% or more of the guns found in Mexican gang violence are from the US.

I think the mass shootings are demonizing guns more.

Worst PR ever. I’d love a suppressor. Firing a gun indoors is loud. But it ain’t happening.
Mass shootings are nothing new. Politicians and their media, combined with lack of critical thinking these days is the problem. I'm not suggesting I support mass shootings, but when all the voices in your life are demonizing guns, and not the person responsible, it becomes clear. Kitchen knives have been used in murder, and let's pretend the media and politicians began demonizing them and called for their ban. Ironically, this is happening in some places. It's the person, not the tool.

Mass shootings are nothing new. Politicians and their media, combined with lack of critical thinking these days is the problem. I'm not suggesting I support mass shootings, but when all the voices in your life are demonizing guns, and not the person responsible, it becomes clear. Kitchen knives have been used in murder, and let's pretend the media and politicians began demonizing them and called for their ban. Ironically, this is happening in some places. It's the person, not the tool.
Rather ironic to complain about 'lack of critical thinking' only to then proceed to parrot the gun industry's propaganda.
How is it 'demonizing guns' to at least have the most basic controls in place? Putting the blame on mental health is odd when the gun industry campaigns against any measures that would potentially stop guns from getting into the hands of people with mental health problems.

Not that mental health is anything but a red herring... I get it, you like your hobby and want to keep doing it without limitation and that's fine, but at least be honest about it instead of complaining about 'the administration demonizing guns' when there clearly is a gun problem in the US (the statistics are just overwhelming).

Rather ironic to complain about 'lack of critical thinking' only to then proceed to parrot the gun industry's propaganda.
How is it 'demonizing guns' to at least have the most basic controls in place? Putting the blame on mental health is odd when the gun industry campaigns against any measures that would potentially stop guns from getting into the hands of people with mental health problems.

Not that mental health is anything but a red herring... I get it, you like your hobby and want to keep doing it without limitation and that's fine, but at least be honest about it instead of complaining about 'the administration demonizing guns' when there clearly is a gun problem in the US (the statistics are just overwhelming).
Netherlands. Anyways.

Netherlands. Anyways.
Yes... I don't have a beef in this fight. It frankly doesn't make much of a a difference to me how many people shoot eachother in the USA or what you do with your gun laws. I'm just allergic to nonsense (from both sides of the argument).

But humor me... on most relevant stats (like gun deaths, homocides, etc) the US's numbers are about 20-25x higher than the Netherlands.
Do you really think Americans suffer from 20x more insanity than the Netherlands?

Last edited:
-The 'limiting legal access doesn't work because criminals don't care about laws' doesn't really fly when you properly limit them everywhere. The main reason gun control is so difficult in places that try to do it in the US is that people can simply acquire guns much easier from other states so it's very easy to introduce guns into the illegal circuit. Hence also why something like 70% or more of the guns found in Mexican gang violence are from the US.

The argument works in the case of suppressors in the US for two reasons. First like you’ve correctly pointed out since most states allow them limiting them in some states is pointless as far as keeping them out of hands of criminals is concerned. Similar to other limitations on certain features that are unique to some states. The second reason is that suppressors are very simple devices in principle and can be easily manufactured with basic tools and knowledge. Of course these will not be as slick and efficient as the best commercial ones, but they will still do what you’ve described as suppressor attributes. Because of these realities the laws prohibiting them only work on law abiding citizens.

Back