What are your opinions about the most respected knife? (Piece of advice for new comers)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On a recent facebook poll amongst my non knife nerd colleagues...
The vote was almost universally Global!

Not owning any of the Kato / Shigefusa ... my favourite cutter is my Toyama.

But if I had to choose most respected... I would say whatever JKI recommend for me.

And I was just coming by to say : don't buy Global or Shun thinking you'll have a feel of a J knife. :D I did that... Global. Don't. From there all should be fine.

Otherwise, don't be too afraid to follow your instinct and try something that pleases YOU - NOT what people will tell you to buy. You can ask for advice and you'll get very good advice here, but in the end make your own decisions.

If you don't like a knife, stop using it, take pictures, post in BST. Someone usually manifests. I had 860$ of about new knives I didn't feel I should keep based on my preferences which had developed quite a bit. Sold them for about 720$. I think the 140$ lost was the best investment of my life, if you look at it from the right perspective.

Edit: well, of my knife life.

I like Watanabe knives. He sold thousands and you don't see them that often on BST so it seems many like these blades.
Anyway this is a question of taste like a favorite song or color..
As many stated, buying used is a good way to try without spending much or without spending anything sometimes. If you use the knife a couple of times, you can sell it for the same price without bad conscience.

Last edited:
I like Watanabe knives. He sold thousands of them and you don't see that often on BST so it seems many like these blades.
Anyway buying used is a good way to try without spending much.

Me too, I bought four of them and they are all great cutters. Two were gifted to my granddaughter and she loves them.

Maybe it's directly against of some views in here and I agree many of them but still think preparing a list is good way to start deep searching for new members including me. I made this popular knives/makers list (not gonna say most respected) after reading hundreds of comments about the knives/makers you were talking about. I probably miss many other makers in here, I tried my best. I honestly didn’t even know many of them and after did this list my perspective has changed little bit. I hope it'll help others too.

I must warn new members again. This is not a final result, you must find best fit yourself, this may be a path that makes your journey little smooth maybe not. :)

PS: I hope I didn't do any duplication or misspelling.

GOOD TO START
Fujiwara FKM
Fujiwara FKH
Mac Pro
Masamoto HC
Masamoto VG
Misono 440
Misono Dragon
Misono UX10
Suisin Inox
Takamura VG10
Tanaka VG10
Tojiro DP

Anryu AS
Ashi Ginga
Ashi Hamono
Gesshin Ginga
Gesshin Kagero
Gesshin Uraku
Hattori FH
Hattori KD
JCK Blue Moon
Kaeru
Konosuke HD
Konosuke Sanjo
Konosuke Fujiyama
Masahiro
Masakage Koishi
Masakage Mizu
Masakage Yuki
Masamoto KS
Shibata Kotetsu
Takamura Migaki R2
Takamura Pro
Takeda
Tanaka Ginsan
Tanaka Nashiji B#2
Tanaka R2
Teruyasu Fujiwara Maboroshi
Teruyasu Fujiwara Denka
Yu Kurasaki R2

WORKHORSE
Gengetsu
Hinoura, Matsumi W#2
Kato
Kippington Workpony
Kochi Migaki B#2
Kochi KU
Matsubara
Mazaki W2
Munetoshi
Toyama
Wakui
Watanabe Pro
Watanabe KU
Yoshikane SKD

I must also warn new members: there are tons of lists out there, e.g. the “100 knives to try before you die” or whatever thread, and others. But you should just go buy something. Talk to a dealer if you don’t already have a working knowledge of current makers, and take their recommendation.

I must also warn new members: there are tons of lists out there, e.g. the “100 knives to try before you die” or whatever thread, and others. But you should just go buy something. Talk to a dealer if you don’t already have a working knowledge of current makers, and take their recommendation.

I would talk to Jon at JKI he won't steal you wrong and he has a whole lot of knowledge.

+100 to what Ian said. You just don't know what you don't know. Until you get a knife and use it for some time you just don't know what works for you. Start with something that's been suggested, but you have to jump in. Even after using just one quality knife for a while you'll know infinitely more about your preferences than through just reading.

And when you find the best knife, it will only be the best of the knives that you had. Then you will think how many knives you haven't had yet - you haven't used ...... but you have two kidneys, and one is enough ;)

Maybe it's directly against of some views in here and I agree many of them but still think preparing a list is good way to start deep searching for new members including me. I made this popular knives/makers list (not gonna say most respected) after reading hundreds of comments about the knives/makers you were talking about. I probably miss many other makers in here, I tried my best. I honestly didn’t even know many of them and after did this list my perspective has changed little bit. I hope it'll help others too.

I must warn new members again. This is not a final result, you must find best fit yourself, this may be a path that makes your journey little smooth maybe not. :)

PS: I hope I didn't do any duplication or misspelling.

GOOD TO START
Fujiwara FKM
Fujiwara FKH
Mac Pro
Masamoto HC
Masamoto VG
Misono 440
Misono Dragon
Misono UX10
Suisin Inox
Takamura VG10
Tanaka VG10
Tojiro DP

Anryu AS
Ashi Ginga
Ashi Hamono
Gesshin Ginga
Gesshin Kagero
Gesshin Uraku
Hattori FH
Hattori KD
JCK Blue Moon
Kaeru
Konosuke HD
Konosuke Sanjo
Konosuke Fujiyama
Masahiro
Masakage Koishi
Masakage Mizu
Masakage Yuki
Masamoto KS
Shibata Kotetsu
Takamura Migaki R2
Takamura Pro
Takeda
Tanaka Ginsan
Tanaka Nashiji B#2
Tanaka R2
Teruyasu Fujiwara Maboroshi
Teruyasu Fujiwara Denka
Yu Kurasaki R2

WORKHORSE
Gengetsu
Hinoura, Matsumi W#2
Kato
Kippington Workpony
Kochi Migaki B#2
Kochi KU
Matsubara
Mazaki W2
Munetoshi
Toyama
Wakui
Watanabe Pro
Watanabe KU
Yoshikane SKD
All Japanese? There are scores of great makers outside Japan I’d put up against anyone’s work.

It’s been mentioned already, but each person’s journey is different in the knife world. Not everyone is ready to jump in the deep end, so it’s fair to say that shun/global and the like aren’t bad knives, they’re just not for the discerning connoisseur. Environment and ethos take up a lot of real estate in this convo. ‘Most respected’ for a line cook in a banquet kitchen, versus a seasoned fine-dining cook, versus a motivated home cook- are extremely different perspectives. And I’m actually glad that my first foray into these knives were all largely stainless and nearly indestructible. Hell, I even had Jon tell me there was no need for me to buy certain knives along the way, and in retrospect he was right every time. There’s an odd justice in a cook’s wage and its direct effect on their buying power. Then there’s the odd irony that once you can afford those prized pieces you’re more likely in the office than on the line. There’s no shame in starting at your your comfort level in any price range as there’s so many terrific options out there. But as someone else above said, BUY MORE KNIVES. Perspective is the best way through the maze and eventually you settle on a vibe you like. Or 30.

But as someone else above said, BUY MORE KNIVES. Perspective is the best way through the maze and eventually you settle on a vibe you like. Or 30.

Only 30? :laughingchef:
This forum is a bunch of f***ing enabling m*****f****** just sayin... :facepalm::goodjob:

FYI, he passed away back in 2016
Whao. Sad to hear. He was an influence in my buying a Misono UX10 and Masamoto HC back around 2010/11—which got me started. Quite an infectiously enthusiastic poster on kitchen knives.

The only good kitchen knife:
FOSaussureAustralianTigerIron1.jpg

All the others are garbage. You're welcome.
Weird looking kitchen knife! Hey, I'd give it a go for prepping meals. I'd actually dig trying any knife TBH.

Back