what do you guys use for pocket knives?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Decided to upgrade my old, AUS-6 Spyderco. Picked this up last week. Crazy how much lighter it is than my old knife. Action is smooth, but not sure I like the thumb stud as much as the spidey hole. OOTB edge is DEFINITELY not kitchen-knife sharp. The disclaimer on the box made me chuckle. Moving this week, so it’s getting a ton of use on zip-ties, cardboard, and plastic.
D874ACE4-4D18-4A7E-98C8-D218EBBF57F5.jpeg
F1DB0D1B-BE48-4BA1-8163-DF6305E71A39.jpeg

Been using this for about a month now. Sharpened once, used enough finally to assess edge durability.

20191021_160542.jpg

Is indeed pretty darn hard, holds up to use well. Lighter, thinner and less "pocket presence" than the several other lower priced D2 blade & G10 scale EDC knives I've tried the last couple of years. The FRN handles helped keep bulk down, decent tactile & provide a firm grip for wet hand use. Came with the wrenches needed to disassemble it for cleaning, which was nice. Don't admire the horny bugger logos, but WTH.

20191023_195224.jpg

20191023_195254.jpg

20191023_195901.jpg

Have not XRF checked this one to verify the alloy yet.

Performance, fit & finish, think it's worth the $54 US price. But I won't cry too much if it disappears into a snow bank.

Last edited:
The best knife to use and abuse would be the Otter Mercator k55k.
Locking blade
Slim
Cheap
Solingen blade in stainless steel or carbon steel

And then buy another more expensive flipper

Some time ago I got a ACE Iona from GiantMouse - one of their entry models. I found the blade way too thick for my EDC purposes, so I did a quick & dirty regrind (I was not too concerned about plunge lines and such stuff - I did this kind of job for the first time, the goal was not to kill the blade). I love the knife now. It went from 3mm spine thickness to 1.6, from flat grind to gently convex grind. It slices now apples like there is no tomorrow :)

Here you can see a few before/after photos:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BzluH5Wnpo1/

B0D5C176-B72D-4A84-8597-F5D6CCB06157.jpeg
I use a variety but for everyday users I’m a huge fan of spyderco. The Manix XL with S90V is my favorite but..... that always changes. I have a sheath I bought of Etsy I use I like.

Decided to upgrade my old, AUS-6 Spyderco. Picked this up last week. Crazy how much lighter it is than my old knife. Action is smooth, but not sure I like the thumb stud as much as the spidey hole. OOTB edge is DEFINITELY not kitchen-knife sharp. The disclaimer on the box made me chuckle. Moving this week, so it’s getting a ton of use on zip-ties, cardboard, and plastic. View attachment 65074View attachment 65075
Great color. I’m using my original blue one for December. I have mine surgically sharp. I could dig out a bullet for sure.

it's been nearly a year since i got the gigantic spydy military and i am enjoying it just as much as the first day!! it's taken some serious abuse including using the spine to sharpen a slicing machine blade, haha.

I've only got about 30 folders but these two (both customs) are my recent favorites. Left is a Trouble Blades Debt Collector (D2), Right is a Brian Brown Yeager (CTS-XHP San Mai). The one on the right has been in my pocket for about a month (since it arrived).

C0EB0707-EE19-4D3E-8004-6E3D0B1CDA0A.jpg

I sweat so much on the line that the blue steel higo (who knows if it’s actually blue, but it’s sure carbon) I had been using rusts continuously in my pocket. So I switched to a Bear and Son balisong for the dbag/panache factor.

At the other end of the spectrum from some of the lovely niceties above, this little thing arrived in the mail today. Materials may leave something to ask, but I have to say the design is sweet.

735C6E4B-E4E6-4CD3-91CE-0078E037BE23.jpeg 195CF3AC-3258-4796-8B65-11A234906357.jpeg 3EBD86D8-37DA-4E91-AD98-6CB24DABD38E.jpeg

many moons a go i collected folding knives. Lots of custom and production folders.

Most have been sold now, kept a few and still use Spyderco Sage and Chris Reeeves as EDC knives.
IMG_2456.jpg

IMG_2455.jpg

Now the kitchen knife collecting is becoming equally over the top.:)

Last edited:
Carried a gerber for the longest time, then one day I opened it and it literally fell apart!!!!

Wife replaced it with an old timer (clip point, spear point and sheep foot blade). Have had it for a year and not lost it yet.

New old stock off of ebay. A Spyderco Stretch, the old original lightweight, not even a Stretch 2, let alone the newest straight back version of the Stretch 2.

Not a sprint run or any fancy alloy, just VG10. Also less than $90 delivered. Came nicely shaving sharp, I'm going to carry this for a while and see how it behaves.

20200130_182944.jpg
20200130_182846.jpg

20200130_182726.jpg

20200130_182547.jpg

It may not be this forum but does anyone remember someone posting up a picture of their vintage stirling silver pocket knife?

Back