What do you have on your wrist?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Claude Bernard not the most expensive watch you'll see here but i like it

1424503282919.jpg

I went and checked out a 46mm Khaki Pilot. I don't think it looks big. I also measured my wrist at 8.75 inches. I feel like I can pull it off. I'm probably going that way.

If it looks dumb, I'll get over it. If my knife habit is any indication, it'll be just one of many anyway.

I went and checked out a 46mm Khaki Pilot. I don't think it looks big. I also measured my wrist at 8.75 inches. I feel like I can pull it off. I'm probably going that way.

If it looks dumb, I'll get over it. If my knife habit is any indication, it'll be just one of many anyway.

On a nearly 9 inch wrist, that might actually work okay. Objection withdrawn.

This guy knows his watches. (Contains colourful language)

[video=youtube;kxlc8j5PUgc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxlc8j5PUgc[/video]

I wear a 1984 Seiko automatic diver (6309-7290).

I like Seiko Automatics a lot. They are always at the top of my list for watch recommendations at quasi-reasonable price ranges (I haven't owned or handled a Grand or King Seiko, but I'm sure they are excellent, and the taller end of the price range). I bought a Seiko Cocktail Time for my B-I-L's birthday, which is a little ways in the future (found a really good deal on it brand new, straight from Tokyo), and the few times I've taken it out of its package and looked at it, I've wanted to keep it.

I've got a more modern (2004) Kinetic, but I'm a big fan of the older divers, particularly the 6309-7040. I've been close to pulling the trigger many times, but deep down I know it's just a bit too big and proud on the wrist for my liking, and I'm not a small bloke.

I love a watch snob criticising "pretenders".

Online enthusiast communities are kinda sickening...heh.

This one is by far most worn and the most favorite of the few I have in my possession. I practically, don't take it off. 46mm.

breit-superocean-blue-3.JPG

For the last 8 years my EDC watch has been a Bathy's Hawaiian 100F crystal. I've been through 4 leather straps and 3 batteries. Just replaced the leather with a stainless steel strap. It is a medium price range watch assembled in Hawaii with a Swiss movement. Recommend it highly.

I wore my Hamilton Jazzmaster Chronograph for a full day for the first time since I had it partially serviced (it keeps time, but the case had some wounds. You can also see the corrosion on one of the dials that suggests that the watch was wet, at some point: I elected not to have that addressed, as it would require either removing material from the dial or replacing the dial) and had a nice Italian made vulcanized rubber strap put on it. I got it for cheap, and originally thought about selling it to fund something else, but it's grown on me. Even when on snug, as it is in the photo, it's very comfortable, as the vulcanized rubber has a bit of give. Maybe I'll wear this for a while before I decide to replace it. Right now, it balances out my Fortis Cosmonaut on a clockwise rotor in my watch-winder.

Y6YxOHGl.jpg

I wore my Hamilton Jazzmaster Chronograph for a full day for the first time since I had it partially serviced (it keeps time, but the case had some wounds. You can also see the corrosion on one of the dials that suggests that the watch was wet, at some point: I elected not to have that addressed, as it would require either removing material from the dial or replacing the dial) and had a nice Italian made vulcanized rubber strap put on it. I got it for cheap, and originally thought about selling it to fund something else, but it's grown on me. Even when on snug, as it is in the photo, it's very comfortable, as the vulcanized rubber has a bit of give. Maybe I'll wear this for a while before I decide to replace it. Right now, it balances out my Fortis Cosmonaut on a clockwise rotor in my watch-winder.

Y6YxOHGl.jpg

Not sure how I feel about the strap, but that's a pretty handsome watch in most other respects Jacob.

Not sure how I feel about the strap, but that's a pretty handsome watch in most other respects Jacob.

The bracelet that came with it, which had a deployment strap, didn't have a fine enough adjustment to fit me, and I can't wear leather bands due to allergies, so I had minimal choices. It's not a watch I will wear a lot (the three Rolexes, the Fortis, and the Pre-Moon Omega take most of my wrist time), but I like this one.

The bracelet that came with it, which had a deployment strap, didn't have a fine enough adjustment to fit me, and I can't wear leather bands due to allergies, so I had minimal choices. It's not a watch I will wear a lot (the three Rolexes, the Fortis, and the Pre-Moon Omega take most of my wrist time), but I like this one.

Off topic- but are you left handed? Or do you adhere to the non dominant hand wear? On the same topic, how many of you guys wear your gear face down? A buddy of mine years ago insisted it was the 'gentlemanly' manner of wearing a wrist based timepiece. I tried that style for awhile, and really didn't care for it. Just felt weird having the extra mass on the inside of my wrist. Tried the non- dominant hand wear as well, and my natural inclinations wouldn't allow it.

No, I'm super right handed. I wear a watch on my non-dominant hand. I only wear watches face up. I have some watch acquaintances who are older, mid 60s to mid 80s, and almost to a man, they wear watches face down. I find it weird, and I almost never find a picture of a watch worn earlier than 1935 or later than 1955 that shows a face being worn on the inside of the wrist. For whatever reason, I think it's a generation thing. Most of the watches I own have screw down crowns, so wearing on either wrist isn't a big deal, as you have to take the watch off to set the time, regardless. This Hamilton is an exception, as it's not screw down, but I still prefer to take the watch off to set the time.

Y6YxOHGl.jpg

That's a classy watch. Been looking for a nice watch, so I may have to look that one up. Thanks for posting.

The face down thing was something I'd entirely forgotten, until I watched an episode of the excellent Aussie tv series 'Rake'. There's a scene where the camera zooms in on him checking his watch, and it's worn face down. Which I hadn't noticed till then. But I couldn't stop noticing it after...

Off topic- but are you left handed? Or do you adhere to the non dominant hand wear? On the same topic, how many of you guys wear your gear face down? A buddy of mine years ago insisted it was the 'gentlemanly' manner of wearing a wrist based timepiece. I tried that style for awhile, and really didn't care for it. Just felt weird having the extra mass on the inside of my wrist. Tried the non- dominant hand wear as well, and my natural inclinations wouldn't allow it.

Non-dominant, face-down. I got the face-down thing from my father. He may have gotten it from his father.

I've tried switching to face up multiple times but it feels wrong. Sort of like brushing teeth with the other hand: it can be made to work but why bother?

Too, think about this: you're holding a beer in your watch hand and someone asks the time. If you wear face-up, you need to pronate your forearm to read the time and might spill beer on yourself. If you wear face-down, then you supinate to read time so any spillage hits the person next to you. :D

Forgive me if this topic has been discussed before but I'm curious what other pro cooks wear for a watch in the kitchen. Mostly I'm curious why you wear it, beyond just aesthetics what makes it particularly suited to the harsh conditions and demands of a working kitchen.
Currently I'm wearing an Aristo automatic pilot watch on a "shark" metal bracelet. It's easy to read easy to clean and pretty durable. I also like that it has the minutes around the dial which helps me when expediting. Also date display is a must when writing labels all day.

Forgive me if this topic has been discussed before but I'm curious what other pro cooks wear for a watch in the kitchen. Mostly I'm curious why you wear it, beyond just aesthetics what makes it particularly suited to the harsh conditions and demands of a working kitchen.
Currently I'm wearing an Aristo automatic pilot watch on a "shark" metal bracelet. It's easy to read easy to clean and pretty durable. I also like that it has the minutes around the dial which helps me when expediting. Also date display is a must when writing labels all day.

I always wore my Rolex 16600 in the kitchen. It can take any beating I can give it, and more. I love the aesthetics of it and it will last for my lifetime plus some. I got some other stuff that I can wear for formal occasions, but by far the watch I wear the most is my trusty 16600.

637f43e9a0b9429942a9.png

It had been years since I wore a watch, not because I didn't miss doing so, but because I had trouble finding something that I liked, that I could afford, and that would hold up.
I just recently found a good deal on a Lum Tec Super Combat B2, and it's been well worth the wait. Very legible and simple dial, perfect size for my wrist, but lightweight thanks to Ti, simple hand-wind ETA movement (I actually enjoy winding it every day), fantastic build quality, and as the name company suggests: amazing lume.
It's also been my first introduction into Nato style straps and I'm hooked: most comfortable style of strap I've ever worn. It came with some really well made ballistic nylon ones that I use if it's going to get really wet and dirty, but I also just picked up a dressier shell cordovan nato by DaLuca and it feels sooo good.

IMG_2856.jpg

IMG_2861.jpg

Justin0505 I have a similar model, the B3 with carbon face, Lumtec's are such an underrated watch. This and my Bathy's are my go to daily beaters. Love your strap, where did you pick it up?

image.jpgimage.jpg

Had this watch for a while and never wore it Just started wearing it I dont like wearing it everday cause im worried about messing it up but i said screw it

my new daily wearer. Still not sure on the bracelet for everyday, I'm looking for a good deployment rubber strap at the moment.

6952e3426239196.jpg

oooo la la a watch thread on here and i never knew... here are mine...

starting with the vintages...

This one every now and then... Tudor 76100 - Lollipop
vintage warmth for the first snow of the year! #76100 by Ricky Cheong Photography, on Flickr

Been wearing this one these past 2 weeks... Rollie 16018
IMG_20170205_231834_267 by Ricky Cheong Photography, on Flickr

This I love the most! under the radar yet finished exquisitely... Grand Seiko SBGJ005
#sbgj005 on the wrist for saturday. by Ricky Cheong Photography, on Flickr

The beater that can take anything... Rollie 16600
#16600 home time soon! by Ricky Cheong Photography, on Flickr

For those days gloomy days... Rollie 116613LN w/ Serti Dial
long day. home time #116613ln by Ricky Cheong Photography, on Flickr

Back