What do you have on your wrist?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Either an early Panerai Luminor, non-date, white dial manual. Or a Blue Rolex submariner, new shape and bracelet. This is actually a new one as I have never been a Rolex man before but I must say I love it.

I use to drool over a day night reveso, but never could pull the trigger....that was my dream watch when I care about fashion.

That IWC is amazing - which model it is? I presume it is manual model since it has 7 days reserve.

EDIT - just found it on IWC webpage - really amazing.

I feel for Von Blewitt. Brings back memories. Knyfeknerd nailed it. Constant supply of rubber bands. My kids are always telling me to take them off before my hand turns blue. My watches are drawer queens. At least they hold their value.

I've gone through many watches, had my grail watch at one point, a Sinn 656, but needed funds so I sold that off, loved that watch.

The nearest that I have come to the look is this Invicta 16330 diver watch, it keeps excellent time, has incredible lumen and is really inexpensive. I had replaced the metal band with a nice padded leather one from DeBeers and also added a deployant clasp as well, so total $ of band and clasp about doubled the price I paid for the watch, but it's worth it for me.

Invicta_16330.jpg~original

The lumen, if I hit it with a flashlight before bed, will last all night, it won't be as bright as this, but it will be readable hours later.

invicta_lumen.jpg~original

G2

Right now my best is a Seiko kinetic. Been thinking of upgrading, so as to blow my money on something other than knives and stones.

Any opinions on Hamilton Khaki 46mm Pilot auto?

Right now my best is a Seiko kinetic. Been thinking of upgrading, so as to blow my money on something other than knives and stones.

Any opinions on Hamilton Khaki 46mm Pilot auto?

If you have a reasonable watch now, I'd save for something in the heavy hitter range. You aren't too far from potentially finding a nice second hand pilot's watch from a company that hasn't destructed what made it what it once was.

Anything you have in mind in particular that I'm not that far from? I don't even know if a pilot design is necessary, I just find that particular one striking.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anything you have in mind in particular that I'm not that far from? I don't even know if a pilot design is necessary, I just find that particular one striking.

there are a lot of cool older Logines.

I mean I think if you can scratch together 2500 you should just go ahead and get a speedmaster. I was lent one and loved it, though I ultimately went higher up.

I should be receiving a 1969 Pre-Moon Speedmaster, tomorrow, fresh from a conservative rennovation. I'll post a pic.

Sometime after Chinese anew Year I'll be getting my first watch in thirteen years.

And it'll be a cheap boring quartz thing compared to what the aristocrats here are sporting.

Classic look. BTW agree with you on watch sizes, the trend towards bigger I don't understand. Do you get the buttons moved on your watch wearing wrist to accommodate the beast?

Is 46mm really that big? Seems like 42 is pretty normal to most. Do those 4mm really make the switch from perfectly good to gaudy ridiculousness?

I'm a pretty big fella with a big wrist, my 42mm Seiko doesn't feel big at all.

I agree that some have gotten a bit nuts, but those seem to be like 55mm fashion watches (Nixon).

Love the speedmaster by the way. Just considerably more than I can spend.

Is 46mm really that big? Seems like 42 is pretty normal to most. Do those 4mm really make the switch from perfectly good to gaudy ridiculousness?

I'm a pretty big fella with a big wrist, my 42mm Seiko doesn't feel big at all.

I agree that some have gotten a bit nuts, but those seem to be like 55mm fashion watches (Nixon).

I'm a big guy and I have ~8 inch wrists (varies a little with temperature). That Speedy is 42mm, and is a nice size. Assuming that we're talking about round watches, a 42mm watch has about 83% of the square area of a 46mm watch. That's not including lugs, crown, etc. To put it into perspective, a person who is five feet 8 inches tall is 83% as tall as somebody who is seven feet tall. A 46mm watch is a lot bigger than a 42mm watch.

I might just be weird. Lots of people seem fine with watches that large. I have been wearing a 40mm Rolex since I was 25 years old (through no effort of mine: it was my patrimony after my father offed himself), and before that I was wearing a 38mm Seiko Kinetic. The 38mm-42mm range seems about right to me, because of it. My Datejust, at 36mm, seemed a little small at first, but then I saw how well it slipped under a shirt cuff. My 42mm Hamilton Jazzmaster seems a bit large, but it's also a thick watch due to the Valjoux 7750 movement (which is the same reason why my Fortis Cosmonaut, while only 38mm, is a chunky watch, as it has the same movement). Anyway, I would try before buying, with regards to big watches.

I really do think you should look at the Pilot Khaki Day Date that I linked to. If I had an open spot in a watch winder (and if my wife wouldn't kill me if I bought another watch), I'd pick one up, myself. Maybe in a couple months. ;)

I had a 45.5 planet ocean and it just wasn't me. It was a fine price and I felt compelled to get something before heading home for the holidays. Ok I do have a 6" wrist but even if I was a LOT bigger the thing was simply out of line IMO. I thought it couldnt be that much bigger than 42mm, too, you know. I was wrong.

I too do the 40mm thing now and think it's perfect for just about everyone. A little bigger, sure. Smaller? sure. But 45mm just doesnt look right unless youre Shaq IMO.

Fair enough. Thanks for your input folks. I will have to try on a few and see what I think.

When in comes to size of a watch it often comes to me that the big ones just use the size to allow the designer more play and make the watch to stand out more so you can make 'a message'. Sure - there are people with large wrists who may enjoy waring large watches, but most of us look strange with 45mm+ on our wrist. For me (arguably a guy with girly hands) the size was (OK, after price) the main limiting factor when choosing the watch.

An obvious exception are watches for divers.

My trusty and faithful circa 1991 quartz Tag Heuer finally gave up the ghost a few years ago:
Tag-1138.jpg

I happened to be somewhat flush at the time so I replaced it with a similar but very brightly polished Breitling Chrono Cockpit:
CC-1538.jpg

and, still feeling flush (cuz I stopped buying knives and stones), a Navitimer followed soon thereafter:
Navi-1574.jpg

I think the Tag was spec'ed at 32mm, the Cockpit 38mm and the Navi 43mm. People talk about how a watch can 'wear' larger or smaller than its nominal face diameter would indicate and these two B'lings illustrate why: the face of the Cockpit is 38mm but the outer bezel puts the overall diameter of the watch very close to the Navi's.

The B'lings are considerably heavier than the Tag which took longer to get used to than the increase in size.

Another size factor to consider: my eyes are so bad now that I can't read anything on the damn B'ling dial faces without reading glasses. The Navi's circular slide rule doesn't get much use anymore but I can make out the hands and hour markers so it's at least still functional as time-telling device. :wink:

Last edited:
Back