What do you have on your wrist?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JLC is the watchmaker’s watchmaker - all in-house movements, make movements for other producers, and even their perpetual calendars are priced within range. I love JLC and almost got the reverse duo large, but got this instead

View attachment 91898
The historical significance of these watches and why they were developed is interesting. I believe the VC has that offset design for automobile racing going back 60+ years ago so the time could be easily read with hands on the steering wheel. Similarly the Dead Beat or jumping second hand of the True Second was to assist medical personnel achieve accurate timing of the heart rate. Fascinating stuff

The JLC reverso was developed for the polo teams playing in India where the watches would get smashed during a polo match - so he designed it specifically for them, where they would turn the metal face while playing polo, and then the watch- face while sipping gin and tonic apres match - in the early 1900’s. Real history, and that’s why we love watched😊

The JLC reverso was developed for the polo teams playing in India in the early 1900’s.
True except that the Reverso was introduced in 1931...very Art Deco.

I like steel Omegas.
Unfortunately both of mine stopped running during lock down and I haven't figured out the best way to get them tuned up:
The Constellation is from the 1960s and was my fathers. I bought the Seamaster in 1994, for my 30th birthday present to myself. One year before James Bond wore one...
IMG_6274.jpeg

Now I'm stuck wearing a quartz TAG that I bought in Hong Kong in 1982 after graduating high school. Not bad for 38 years old watch...
IMG_6272.jpeg

Last edited:
True except that the Reverso was introduced in 1931...

I like steel Omegas.
Unfortunately both of mine stopped running during lock down and I haven't figured out the best way to get them tuned up:
The Constellation is from the 1960s and was my fathers. I bought the Seamaster in 1994, for my 30th birthday present to myself. One year before James Bond wore one...
View attachment 91914

Now I'm stuck wearing a quartz TAG that I bought in Hong Kong in 1982 after graduating high school. Not bad for 38 years old watch...
View attachment 91913

You are correct about JLC and 1930 model introduced. The inspiration was from the polo matches, but model introduced later for sure

No love for Omega Aqua-Terra here? IMO, perhaps the best value in high-end Swiss watches. One of the best modern movements, 150M water resistance, all steel, dressy enough for a suit, and all under $5K from an AD?
omega-seamaster-aqua-terra-150m-22010382003001-l.png

Casio in the kitchen, Breitling everywhere else. Never used to wear watches in the kitchen either, but I think it’s more professional than constantly pulling out the phone 🤷‍♂️
AABFBECA-B7E0-4992-A9FE-BAA86D541932.jpeg

No love for Omega Aqua-Terra here? IMO, perhaps the best value in high-end Swiss watches. One of the best modern movements, 150M water resistance, all steel, dressy enough for a suit, and all under $5K from an AD?
Nope. I only wear suits to funerals. Mainly Speedmasters and Seamasters.

I just spent $70 fixing my Casio Pathfinder watchband.
I asked for new pins and everything. I was super skeptical that parts were even available. But yes! She just called and told me they had one of everything left! So lucky.

it’s my beater watch. Fishing, hunting, kayaking, construction working....its my undisputed champion watch for international travel. My wife bought it for me maybe 22 years ago when we were still dating. I hope it simply keeps on going. No battery no time setting.

I love my Tudor and my Rolex watches, but third world country. Hello Casio!

This is my wrist, but unfortunately not my watch (one day). My father's 'McQueen' or 'Freccione' Explorer 2, the original orange hand version, rather than the later red.

A few years ago he decided to trade it in and put the money towards 'upgrading' to a Panerai, thinking he might get a couple of grand for it. And was very pleasantly surprised to be told that they're now worth something silly like £25,000. Especially as he's the only owner since buying it in the 70s, still has the original box and papers and has had it regularly serviced by Rolex. Thankfully he decided to keep it.

That's the kind of thing happens to him, jammy git.

IMG_3930.jpeg

How are you finding that strap after a few months @panda? I've been looking for a canvas strap for a while, still haven't found a good one though (some were just bad quality, others started fraying at the holes after a while)

maratac straps

I've daily'd mine for 4 years, still going strong.

Just picked up a two tone GMT, luckily at a decent price (the whole Rolex line has gone through the roof the last couple of months.

Dealers pic of the watch I purchased....... much better than my I-phone.

I

View attachment 97363

nteresting how knives and watches prices have gone through the roof. I understand the knife thing - people are not going out, cooking at home, have an extra 300 they can use for knives. But watch demand rising? That’s hard to understand

This is my wrist, but unfortunately not my watch (one day). My father's 'McQueen' or 'Freccione' Explorer 2, the original orange hand version, rather than the later red.

A few years ago he decided to trade it in and put the money towards 'upgrading' to a Panerai, thinking he might get a couple of grand for it. And was very pleasantly surprised to be told that they're now worth something silly like £25,000. Especially as he's the only owner since buying it in the 70s, still has the original box and papers and has had it regularly serviced by Rolex. Thankfully he decided to keep it.

That's the kind of thing happens to him, jammy git.

View attachment 97367

that’s a sweet watch. The explorer 2 has not been among the popular Rolex models for a long time, I don’t even know why. Even the newer ones are nice... maybe BECAUSE they don’t look like most other Rolexes haha

nteresting how knives and watches prices have gone through the roof. I understand the knife thing - people are not going out, cooking at home, have an extra 300 they can use for knives. But watch demand rising? That’s hard to understand

i think People think it’s a good investment (which it almost always isn’t, very few watches are a good investment). Lots of money flowing into tangible assets.

also: the ones who don’t suffer economically, who have a job and a steady income tend to save a lot more these days (no going out, travel etc), so there surplus cash available to spend on other stuff.

just my two ignorant cents 🤷🏼‍♂️

that’s a sweet watch. The explorer 2 has not been among the popular Rolex models for a long time, I don’t even know why. Even the newer ones are nice... maybe BECAUSE they don’t look like most other Rolexes haha

Yeah I quite like the newer ones too. I think this original one was very much considered an ugly duckling back in the day, until someone had the genius idea to start calling it the McQueen Explorer. (I don't think he actually ever had one.)

Any Panerai fans around? Some of them can be a bit much but this Panerai Luminor Marina (PAM1523) works well in business casual settings. 42mm case doesn't stand out too much and the white face is a bit less common. Leather strap wouldn't work in a pro environment but I like how this one matches this blonde horn ferrule.

PAM1523.jpg

Last edited:
Back