What is your favorite knife?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
attachment.php

This is a hard question to answer. I am still on a journey to figure that out. I would say that currently the gyuto that my hand gravitates toward is the Masamoto KS but there are times I think I want something more sporty. Thing is, I have not figured out what that is yet. One of the other knives I reach for often is my Fujiwara FKH 180mm gyuto. I guess I like pedestrian knives. At the same time I like my Tanaka B#2 Damascus too. :p I just like knives.

This is a hard question to answer. I am still on a journey to figure that out. I would say that currently the gyuto that my hand gravitates toward is the Masamoto KS but there are times I think I want something more sporty. Thing is, I have not figured out what that is yet. One of the other knives I reach for often is my Fujiwara FKH 180mm gyuto. I guess I like pedestrian knives. At the same time I like my Tanaka B#2 Damascus too. :p I just like knives.

What length Tanaka and which handle?
Thanks

210 TF Denka Gyuto forged and sharpened by TF. Nothing else I've tried comes close in terms of performance. F&F is an acquired taste but to me gives it uniqueness and soul.

Thanks, how would you describe the balance?

Fairly blade heavy. I use an exaggerated pinch and the balance is in front of that. I am not good with judging measurements so lets call it three fingers in front of the ferrule. But it is a lightweight ho handle.

Can't answer just one. Would have to be a three way tie between my 215mm Kato workhorse gyuto, my Catcheside extra thick 185mm gyuto, and my Toyama 300mm suji.

My favourite knife? Seems to be a moving feast... Most prudent answer might be: My next one! :D

+1

I’d like to give an original answer but I like Marek’s answer better. So, I’ll opt to quote him. 😀

Well played, gentlemen.

What is your next knife, then?

What is your favorite among the ones you own?

210 TF Denka Gyuto forged and sharpened by TF. Nothing else I've tried comes close in terms of performance. F&F is an acquired taste but to me gives it uniqueness and soul.

Hello Shiggy :)

Actually, that is my favourite ;)

Can't answer just one. Would have to be a three way tie between my 215mm Kato workhorse gyuto, my Catcheside extra thick 185mm gyuto, and my Toyama 300mm suji.

Thank you for your straight answers, gentlemen.

I'm surprised at my own answer but the one I reach for 90% of the time these last couple months is a tanaka 150mm petty in vg10. The one with the western red handle. It's not a fancy knife but my God is it convenient.

One of many I've sold...probably my Tilman gyuto in 1.2442...hoping my next one will work just as well and I can get used to it being stainless.

Been reaching for the kono b2 honyaki lately but used a kato kikuryu today and forgot how sick that knife is

So many knives, so little time...

Gengetsu "old style" in 240. Or 270. Or DT 240. Or Wat Nakiri. Or.....

240 TF Denka gyuto - perfect profile, sublime thin edge but thickish spine, super stiff and remarkable edge retention - all of this with stainless clad with western handle for easy maintenance.

240 TF Denka gyuto - perfect profile, sublime thin edge but thickish spine, super stiff and remarkable edge retention - all of this with stainless clad with western handle for easy maintenance.

And this from someone with a western handle Shig Kitaeji. Praise indeed.:doublethumbsup:

Post some profile shots. Think I've only seen the choil. TF TF

Well played, gentlemen.

What is your next knife, then?

What is your favorite among the ones you own?
If I'm to play with a straight bat (cricketing metaphor), my next knife are actually knives and are currently en route so unknown at this stage. As for current favourite, I'll follow @Khorax's and @bahamaroot's approaches and just list the knife that has been pulled out most often of late. That would be my TF 165mm nashiji nakiri. Been enjoying its remarkable sharpness and nimbleness for a couple of weeks now. Not the prettiest knife and certainly not the best F&F but its price/performance ratio is unbelievable.

Back