What kind of deal should I expect for Black Friday?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's what I was gonna say, ivang. That looks a lot heftier than some choil shots I've seen

also see my poorly taken choil shot and other pics below
Perfect, thanks, exactly what I wanted to see. The one that I got from Bernal is quite a bit thinner, the edge on mine is crazy thin. The profile on this one from EE appears to have a pretty good sized flat spot, mine from Bernal has no flat spot but a gentle curve throughout. Not that one is better than the other, just different.

I tried my best...

Attachments

• F274E834-193F-420D-910B-54989E8EB8AD.jpeg
    F274E834-193F-420D-910B-54989E8EB8AD.jpeg
    11.7 KB · Views: 76
Perfect, thanks, exactly what I wanted to see. The one that I got from Bernal is quite a bit thinner, the edge on mine is crazy thin. The profile on this one from EE appears to have a pretty good sized flat spot, mine from Bernal has no flat spot but a gentle curve throughout. Not that one is better than the other, just different.
I put what “ashy2classy” posted (left) and mine together in one pic and I think they look similar. Considering you received a similar one as well, the EE migaki line appears being consistently ground in this way.

Attachments

• E37493E5-2CEB-43E8-84B2-0F822D905B31.jpeg
    E37493E5-2CEB-43E8-84B2-0F822D905B31.jpeg
    14.6 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
Rosewood "d", black pakka wood ferule.
View attachment 62345
Really nice. I don’t think it is available anywhere though. The KnS one is hammered and the cleancut one is Kurouchi-like.

I like darker handle in general and this wakui is actually my only knife that has a light color handle. I have an anryu that has a similar oval dark handle and I really like it. Maybe I need to replace the handle.

Attachments

• 3FCDDECA-0160-44DD-9CE1-EB4BBC8EB33B.jpeg
    3FCDDECA-0160-44DD-9CE1-EB4BBC8EB33B.jpeg
    117.1 KB · Views: 57
All the wakuis I've handled were really thin behind the edge (five of them), the nakiri i used to have is the thinnest knife behind the edge ive ever had, it was impossibly thin for about a cm, and really thin for the most part.

It also had one of the best distal tapers ive seen, up there with the best of the sanjo exponents.

All the wakuis I've handled were really thin behind the edge (five of them), the nakiri i used to have is the thinnest knife behind the edge ive ever had, it was impossibly thin for about a cm, and really thin for the most part.

It also had one of the best distal tapers ive seen, up there with the best of the sanjo exponents.
Do you have experience with the Nashiji line from Aframe if I might ask?
https://www.aframestokyo.com/tesshu-wa-gyuto-240mm-white-ii-steel--forged-by-mr-wa240.html

My Wakui is a hammered KnS one. Not that thin behind the edge but it has excellent food release. Pretty good fit and finish too.

Wondering if we should dig up the Wakui thread, move this discussion over there, and leave this thread for historical Black Friday deals

My Wakui is a hammered KnS one. Not that thin behind the edge but it has excellent food release. Pretty good fit and finish too.

Yeah, good fit and finish are a constant amongst all the wakuis ive seen, especially choil and spine very nicely rounded.

Only Black Friday I’ll care about is James and whatever unicorns he brings out to play.

Let's keep Cider Bear happy, back to Black Friday deals...
I'm planning on getting a Suisin Inox Honyaki from Korin.

Which one? I'm liking the Ktip 270 a lot. Always liked the gyuto and 180mm petty. And I know where you can get a 270 suji (with the pin!) at 100 off retail!

I have a 180 petty and a 210 gyuto, planning on adding a 240 gyuto.
What do you use the 270 k tip for? What does it excel at?
(Poor grammar : ))
I've been tempted by the 270 suji, but not yet...

The ktip is used for all manner of prep. I like 270 lasers cause they've got a little extra heft and are long enough for anything on the table. Like traditional Ktips it's a got a low profile but is tall enough for my xxl mitts.

The ktip is used for all manner of prep. I like 270 lasers cause they've got a little extra heft and are long enough for anything on the table. Like traditional Ktips it's a got a low profile but is tall enough for my xxl mitts.
Great, thanks.
I also have a 240 yanagiba, but I'm not sure if I'm going to keep it.

Back