What to expect after grapping a hot pan?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lars

Founding Member
Reaction score
Just grapped a pan shortly after taking it out of the oven.
This is the first time I have been burned this way, but thought all you seasoned pro's might have done this before and know what to expect.
Have had my hand in icewater for an hour and can see blisters where I grapped the pan.
It still hurst, so I guess the burns are still forming.

Any adwise on what to expect would be great, thanks!

Lars

See a doctor. If you have something containing panthenol, than use it. Sour milk or yogurt can help too.

Thanks Matus.

Google tells me to keep cooling and if the burns are small no problem otherwise have a doctor look at it.

Am re-reading Kitchen Confidential at the moment so feeling brave(and maybe stupid)..

Lars

Have had my hand in icewater

Lars

Horrible idea. You're f*****g up the cells in your hand. Room temperature water is your friend. Ice water is your enemy. Now go get some silvadene sulfate.

Thanks theory - I knew i could count on you guys for some proper adwise.

Have removed the ice from the water..

Lars

That sucks Lars. I’ve dealt with a couple of small 2nd and Third degree burns. Aloe Vera helped me immensely. Burns can be painful for a long time. I used aloe Vera juice straight from the plant and kept it applied to the burn area until it completely healed. If your just dealing with blisters you can probably deal with on your own. If your burned bad enough that it may scare in a way that could affect hand mobility in the future you might want to get advise from a Doc.

...Now go get some silvadene sulfate.
Yup.
Had to use this stuff a few years ago. Your doc should be able to call it in. Maybe you can just buy it at the pharmacy in Denmark?

Getting some good advice Lars. Hope the pain is easing up.

Thanks all.

After cooling in a waterbath I am left with some soarness and a few blisters.

Lars

Aloe Vera we had plants at the Hotel. I keep a couple in my yard too. Juice from the plant works wonders on burns.

A blister on my thumb started leaking, so went to the pharmacy this morning. They said it was normal to just cover it with a bandaid and let it heal.

Lars

What to expect after grapping a hot pan?

Profanity. Lots of profanity.
+1

According to this study, silvadene may not be the best treatment for (minor) burns. Perhaps you could opt for the sweeter treatment of honey? Hope you heal quickly!

Horrible idea. You're f*****g up the cells in your hand. Room temperature water is your friend. Ice water is your enemy. Now go get some silvadene sulfate.
This.

Flowing cold water. No Ice.

Serves two purposes:

1) takes the residual heat out of your skin, which reduces the severity and/or size of the burn.
2) has an analgesic (pain relief) effect for burns.

Ice does risk causing a cold thermal injury, which you may not recognise occurring because of the anaesthetic effect of the ice.

This.

Flowing cold water. No Ice.

Serves two purposes:

1) takes the residual heat out of your skin, which reduces the severity and/or size of the burn.
2) has an analgesic (pain relief) effect for burns.

Ice does risk causing a cold thermal injury, which you may not recognise occurring because of the anaesthetic effect of the ice.

Ice directly on the skin for a minute or two immediately after the burn will do a better job of taking heat away from the tissue. Then cold water for five to ten minutes. Then liberal application of aloe vera with or without lidocaine (sunburn gel works well). and put a nitrile or latex glove on the hand for protection and to keep the gel in contact with the skin.

First of all Lars, I hope jour hand is healing well and everything is alright.

I want to shortly revive the thread to add a point to this, that I'm not sure absolutely everybody is aware of:

Perhaps you could opt for the sweeter treatment of honey?

When you use honey to treat wounds, which is a good idea, you should always use medical honey. In normal honey there is a chance that it contains spores of the bacteria C. Botulinum, which might cause severe wound infections.

Ok, that's it, everybody have a nice weekend.

So the idea of warm water came from The Journal of Plastic, Reconstructive, and Aesthetic Surgery; however, I think it is being misunderstood. Yes, a long time in an ice water bath will result in more damage than warm water; however, for this to be true things have to be too cold for too long ("cold" in the study was 67F). This is not because the cold water is damaging your cells, but because the warm water aids in perfusion. Ideally, you would get it under the cold water initially (it doesn't need to be ice cold, and since getting ice ads time, and speed is way more important than water temp, just open the tap and put your hand under it), and then after 30 seconds to a minute (i.e. once you've brought your skin temperature down) switch to warm water. "Warm" in the study meant body temp, so luke warm. At the outset, speed is more important than temperature, so just open the tap BUT be sure the tap wasn't just running full hot, otherwise you'll be hitting your burn with an initial blast of 130F water.

I wonder how many people here making suggestions have suffered through serious burns.

I wonder how many people here making suggestions have suffered through serious burns.
I’ve had two small third degrees burns. The scars last a lifetime. I’ve also had some serious injuries and the thing remember the most about burns was the pain and the time it takes to heal.

My suggestion was based on actual experience. I have grabbed the hot handle of an All-Clad skillet just out of the oven twice (seems I am am a slow learner), and my recommendation was based on what I actually did the second time. Thankfully, my reaction time was fast enough to limit my burns to first and second degree. I also have a nice burn scar on my wrist from an oven rack, but that's another story.

Last edited:

First, second, and third degrees, though third degree was not in the kitchen. At any rate, you don't have to have been burned to know how to best treat a burn. We have science now.

Back