What's in your bag?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I actually like the black pakka, I thought about doing a rehandle but couldn't bring myself to be away from my knife for that long. The Paola wood is a little more attractive than the pics indicate but not as attractive as his red pakkawood handles in my opinion. That being said I don't think anyone buys a takamura uchigumo for the handles. It's all about that beautiful damascus, sexy sexy mirror polish underneath and beautiful cutting performance. I only have to touch her up on rare occasions 2k/5k sometimes 8k and a strop if I really wanna tune her up. I'll be adding some HHH Damascus this summer and comparing. That being said if anyone sees a 300 floating around you let me know. I'd love to get a 300 suji, but have never seen a retailer carry them, heck I don't even think they exist, he just used Photoshop to make it look slightly bigger. There also exists takamura single bevels that I read the owner of noma owns one. I've never seen a takamura yanagi even in pics though :( maybe mtc kitchen lied lol. :knife:

Glad to have on lon this two knives!!
Dalman 240 mm gyuto
Dp 240 mm gyuto

1463603737646.jpg

I actually like the black pakka, I thought about doing a rehandle but couldn't bring myself to be away from my knife for that long. The Paola wood is a little more attractive than the pics indicate but not as attractive as his red pakkawood handles in my opinion. That being said I don't think anyone buys a takamura uchigumo for the handles. It's all about that beautiful damascus, sexy sexy mirror polish underneath and beautiful cutting performance. I only have to touch her up on rare occasions 2k/5k sometimes 8k and a strop if I really wanna tune her up. I'll be adding some HHH Damascus this summer and comparing. That being said if anyone sees a 300 floating around you let me know. I'd love to get a 300 suji, but have never seen a retailer carry them, heck I don't even think they exist, he just used Photoshop to make it look slightly bigger. There also exists takamura single bevels that I read the owner of noma owns one. I've never seen a takamura yanagi even in pics though :( maybe mtc kitchen lied lol. :knife:

Black pakkawood is okay, but the liners are starting to flake out on my Pro/Blazen gyuto, also the rivets are a little sharp on a couple but not all, definitely not a deal breaker though. I sent my Uchigumos directly to Dave, I know the wait will be worth it and fortunately I have a similar set to use in the interim. I think they only make sujis in 240/270, they don't list 300 on the website (they list the 300 gyuto but I've never seen one). I did read about the custom yanagi, also a custom cleaver:
[video=youtube;2ZQSz6Ehi2U]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZQSz6Ehi2U[/video]

I'd love a custom uchigumo yanagi or cleaver(I'd want their r2 style grind) I've read about the yanagi, apparently they close the shop for a day and go hardcore focusing on them. Unfortunatly I don't understand moon speak. But I'd pay a k for that yanagi no issues. It would probably be the coolest stainless yanagi out of Japan.

Mostly doing expo and plate finishing these days in small space, working on specials, light prep. Been working with a small bag/rotation that I change around every couple of days. Smaller knives, 210/180 line knives, short sujis, 210 Gyuto

Todays set

- 240 Wakui Kasumi Sujihiki
- 210 Nenox Brown Bone
- 165 Yoshikane Shirogami 2 Bunka (Never really got into Bunkas but loving this one)
- 180 Tesshu Petty

*Knife bag doesn't fit anything but 4 blades and Mac Black, picked up this bag on sale to carry the rest - spoons, pads, offsets, thermapen.... Comes in real useful - https://www.hideanddrink.com/collections/home/products/waterproof-waxed-canvas-utility-bag?variant=20825194375

Mostly doing expo and plate finishing these days in small space, working on specials, light prep. Been working with a small bag/rotation that I change around every couple of days. Smaller knives, 210/180 line knives, short sujis, 210 Gyuto

Todays set

- 240 Wakui Kasumi Sujihiki
- 210 Nenox Brown Bone
- 165 Yoshikane Shirogami 2 Bunka (Never really got into Bunkas but loving this one)
- 180 Tesshu Petty

*Knife bag doesn't fit anything but 4 blades and Mac Black, picked up this bag on sale to carry the rest - spoons, pads, offsets, thermapen.... Comes in real useful - https://www.hideanddrink.com/collections/home/products/waterproof-waxed-canvas-utility-bag?variant=20825194375

What's the wooden thing sticking out of the tool bag?

Looks like the leather sheath for a Rapala Fillet knife.

Yeah, it's a Rapala, use it to trim chickens, and some other tasks, fits it pocket and don't mind if it goes missing

I've spent WAAAAAAYY to much time at work today ogling this thread...:newhere:

Edited to add: I love everything about this!

2cifbep.jpg

Tojiro-DP western deba 240mm
Syousin chiku migaki 210mm
Itinomonn semi-stainless petty 150mm
You can get almost anything done with these three.
+Lots of little things in a box.

Favorite gyuto of this bunch?

Favorite is probably the heiji, it's just a beast of a knife and I really like weight. But it does have its draw backs when splitting watermelons or things like that. The tanaka is a step down in thickness and the suminigashi is what I use for a laser which I will probably sell and get a 270 of the same knife when I get a chance. I can do everything I need to all day with just the one gyuto but it is nice to break out the other knives for their preferred tasks when I have the time.

JAWLeather Small Knife Roll - I had to have one after I saw ramenlegend's

Was letting these knives fully dry off after going through 25lbs of BBQ

240mm Shigefusa Sujihiki
210mm Shigefusa Yo-handle Gyuto
170mm Itinomonn Butcher

Behind the fold - 300mm Shigefusa Yanagiba & 180mm Kato Workhorse Petty

3RhVvgQ.jpg

06-05-16-5roll.jpg

180mm Russell Chinese Knife/Nakiri, Stainless, Akudris handle
210mm Tosa Carbon Kurouchi, Tanaka handle
200mm HHH Line knife, AEB-L, Stabilized Honduran Coffee Bag Handle
190mm Scorpion Forge Ko Gyuto, Honyaki W2, Buckeye burl handle
10 inch Kramer by Shun Slicer, SG2 Damascus
3 inch Forschner Birds Beak, Rosewood
3 inch Wusthoff Birds Beak, Fibrox
3 inch HHH Warncliff Parer, AEB-L, Curly Koa
240mm HHH Starfeather Damascus, Golden Amboyna Burl handle w/ Ivory spacer & Bog Oak Bolster
F.Dick Sausage/Saute Fork w/ Stabilized Cocabola Burl
130mm unknown boning knife, converted from old German slicer
173mm Tansu petty/mini gyuto, hand forged san mai, iron clad blue #2, water quenched, dyed maple burl handle by AKudris
105mm Russell petty

JAWLeather Small Knife Roll - I had to have one after I saw ramenlegend's

Was letting these knives fully dry off after going through 25lbs of BBQ

240mm Shigefusa Sujihiki
210mm Shigefusa Yo-handle Gyuto
170mm Itinomonn Butcher

Behind the fold - 300mm Shigefusa Yanagiba & 180mm Kato Workhorse Petty

3RhVvgQ.jpg

Very nice.

Want ;)

Very nice.

Want ;)

Not sure if you meant the roll or the knives - but I'd highly recommend getting something from Jonathon at JAWLeather. His stuff is a complete bargain for the quality. He was great about making adjustments to the roll to fit my needs =)

image.jpg

240 Kato OG workhorse
240 Mizuno
240 Masamoto KS
240 Misono Dragon
250 Shigefusa Gyuto
270 Toyama Sujihiki
270 Tojiro Bread Knife
10" Vintage Sab Slicer
Masamoto Butcher Knife
180 Western Watanabe Gyuto
Harner ktip Parer

View attachment 32206

240 Kato OG workhorse
240 Mizuno
240 Masamoto KS
240 Misono Dragon
250 Shigefusa Gyuto
270 Toyama Sujihiki
270 Tojiro Bread Knife
10" Vintage Sab Slicer
Masamoto Butcher Knife
180 Western Watanabe Gyuto
Harner ktip Parer

Why do you carry an extra wa handle around lol? A really nice one at that.

Back