What's the Strangest Thing You've Eaten

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmm...not that weird but I've eaten a fair bit of lamb's brain. It's not bad actually...

Theraphosa ("Tarantula") spiders, crickets/grasshoppers, cockroaches, silkworm pupae (SE Asia), Witjuti grub (Australia), Funazushi. nankotsu? (chicken cartilage) (Japan), Cuy (Guinea pig), Llama and Alpaca charqui (Bolivia/Ecuador).

Surprised to see Haggis on here.

Used to eat dirt when I was a kid. But that's just plain boring compared to some of the things you guys have eaten!

"Beef" stew in the field in 'Nam. Leather liver also in 'Nam.

School lunchroom liver. Tasted like a rusty pencil eraser. i am not that adventurous. The most exotic thing that I have eaten is whale steak at Bernard's Surf in Cocoa Beach back in 1966 when I was 5. As I recall, it was very pricey and tasted like sauteed ass.

I worked with a Filipino girl who brought Balut to work.... it's cooked eggs with a developed embryo. Did I eat the entire thing? No....but I did taste it.

Baah, cooked you say?

Might as well go to a Denny's for the breakfast special.... :D

How about the exotic or unknown item that you relieved to discover wasn't quite as bizarre as you thought it might be? For me, it was veal kidney in Belgium. I ordered veal something or other (knew the French word for veal, but not the word for "nasty ass organ meat") and when it came out, I was worried that it might be veal "oysters" :lol2:

Very fresh Impala testicles. Actually pretty good once you get past the idea.

How about the exotic or unknown item that you relieved to discover wasn't quite as bizarre as you thought it might be?

similar to this (although I didn't eat it, my friend did). I was going up north and a "delacy" up there is seal eyes. We had a little welcome dinner, and I was skeptical of most foods, (Anthony Bourdain can ruin a lot of experiences for you). We were kind of just handed dishes and ate what came our way, but this thing looked nasty, it was still covered in blood! I couldn't brave it out, but my friend ate it (you kind of suck the juices out) and she said it was actually okay.

I would say tree beetles in thailand, very delicious actually, bit like a cross between crab and chicken. Most disgusting thing I have eaten was frogs legs I bought frozen from a chinese supermarket, put me off frogs legs for life.:sad0:

similar to this (although I didn't eat it, my friend did). I was going up north and a "delacy" up there is seal eyes.

Most adventurous I've ever gotten is in my college years. I had a girlfriend from a MidEastern country and went to her family's place for dinner. Being the guest of honor, her father offered me the goat's eye. What could I do? Gulp.

The most exotic thing that I have eaten is whale steak at Bernard's Surf in Cocoa Beach back in 1966 when I was 5. As I recall, it was very pricey and tasted like sauteed ass.

Lived near Bernard's Surf for years--EVERYTHING they served tasted like sauteed ass!

LOL. Actually, back in the glory days of the manned space program in the 60's and early 70's, that place had a very good reputation.
Lived near Bernard's Surf for years--EVERYTHING they served tasted like sauteed ass!

When i was a kid i loved chips and doritos was a favorite.....i was at a movie with my dad and my mom was waiting outside.....i was mind in my own business chomp in on my diorites like a good kid does......well some frigid ******* at the diorite factory neglected to see the gigantic impressed nugget of diorite powder in this bag....i of course swallowed it.....imagine eating mace!.....i could barely breathe....i ran out of the dark theater and found my mom.....she was smoking with her friends and she had a can of coke.....well i downed the whole thing......

Yup!....it was about three sips of coke and about five cigarettes worth of ashes......that was over twenty years ago and i remember it like it was five minuets Ago.....Ryan

That was in Africa, in the field, not a restaurant.

South Africa or one of the northern african countries?

Did you do it on game type tour or something else?

I ask because my friends family owns quite a few hunting lodges in SA and I visit every year and it would be nice to hear someone else's experience.

South Africa or one of the northern african countries?

Did you do it on game type tour or something else?

I ask because my friends family owns quite a few hunting lodges in SA and I visit every year and it would be nice to hear someone else's experience.

It was on a plains game hunting trip with Uhuru Safaris out of Thabazimbi, RSA. The food was terrific "in the field", though that was usually at the very comfortable hunting lodge. The Impala was actually in the field, lightly sauteed in butter and very good.

I know this isn't that uncommon or stange for chinese restaurants, but I distinctly remember the time I had stewed/steamed duck's feet. Can't say I cared much for the texture of the gelatinous webbing.

Two words...........bird snot!!!!! and they get top dollar for it!!!!!:lol2:
I know this isn't that uncommon or stange for chinese restaurants, but I distinctly remember the time I had stewed/steamed duck's feet. Can't say I cared much for the texture of the gelatinous webbing.

I have eaten maguey worms and they taste really good. Reminds me of pork cracklings, some of them though had some interesting creamy filling... not bad but the texture was really awful at that point in time. Sea cucumber was pretty gnarly too.
Apparently fried worms taste like bacon? Anyone want to confirm or do a taste test?

in culinaey school the chef cooked brains with scrambked eggs, it sounds gross butbit tasted just like scrambled eggs kinda weird.

Growing up I was forced to eat menudo. I throw up now at first smell.

Adam, was the chef in question from Appalachia because apparently, that was not an uncommon dish there in the past. I somehow managed to avoid that and "lamb fries" in my youth in Kentucky.:lol2:

When I lived in Yemen there was this disgusting dish called salta. It was boiled meat and veggies with a fenugreek froth on top. I had to fight down vomit every time I had to eat it. It was considered disrespectful to not eat it. They would also have a slaughtered goat and the Yemenis would often pass me the stomach lining and organs. All the best stuff to the guest.

k.

Back