What's wrong with my Shibata Kotetsu AS 210mm gyuto?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My guess is that someone used a dodgy method to insert (and hold) the tang in the handle.
I might be wrong but it looks to me like the blade is staying straight. You can use a ruler to check if the metal itself is bending, or if the problem is happening inside the handle.

My guess is that someone used a dodgy method to insert (and hold) the tang in the handle.
I might be wrong but it looks to me like the blade is staying straight. You can use a ruler to check if the metal itself is bending, or if the problem is happening inside the handle.

First I thought that handle was just loose but I'm pretty sure that the blade bended near handle.

Few years ago I also had this kind of thing with Kohetsu AS gyuto. At first the blade also bended near handle but then it was like this.

https://www.instagram.com/p/82N1MIpftc/?igshid=aqh5gemgrksv

Yeah it definitely could be the steel bending. It's a risk you face with thin san-mai blades. Monosteel doesn't have this problem as the knife is more like a spring - they're also much harder to straighten.
Interestingly, the more you bend san-mai, the more difficult it becomes to bend.
There's also the chance you'll crack it, like bending a bit of wire back and forth.

There's a stress concentration where the tang transitions into the machi/neck of the knife. It's very likely the location where all the force is getting directed.

Last edited:
I sended the video to Shibata himself and he haven't ever seen it doing like that. Luckily I got mine two bad one returned and got finally good one.

Sorry, I realised I never updated what happened about this.

So I looked at the choil more carefully and compared it to other choil pictures online and to my Moritaka. It instantly became obvious that the knife had actually been sharpened quite a lot.

My theory is the original owner used it, possibly chipped it by a mm or so, sharpened it all back and then returned it, claiming that the only thing wrong with it was a tiny scratch. Or just used it for an extended period of time, then returned it. I don't know how long you'd have to use a knife to have to sharpen away a few mm.

Cuttingedgeknives obviously failed to actually check the knife for anything else and then resold it as a return. I then returned it and got a refund and bought a new one. Hopefully they didn't try to sell it again. On one hand I can see why they didn't check the knife, if you're told it has a scratch that's all you're looking for. On the other hand I feel like they should have checked the knife in its entirety before reselling it. The new one is worlds apart and is my favourite knife in my small collection.

Last edited:
Back