What's your favorite whiskey?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I find the Taketsuru 17 / 21 is really good value, would certainly go up in price!
Nikka21_lg.jpg

Where do you get it? Japan?

yeah, everytime i drive into the remote areas of japan, i scout the local bottle shops. At about 18000JPY, the Taketsuru 21 is much better value than Hakushu 12 @ about 12000 JPY.

yeah, everytime i drive into the remote areas of japan, i scout the local bottle shops. At about 18000JPY, the Taketsuru 21 is much better value than Hakushu 12 @ about 12000 JPY.

It about twice that here.

I'm a bit out of the loop on this, but a friend just gave me an Ardbeg 10 and I was happy to see I still immediately recognized and still enjoyed it. Had some nice ones in more affluent times, most fondly remember the 25y Bowmore, a few independent filler Caol Islas, a couple of 28y sherry-matured Ardbegs, a 35y Springbank, and my favorite for a long time, the Ardbeg 75. On my list for stocking up a bar over the course of the year are the standard or cask strength Lagavulin, Ardbeg 10 and/or a decent Caol Isla, Highland Park 15/18, maybe a Springbank 15ish.

I know nothing about the Japanese ones, I got out of the whisky craziness just when they started rising in the market. But I do also enjoy an occasional American whisky - still think the Wild Turkey 101 is a great value, Makers Mark is decent, even used to enjoy an occasional Booker's.

Which makes me think - once I finish my 'pantry essentials' thread, maybe we should open a 'home bar essentials' thread here...

Stefan

apicus, try the wild turkey rare breed, it's even better than the 101 and still affordable. they have another called 'forgiven' but havent tried that yet.

How do you drink it?

One day, I will take you up on that.

Alcohol is heavily taxed here. Even the Nikka I would have to order online at about $200, which isn't too bad, but probably cheaper on your end.

You're always welcome.
Boston Logan is the local Int'l airport.
International KKF whisky tasting...a nice thought.

crown royal northern harvest rye. if i can find it in stock. ugh.

mackmyra...if the Swedish whisky is as good as their steel, that could be a delightful dram.

You guys make me feel inexperienced.. which is hard to believe considering the amount of liquor and beer I've consumed.

I love the plain ol' Crown Royal. It's my go to drink. I haven't tried them all, but I wasn't a fan of the blends like Maple or Apple.

Excluding single casks/limited releases etc. (i.e. distillery core range bottlings only, and allowing for batch variation)

Benromach 10 (100 proof)
Highland Park 21
Springbank 18
Ardbeg Uigeadail
Talisker 10
Longrow NAS
Ben Nevis 10

My go to is Lagavulin 16.

Though I visited Scotland and specifically the highlands 2 years ago and bottled and brought back many single casks bottle. My favorite of that bunch is a Glenfiddich - cask strength (60.03%), barreled in sherry barrels in 1995. During the tour we got to try 6 barrels hand selected by the malt master.

Talisker is my favourite 'all rounder' closely followed by Cragganmore.
Lagavulin is a very nice, very peaty drink, Glenfarclas is good, Dalwhinnie has something of a floral aroma if I remember.
The good thing about malts is that there is a massive variety.
Was heavily into single malts 20 years ago, maybe I should reacquaint myself.
Tasmania and Japanese malts are getting (have been for a while?) popular out here now.

AnCnoc 16 year is a great bottle with a unique floral note. Unfortunately AnCnoc no longer produces the 16 year and now has an 18 year which costs twice as much and doesn't taste even half as good =/

I didn't know that. I've had an unopened AnCnoc 16 on my shelf for a little over two years. Maybe I should wait it out.

I didn't know that. I've had an unopened AnCnoc 16 on my shelf for a little over two years. Maybe I should wait it out.

I'd give it a taste at least =)

AnCnoc 16 is $ for $ my favorite scotch I've ever had.

AnCnoc 16 is discontinued but still readily available in the UK.

Agree that it is a quality dram, and that recent bottlings are not as good.

Macallan 15

I was shocked to find I favor the 15yr fine oak to the 18yr sherry cask. 15 yr is under $90 here while the 18yr runs about $240. The 15 was smoother and the unwanted flavors of the 18 were balanced out if not absent altogether.

AnCnoc (Knockdhu) remains a fairly obscure distillery in spite of some good press over the last decade. As I alluded to above, recent core bottlings I have tasted are perhaps lower in intrinstic quality. Their older expressions are very keenly priced and are a sensible choice for those looking to experience well-aged malt.

Macallan 18 Sherry Oak is pretty average IMO. Pushing £200 is taking the piss frankly.

I actually prefer the 1997 (18) Speymalt independent bottling of Macallan by Gordon & MacPhail. More distillery character, much less oak, a third of the price.

just put half a bottle of Hakushu 18 down with some friends. Had an after taste I had to get used to, but overall a nice balanced whiskey. There was a bottle of belvanie 50 year at the store for 45k....group buy?

Back