Where to find old Japanese knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nomsdotcom

Reaction score
I've recently been wondering if there is a way for me to get my hands on some older Japanese knives. I saw a Bernal post about some new/old stock knife that was from the 70's, and that kinda piqued my interest.
Not sure of what maker, or time period I should be hunting, for but I figured I'd see if anyone has good suggestions.

Guessing there isn't an online database of Japanese smiths, complete with family trees and associated sharpeners ect... but someone should take that project on [emoji6]

Mostly just looking for something unique, as long as the steel is good I'm fine with altering profile ect. Holding off on posting a straight up BST until I know a little bit more of what I'm searching for.

Thanks,
Kevin

Would love to know as well. Have been trying to did through Google recently. I have found some cool posts about Thrift Shop finds and antique shops, but they seem like rare occurrences. It's my dream to stumble upon on old beater and bring her out of retirement. Thanks for making this post, can't wait t o read more.

I see a few crop up on Ebay. Mostly sold by Japanese based sellers.

Probabaly a little out of my price range at the moment. But something to save for. A Jin deba would make me very happy :]
Love that little bit of copper in there

Probabaly a little out of my price range at the moment. But something to save for. A Jin deba would make me very happy :]
Love that little bit of copper in there

There’s a dandy in BST. :)

I have bought several Japanese knives from the eBay seller happu2015 . His stuff ranges in quality and expense from cheap Japanese housewife santoku with Western handles all the way up to 50 year old Masamoto yanagibas. They ship from Japan but have never taken longer than 2 weeks to arrive in Boston. My only gripe is I wish that he wouldn't sharpen the stuff before he lists it. He does a good job but I would prefer to get it fresh and rusty from the barn, or whatever the equivalent storage place of last resort exists in Japan.

I've recently been wondering if there is a way for me to get my hands on some older Japanese knives. I saw a Bernal post about some new/old stock knife that was from the 70's, and that kinda piqued my interest.
Not sure of what maker, or time period I should be hunting, for but I figured I'd see if anyone has good suggestions.

Guessing there isn't an online database of Japanese smiths, complete with family trees and associated sharpeners ect... but someone should take that project on [emoji6]

Mostly just looking for something unique, as long as the steel is good I'm fine with altering profile ect. Holding off on posting a straight up BST until I know a little bit more of what I'm searching for.

Thanks,
Kevin

eBay has some killer vintage Japanese knives and others, just type “vintage Japanese knife”

Back