Quantcast

Which 210 nakiri?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

spaceconvoy

Reaction score
has anyone consciously bought a 210 nakiri over a cleaver?
Last time I did, I was still coming down on a heavy dose of quaaludes. I thought I was leaving a negative yelp review for my local starbucks, but the next morning I realized I had unconsciously bought a 210 nakiri.

chappychap

Reaction score
Could possibly also consider the Shibata Kotetsu...
FWIW I was looking for a flat profile for better push cutting and eventually just ended up trying the Shibata Kotetsu 240. Currently my favourite knife. As long as you take care of the blade with good technique, it'll take care of you :)

Keen to see how this pans out for you though, as I'd be open to a longer nikiri than my 165 Anryu in the future.

RockyBasel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
FWIW I was looking for a flat profile for better push cutting and eventually just ended up trying the Shibata Kotetsu 240. Currently my favourite knife. As long as you take care of the blade with good technique, it'll take care of you :)

Keen to see how this pans out for you though, as I'd be open to a longer nikiri than my 165 Anryu in the future.
I have two 210 Nakiri’s - Watanabe Pro and Toyama. Love them both, and they are a joy to use - Watanabe the more heavier of the two

nimble enough and easy to use

JoBone

Jobone_craftsman
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cutting a watermelon this morning, thinking it would be nice to have a larger Nakiri...

I am only half joking in recommending a Kiritsuki as many tend to be a combination of a Gyuto and Nakiri.

JoBone

Jobone_craftsman
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve heard really good things about the usubas from Hideo Kitaoaka. He’s 70 and only makes tradition Japanese knives, if you want a single bevel, he’s a good option.

Sukenari also make a 210 usuba and if they are anything like their other knives, I imagine they will be top notch.

Qapla'

Reaction score
Cutting a watermelon this morning, thinking it would be nice to have a larger Nakiri...
They're out there, but they aren't always called "nakiri". You might find super-size nakiri's listed as "suika-kiri" ("watermelon-cutter"), "negi-kiri" ("scallion[-bunch] cutter"), "oh-gata nakiri" ("large-scale nakiri"), or yet something else. You'll likely have to do some digging around.

Here are some examples from Masahiro and Takayuki.

Last edited:

zizirex

Reaction score
Why only 210 if you can get 360?

josemartinlopez

我會買所有的獨角獸
Banned
Reaction score
I've actually found it more satisfying to cut a softer papaya in half, but you don't need a nakiri.

Noodle Soup

Reaction score
Why only 210 if you can get 360?

I've seen a lot of extra long nakari shaped knives being used SE Asia for melons and other fruit. Usually Kiwi or a similar brand at very low prices rather than the ultra expensive by their standards Japanese versions.