Which 210 nakiri?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My favorite Cleaver
EE3D0D03-75CB-41A6-9D30-55A4D96733E4.png

Could possibly also consider the Shibata Kotetsu...

FWIW I was looking for a flat profile for better push cutting and eventually just ended up trying the Shibata Kotetsu 240. Currently my favourite knife. As long as you take care of the blade with good technique, it'll take care of you :)

Keen to see how this pans out for you though, as I'd be open to a longer nikiri than my 165 Anryu in the future.

FWIW I was looking for a flat profile for better push cutting and eventually just ended up trying the Shibata Kotetsu 240. Currently my favourite knife. As long as you take care of the blade with good technique, it'll take care of you :)

Keen to see how this pans out for you though, as I'd be open to a longer nikiri than my 165 Anryu in the future.
I have two 210 Nakiri’s - Watanabe Pro and Toyama. Love them both, and they are a joy to use - Watanabe the more heavier of the two

nimble enough and easy to use

I’ve heard really good things about the usubas from Hideo Kitaoaka. He’s 70 and only makes tradition Japanese knives, if you want a single bevel, he’s a good option.

Sukenari also make a 210 usuba and if they are anything like their other knives, I imagine they will be top notch.

Cutting a watermelon this morning, thinking it would be nice to have a larger Nakiri...
They're out there, but they aren't always called "nakiri". You might find super-size nakiri's listed as "suika-kiri" ("watermelon-cutter"), "negi-kiri" ("scallion[-bunch] cutter"), "oh-gata nakiri" ("large-scale nakiri"), or yet something else. You'll likely have to do some digging around.

Here are some examples from Masahiro and Takayuki.

Last edited:
I've actually found it more satisfying to cut a softer papaya in half, but you don't need a nakiri.

Back