Which would you pick?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How much are you using the knife?A carbon blade used alot forms a natural patina cutting various kinds of food.Using a rag on corner board is good.Don't worry about every little stain.After the patina is formed only the polished edge can rust,after it patina's with alot of cutting not a problem either.If you polish the blade every time it stains you will go through danger of rust all over again.

Shigs really aren't like that, they really like to react a lot even when the patina seems well developed, in my experience. A refinish typically fixes the issue.

So 320 grit as the highest grit? Seems low, but I'll try it. I tried a hot vinegar bath and it worked awesome as far as reactivity, but I noticed it had major stiction afterward. Hit it with 0000 steel wool and it seemed to take care off that, but I was never sure it was back to original, and since I sent that knife back due to a flaw in the blade, I was leery of doing with my new knife.

So 320 grit as the highest grit? Seems low, but I'll try it. I tried a hot vinegar bath and it worked awesome as far as reactivity, but I noticed it had major stiction afterward. Hit it with 0000 steel wool and it seemed to take care off that, but I was never sure it was back to original, and since I sent that knife back due to a flaw in the blade, I was leery of doing with my new knife.

On my knives, I started with 320, and then went to 600 or so, after I figured out the whole over-polishing thing. That's all it needs. Steel wool after vinegar should be fine, but I'd try coarser sandpaper, first. Carbon knives are never like they were when new, after the first use, so I wouldn't worry about it.

FWIW, I held out on the first run of 210 Kochi stainless because they seemed thicker/beefier than the carbon versions. Jon confirmed this, but said the next batch ought to be a bit thinner. Overseas shipping from him is expensive enough to have second thoughts, but it's still the kind of knife I'd like to try.

The stainless-clad kasumi Itinomon from Maksim are really nice, but the wa-handled versions are kinda curvy. The western-handled ones are a bit flatter, if you're willing to put up with the handle. I waffled for a while about them but ultimately decided to hold back and hope that he gets some stuff that appeals to me more in the future.

I just picked up a parer from Itinomonn. If they had a flatter profile it would be exactly what I'm looking for. Maybe Maxim can the 210mm flatter in the future. Until then I'll probably pick up a Kochi.

Back