White chunk on brand new Sharpton Pro 320x, is this normal?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NotAddictedYet

Remember to Enable
Reaction score
Video of the stone here:

This is my first time playing with stones, is this normal for a brand new stone? This is straight out of the box and I have not used it at all. The other two Sharpton Pro I purchased are much more uniform in color. I'm less concerned about the aesthetic than performance, but also wonder if this means the stone has been used before.

I think it may have been exposed to a high humidity environment and some form of crystallization happened on the surface there. If it's not too much of a hassle, you can just return it and get a replacement (that depends on where you are and where you bought from of course). I suspect it won't really affect performance, but for a newly bought product it's more than reasonable to expect that certain standards are met.

EDIT: Also, I just realized that it seems to be missing the print that Shapton stones have on one side of the stone. That seems to indicate that this is not a brand-new stone. It's been used and the print has been worn off or something. Are the other two stone still blemish free and have that print on one side? Or are they all used stones?

EDIT 2: I also wanted to mention that I like your username. Seems prophetic.

Last edited:
Helmore, thanks for the reply. Now that you mentioned, I do remember the stone feeling a little wet when I took them out of the box. The other two stones look news with the logo printed on one side, here is a pic and video of them . Do these look ok to you?

Yes, the 320x is missing the logo, i totally missed that also. That can't be right, right? I bought these stones from CKTG.

Yes, the 320x is missing the logo, i totally missed that also. That can't be right, right? I bought these stones from CKTG.
Unless something changed at Shapton's end very recently, the 320 definitely should have a similar printing as the others.
Seems like CKTG owes you an explanation, at very least.

Unless something changed at Shapton's end very recently, the 320 definitely should have a similar printing as the others.
Seems like CKTG owes you an explanation, at very least.
I find it hard to imagine them packing and sending this stone without noticing. If it was a return they should have told you, and offer a substantial discount.

I have that stone ( 320 ) 2 actually and the ink on mine is VERY faint. I have to turn mine at an angle to see it. Could that be it? Throwing this out there.

For a short time the Shapton Pro stones sold through the US distributor had no markings on the stone, this was posted on the CKTG web page. These stones were later discontinued when Shapton started selling the Kuromaku version(the version sold in Japan) in the states. You received an older stock stone. Was it sealed in plastic? I don't think this was a return that was "passed off" but it does look flawed and I'm sure Mark would replace it. Looks like a bad "mix" when making the stone.

The older version, these had no stamp for a period.
00001.png

The Kuromaku version, same stone different packaging.

0001.jpg

Last edited:
Not all of the SPs have printing. My 320, bought new from MTC, is not printed.
As for the white spot, I dunno, does it seem like it’s on the surface only? It may be some residue from the manufacturing process? Like mold release agent?

I have that stone ( 320 ) 2 actually and the ink on mine is VERY faint. I have to turn mine at an angle to see it. Could that be it? Throwing this out there.

I checked the stones again, there is definitely no marking on either, unless I need to also get my eyes checked..:)

You received an older stock stone. Was it sealed in plastic? I don't think this was a return that was "passed off" but it does look flawed and I'm sure Mark would replace it. Looks like a bad "mix" when making the stone.
Then again, might not be a thing wrong with it. Look at this one. Shapton Ha-no-kuromaku sharpening stone #320 Medium coarse :oops:

Thanks for the info. Yup, looks like this is it. The 320x was wrapped in plastic where as the other two came in a plastic case. But yes the link you posted looks not so great.. I

I checked the stones again, there is definitely no marking on either, unless I need to also get my eyes checked..:)

You received an older stock stone. Was it sealed in plastic? I don't think this was a return that was "passed off" but it does look flawed and I'm sure Mark would replace it. Looks like a bad "mix" when making the stone.
Then again, might not be a thing wrong with it. Look at this one. Shapton Ha-no-kuromaku sharpening stone #320 Medium coarse :oops:

Thanks for the info. Yup, looks like this is it. The 320x was wrapped in plastic where as the other two came in a plastic case. But yes the link you posted looks not so great.. I will give mark a call tomorrow and see.

Yes, I'm just wondering if the stone was in plastic/plastic wrap without a case or not.

EDIT: I totally missed the case in the picture. Nevermind me.

Back