Wusthof Aeon or TF Denka?!?!?!?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigbbaillie

Reaction score
Guys I'm really undecided, I hear all about the F&F issues with TF so maybe I should just go for this Wusthof instead. After all, I would have money left over for a Wusthof paring knife if I went for 210 Denka. hmm
https://www.wusthof.com/collections/aeon/products/8-cooks-knife-1011000120
Diamond-like coating sounds kinda cool, probably has a better grind than a TF too.
Does anyone have any experience with the AEON to chime in?

W t f, a diamond coated knife? I guess you could buy it, but an Atoma 140 would probably be cheaper for flattening your sharpening stones.

Idk, I’d be a little suspicious of the coating. If it’s not perfectly durable, the knife will look like **** after a while because it’ll get scratches you’ll never be able to refinish it. If it is somehow perfectly durable, won’t that make it hard to sharpen?

In any case, this sounds like it’s marketed to the very niche market of people who buy $600 knives, never sharpen them and throw them in the dishwasher.

Hmm, maybe that is the same as the Denka market tho. 🤔

Last edited:
Nice it also has a full bolster to reinforce the no sharpening.

Edit: not sure that the sarcasm is clear. Full bolster is probably the dumbest thing besides maybe making the knife out of a cheese grater.

DLC might be interesting if the whole knife was actually made out of it.

I'm not sure how helpful a super-hard coat of paint would be on a steel knife.

I suggest finding a well-designed knife that has consistently great F&F. Sounds like neither of your choices make sense.

Full bolster is probably the dumbest thing besides maybe making the knife out of a cheese grater.

tenor.gif

Pizza or ice cream?
If this is what you're choosing between you should probably spend a whole lot less...

(if you're trolling to show that an inconsistent and sometimes sloppy maker is no better than a stupid design, then I'm with you.)

I'm mostly just joking, it's funny to see how subjective value can be. 300+ extra dollars for some diamond coated finish on a wusthof sounds a little wild to me, as I'm sure many of you would agree. At the same time though, as mentioned above, I'm sure these wusthof are a hell of a lot more consistent than any TF from what I've read so how can you really judge.

Not really in the market for either knife, maybe I'll take on a TF as a project at some point, doubtful I will ever see one of these "Aeons" though. Still treading the waters of mid priced J knives for now.

I'm mostly just joking, it's funny to see how subjective value can be. 300+ extra dollars for some diamond coated finish on a wusthof sounds a little wild to me, as I'm sure many of you would agree. At the same time though, as mentioned above, I'm sure these wusthof are a hell of a lot more consistent than any TF from what I've read so how can you really judge.

Not really in the market for either knife, maybe I'll take on a TF as a project at some point, doubtful I will ever see one of these "Aeons" though. Still treading the waters of mid priced J knives for now.
For the record, I still love my TFs. Best cutters I've had

Hard to effectively hold a bananular phone up to helmetian headgear.

Nice it also has a full bolster to reinforce the no sharpening.

Edit: not sure that the sarcasm is clear. Full bolster is probably the dumbest thing besides maybe making the knife out of a cheese grater.
Or a horseshoe rasp....

Back