Yanagibas

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FishmanDE

Reaction score
So,

Long story short, I’ve been into yanagibas lately and have noticed aside from togashi, there don’t seem to be very many shirogami 1 yanagibas available. Does anyone know why that is? To my understanding it is very pure and should lend itself to becoming extremely sharp.

The second part of this is looking for recommendations on yanagibas. I have a cheap tojiro w2 270 (260) and a less cheap Mazaki w2 300mm (285). I don’t really need a third, but do any of us need any of these? I was looking at 2 very different knives; togashi shiro 1 300mm or waiting for a Y. Tanaka Aogami 1 300mm to become available. I’m looking for something that’s going to get use but I would consider myself just beyond a novice in regards to dealing with single bevels, so I don’t want something super expensive.

Let me know what you all think!!

So,

Long story short, I’ve been into yanagibas lately and have noticed aside from togashi, there don’t seem to be very many shirogami 1 yanagibas available. Does anyone know why that is? To my understanding it is very pure and should lend itself to becoming extremely sharp.

The second part of this is looking for recommendations on yanagibas. I have a cheap tojiro w2 270 (260) and a less cheap Mazaki w2 300mm (285). I don’t really need a third, but do any of us need any of these? I was looking at 2 very different knives; togashi shiro 1 300mm or waiting for a Y. Tanaka Aogami 1 300mm to become available. I’m looking for something that’s going to get use but I would consider myself just beyond a novice in regards to dealing with single bevels, so I don’t want something super expensive.

Let me know what you all think!!

Togashi (whether Kenji Togashi himself, or his sons Kenkô[?] and Ryûshô[?]) are prolific makers; they make a lot of knives. He's famed for his white-steel work, but he also makes blue-steel knives, including honyaki's.
If you seek white-1 from Nakagawa, you might check out JCK or Tadokoro.
For white-1 from Baba, check out Kagekiyo.
I don't know who makes the Ichimonji Mitsuhide ones.
And of course, there's the TF Maboroshi, favored among the TF cult on the board.

Which Togashi shirogami-1? Togashi makes a lot of different knives at different price points. A Hitohira Tachi, a Suisin Densho, and yet some other Togashi-made white-1 knife might cost quite different prices.

If you seek Yoshikazu Tanaka's blue-1 work, you might also check out Kikumori, whether "standard" or from their Choyo or Kikuzuki lines.

Can you tell us what you're looking for from the new yanagiba?

Disclaimer: I have no experience with any of these knives.

Togashi (whether Kenji Togashi himself, or his sons Kenkô[?] and Ryûshô[?]) are prolific makers; they make a lot of knives. He's famed for his white-steel work, but he also makes blue-steel knives, including honyaki's.
If you seek white-1 from Nakagawa, you might check out JCK or Tadokoro.
For white-1 from Baba, check out Kagekiyo.
I don't know who makes the Ichimonji Mitsuhide ones.
And of course, there's the TF Maboroshi, favored among the TF cult on the board.

Which Togashi shirogami-1? Togashi makes a lot of different knives at different price points. A Hitohira Tachi, a Suisin Densho, and yet some other Togashi-made white-1 knife might cost quite different prices.

If you seek Yoshikazu Tanaka's blue-1 work, you might also check out Kikumori, whether "standard" or from their Choyo or Kikuzuki lines.

Can you tell us what you're looking for from the new yanagiba?

Disclaimer: I have no experience with any of these knives.
Just looking for a new toy. And was curious as to why white 1 wasn’t more prevalent. I feel like a yanagiba is the perfect style of knife for that steel.

I’m glad you mentioned the TF gang, I was eyeballing the kasumi version. But am worried it only comes in stainless. Can anyone corroborate?

Just looking for a new toy. And was curious as to why white 1 wasn’t more prevalent. I feel like a yanagiba is the perfect style of knife for that steel.

I’m glad you mentioned the TF gang, I was eyeballing the kasumi version. But am worried it only comes in stainless. Can anyone corroborate?

So a white-1 single-bevel slicer that offers novelty and isn't super expensive? What do you think of these?

https://miuraknives.com/japanese-kn...no-white-steel-no1-tam30cm.html#/33-size-30cm
https://japanesechefsknife.com/coll...eel-no-1-suminagashi-kiritsuke-270mm-10-6inch

As for TF, the TF Kasumi is stainless-clad blue-2. If you seek his white-1, you'd be looking at his Nashiji (up to 270mm) or Maboroshi. If you don't seek to have them super-expensively, you'll likely have to negotiate with his cult on the BST.

Though if you're truly willing to pay TF prices, you might instead consider sticking with Togashi and going for one of his white-honyaki yanagiba's.

You should message Michael with knifejapan. I recently bought 2 yanagibas with his help. One was a custom order petit 180mm in shirogami #1. Took about 4 weeks to get it to me. Very happy with these knives.
Michael is such an excellent seller and I can’t recommend him enough. Some of my absolute favorites steels and knives have come from him. I bet he still has a Mikami yanagi that I’d highly recommend OP considering.

I have the 300mm togashi hitohira tachi finished one - to me it’s great knife with few flaws, although I have little experience with yanagi or single bevels in general. I can say it cuts perfectly well with the ootb edge, but edge retention is less than stellar. Forged by kenji, sharpened by Kenya, I have trust they would put out a good product.

It hasn’t seen stones yet so I can’t speak to how the steel sharpens up.

Basically a vote of confidence if you’re considering this one. I like it. SKS has denka yanagi’s for half price if you’re going to go crazy and use AS on fish. And fix insane bevels.

Suisin makes yanagiba at many price points, the majority in white (though I don't remember which flavor white).

Your profile says NY, what more excuse do you need to visit Korin?
Oh, no thank you! #teamMTC

I have the 300mm togashi hitohira tachi finished one - to me it’s great knife with few flaws, although I have little experience with yanagi or single bevels in general. I can say it cuts perfectly well with the ootb edge, but edge retention is less than stellar. Forged by kenji, sharpened by Kenya, I have trust they would put out a good product.

It hasn’t seen stones yet so I can’t speak to how the steel sharpens up.

Basically a vote of confidence if you’re considering this one. I like it. SKS has denka yanagi’s for half price if you’re going to go crazy and use AS on fish. And fix insane bevels.
SKS?

Michael is such an excellent seller and I can’t recommend him enough. Some of my absolute favorites steels and knives have come from him. I bet he still has a Mikami yanagi that I’d highly recommend OP considering.
Michael has been super helpful and amazingly responsive! Currently, I’m leaning towards splurging on an unshu white 1. There has been some very big talk about the quality of this white 1 and I feel compelled to put it to the test

Sharp knife shop up here in Canada. I hear they’re wonky affffff tho. I wouldn’t dare tackle something like that with my current understanding of single bevel geometry.

Like half price wonky.
Oh snap

Michael has been super helpful and amazingly responsive! Currently, I’m leaning towards splurging on an unshu white 1. There has been some very big talk about the quality of this white 1 and I feel compelled to put it to the test
The stories don’t exaggerate! I was also pleased with the grind quality on my Unshu petty

I can chime in a bit. I have a 300mm w1 Tanaka Yoshikazu yanagi from Suisin. It’s a fine knife, but a little chip prone. I'm not sure whether that's a quality of the heat treatment or the grind or both. For my yanagiba, I tend to lean to beta togi style, so it's a bit more delicate anyways.

In contrast my Togashi w1 (Byakko) feels super hard. It's tough to sharpen for w1, but it's also tough in use. It also has a much thicker grind than my Tanaka.

Overall, I like the profile of the Tanaka the best. It's extremely well suited for it's job. The Togashi is super tough - it takes a better edge and it lasts longer, but the profile makes it harder for me to use (though I'm sure it fits other people better).

Back