Yoshikane v Mac v Takayuki

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have 2 Takada's love both. One I don't use cause of a chip I did on a steel. (found out later that is a big no-no with that steel):beatinghead: I will be getting a re-handle soon for both.

But you never asked about Takada, so that isn't allowed by what you asked at first. :spin chair:

Takada is clearly a superior knife, but I don't recall the OP expressing any interest in expensive, thin, tall at the heel carbon knives. Seems to me Takeda is just about as far as you get from a Yoshi hammered. Shrug

From what I've heard, the yoshi with western handle are thicker than standard - a real beater. Never tried Takeda but I could imagine that's what people here would recommend.

Maybe I missed a post. I thought the hammer finished ones were what we were talking about.
People have been comparing both.

is there? i've only used my V2, never a hammer finished.
I should have said between Yoshikane's different lines. If you look at one of his Damascus ku ones an compare it to your v2 you wouldn't think the maker was the same.

The Takeda is a better cutter, gets sharper easier but I think it's less versatile, chippy and the cladding and kuro-uchi finish can be problematic. I pick neither. :)

I have purchased and sold a few knives and I still own a yoshi skd 240mm Wa.

I think we still need to guide this guy to answer the basic questions.... A Takeda and a yo Yoshi are different monsters.

It's like asking should I get a Honda Pilot or a Volkswagon Jetta; both may be great vehicles, but they're in completely different classes.

I appreciate that statement NoChop. Yes perhaps I am looking at it in the wrong way (looking for the best knife) but really my needs aren't anything substantial, I simply want a great knife. I'm certainly willing to pay for quality as well. I just want a nice clean knife that can cut tomatoes into paper, cut meats, and not break and be crappy and get dull after a few uses. If it looks good, all the better. Now, I dont know if this helps, but I am actually quite talented with water stones, however I don't think I'd ever sharpen them myself, I think I'd simply send the knife back to factory to get resharpened.

The Takeda will cut your tomatoes this as paper, does cut meats well, but will slightly chip in certain situations from my experience but in both cases I was being dumb. It comes with a very nice blade OTB. After I got it resharpened just because, it took on an even crazier edge. Its been a few weeks since I had it sharpened and its still crazy sharp and I use it +-12hours a day. Dont know about the other knife but sounds pretty good too. One note is that the Takeda will start surface rust if you don't wipe it down after each use (easy to do, and worth it to me) I really like the korouchi(sp?) finish on it. It has a very rustic feeling to it.

i really love my Takeda 240, but i had to put in a lot of work to get it how i wanted it. i'm not sure i'd recommend it to somebody who is "quite talented with water stones" but who would "simply send [it] back to the factory to be resharpened."

A few questions, chrisg. What stones do you use/own? What type/brand knives did you use to become "quite talented? with waterstones? You've described yourself as a home cook who cooks every day. How often do you sharpen your knives? Once a week? Once a month? Twice a year? I ask that question because clearly, what ever that number is, you would have to multiply by the cost of sending your knife back to the factory for sharpening. Even the cost of one resharpening by the factory, considering shipping cost, seems excessive/unecessary to me if you are good with waterstones. Why would you not sharpen them yourself? Just curious, as I can't quite get my head around your strategy.

I have a Norton set (220,1000,4000,8000)

I have sharpened several knife brands over the course of 3 years or so, several knife types as well. They have all come out very sharp - and I have had a "Knife expert" tell me that my sharpening technique was quite good. Really thats nor here nor there, I really don't think I'd like to sharpen it myself because I like things the way they were designed by manufacturer. Now, maybe this method of thinking is not very good with Kitchen Knives (as I certainly don't know much about them). And using it every day for maybe a dinner in the evening type deal I was probably going to sharpen it every couple of months.

If I am way off in this, by all means let me know.

Well..."way off" is probably a little harsh. ;-) If you have been pleased with your sharpening results, it simply makes little sense, to me, to pay someone else do it. Most who get the Japanese knife bug eventually get the sharpening bug as well. Unless you're very heavy handed, it seems unlikely that you will destroy the design of the manufacturer. Shrug

For your part, you're not making this any easier. If you want advice that's tailored to you, you must offer some information about yourself and either go into some detail your knife likes and dislikes or admit that you're a seeker who hasn't really formed opinions. The alternative is continuing to offer lists of things you might or might not like while a bunch of guys tell you what they like for themselves -- not the sort of thing which is actually helpful.

+1

With a budget likes yours, it is impossible to narrow the field of options without some more help from you.

Read this thread and fill out the questionnaire, and you may get a whole new list of suggestions from the members here.

The truth of the matter is there are very few people that have tried a lot of knives and still love their Yoshikanes.

I have purchased and sold a few knives and I still own a yoshi skd 240mm Wa.

C'mon RRLOVER, how can that be?
The truth of the matter there isn't even a full dozen testimonials here... :wink:

chrisg said:
;87415Now, maybe this method of thinking is not very good with Kitchen Knives (as I certainly don't know much about them).

many Japanese knives aren't sharp when they are shipped out. some aren't even beveled. you are expected to put your own preferred edge style on the knife. the Yoshi will be sharp, as will the Takeda, but the idea of using them "as manufactured" is silly. especially with Takeda, since there is such a large variation between his knives.

In this group of three brands aforementioned why are they in fact not fungible dollar value or personal preference. If dollar value is omitted which order would you rate them. Or referencing your next statement other knives in this class. What would a reasonable person consider the ultimate laser if price was a moot issue.

To the extent dollar value and personal preference differ, the knives are not -- by definition -- fungible.

Of all the lasers I've tried I prefer the Konosuke HD for its feel on the board (profile), feel in the hand (handle), feel on the stones, and semi-stainless ease of maintenance. After the Kono, perhaps the Tadatsuna. However, I'm not everyone and certainly not chrisg (the OP) which is why his feedback could be helpful.

So far all we know is that he's interested in some fairly high-end, high-performance knives, but doesn't have much of an idea of how to sharpen them. From that I infer -- whether correctly or incorrectly -- that he's also not much of a knife technician. I'd like to know what his plans are in terms of how much time and money he's willing to commit to sharpening, and how much time to knife skills. But there's already so much "buy this or that" noise in this thread it doesn't seem like there's much chance of a meaningful dialogue.

BDL

Takada is clearly a superior knife, but I don't recall the OP expressing any interest in expensive, thin, tall at the heel carbon knives. Seems to me Takeda is just about as far as you get from a Yoshi hammered. Shrug

The reason I said Takeda, aside from the fact that I like mine, was to see just how specific his desires were.

Well..."way off" is probably a little harsh. ;-) If you have been pleased with your sharpening results, it simply makes little sense, to me, to pay someone else do it. Most who get the Japanese knife bug eventually get the sharpening bug as well. Unless you're very heavy handed, it seems unlikely that you will destroy the design of the manufacturer. Shrug

I don't mean to be rude but I think "way off" is pretty accurate...I mean where would you even send it? yeah by all means send it Dave or someone to get it sharpened, but send a knife back to Sakai? The maker will probably be confused also!

I think the concept of "as the manufacturer intended" doesn't really apply...your knife, when brand new, will come probably sharper than 95% of people's knives but not sharp compared to what it could (and should) be with proper sharpening.

To me I think you can just pick any of the knives in your list (your new list) and you will be more than happy with any of them.

To the extent dollar value and personal preference differ, the knives are not -- by definition -- fungible.

Of all the lasers I've tried I prefer the Konosuke HD for its feel on the board (profile), feel in the hand (handle), feel on the stones, and semi-stainless ease of maintenance. After the Kono, perhaps the Tadatsuna. However, I'm not everyone and certainly not chrisg (the OP) which is why his feedback could be helpful.

So far all we know is that he's interested in some fairly high-end, high-performance knives, but doesn't have much of an idea of how to sharpen them. From that I infer -- whether correctly or incorrectly -- that he's also not much of a knife technician. I'd like to know what his plans are in terms of how much time and money he's willing to commit to sharpening, and how much time to knife skills. But there's already so much "buy this or that" noise in this thread it doesn't seem like there's much chance of a meaningful dialogue.

BDL

Thanks for your opinions. Currently, I am considering a 270 Sakai Yusuke in Swedish stainless I am test driving. It feels like a natural extension. Also, I have a Rodrigue 270 gyuto being made. I have heard nothing but good things about Konosuke. I am always interested in people's opinions of a perfect gyuto. I am much more interested in wa handled thin bladed gyutos.

I am no knife technician. While I know how to use a waterstone set very well, I can also say I am no pro-sharpener, maintainer, etc. Money is not really a problem in any degree, but time is not something I'm willing to commit to drastically. I do not want to have to sharpen this knife once a week. Once every month is fine.

Since the price increase misono ux10 is not as popular, but may be one to add to your list with your criteria. I will probably catch hell for this, but excellent fit and finish, balance, and edge retention. Read up on the ux10 240mm gyuto. Good luck on your journey.

Maybe seeing that you can sharpen knives very well, yet you don't want to sharpen your own (??????????), you should check out a steel that has superior edge retention. PM or MC, like ZDP-189 or SG2 or R2..... or maybe since money is not really a problem to any degree; cowry X!

I am no knife technician. While I know how to use a waterstone set very well, I can also say I am no pro-sharpener, maintainer, etc. Money is not really a problem in any degree, but time is not something I'm willing to commit to drastically. I do not want to have to sharpen this knife once a week. Once every month is fine.
IMO, it sounds like for your use, you could just do a yearly or twice yearly sharpening by sending it away and be perfectly fine with the results.

Maybe get two knives so you have something to use when you send the other away.

Maybe seeing that you can sharpen knives very well, yet you don't want to sharpen your own (??????????), you should check out a steel that has superior edge retention. PM or MC, like ZDP-189 or SG2 or R2..... or maybe since money is not really a problem to any degree; cowry X!

When I first had an interest in knives, if I had come on here and read this post I would just be confused and put off. I don't mean it as an insult, just that it just doesn't make any sense to most people that aren't us, IMO.

Sorry, it is more harsh than I intended. I was chuckling when I typed it, but that clearly doesn't come through when I re-read it...

But the real point was that there are knives whose strong point is edge retention, since this became an area of debate....

Sounds to me like you have more discretionary income than time. you've had a ton of recommendation, almost any one of which would probably please you. Why not buy two or three, send them off to Dave when they're dull, pick the one you like (or two) and sell the others on the forum. :biggrin:

Back