Yoshikazu Ikeda Mizu Honyaki lines and sharperner

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ahhactive

Reaction score
Hello I realized Y.Ikeda did many lines of Mizu honyaki for different companies, but I'll like to know who is the sharperner for Sakai Hokushin shiro 2 mizu honyaki. Maybe an experience member could help me out identifying this master. Thanks in advance.

Choil shot enclosed
1000065948.jpg

Last edited:
Hello I realized Y.Ikeda did many lines of Mizu honyaki for different companies, but I'll like to know who is the sharperner for Sakai Hokushin shiro 2 mizu honyaki. Maybe an experience member could help me out identifying this master. Thanks in advance.

Choil **** enclosedView attachment 215803
I think it’s best to ask the retailer. If the sharpener is undisclosed, then we can’t say it for sure. What I can say is that the sharpener of Mr. Ikeda’s Honyaki lines is usually Mr. Shotaro Nomura, but I don’t know if it applies for 100% of the knives. Pictures of the knife might help but it’s usually hard to tell with certainty.

I think it’s best to ask the retailer. If the sharpener is undisclosed, then we can’t say it for sure. What I can say is that the sharpener of Mr. Ikeda’s Honyaki lines is usually Mr. Shotaro Nomura, but I don’t know if it applies for 100% of the knives. Pictures of the knife might help but it’s usually hard to tell with certainty.
Ahh got it. Retailer has yet to come back with that information. But based on my research on kkf. There's 3 potential Master. Shotaro Nomura, Ino shinpei and kasahara. So just being really not patient🤣

Merry Christmas!

All good. I have started gravitating to not caring about the names and just going for the knives. But I agree, nice to know with honyaki for sure.
I know you have one for sale awesome price too and that choil.who's the sharperner on yours?

Nomura is a single bevel sharpener

Also is that double bevel knife left handed? or is it the camera angle that makes the right side look a bit flatter and the other with a slight hamaguri

Nomura is a single bevel sharpener

Also is that double bevel knife left handed? or is it the camera angle that makes the right side look a bit flatter and the other with a slight hamaguri
yea that's what i thought at first too, but seeing the tang, there could be a slight centering error from angle. anyway i won't know until the knife arrive in a few days

Alright knife came in today.. what do you guys think?
Do you have some better pictures where we can also see the tang and the backside of the knife? In any case, I've seen quite a few similar Sakai Hokushin white 2 honyaki gyutos forged by Mr. Ikeda and sharpened by Mr. Nomura in the last couple of years, so it could definitely be him but no guarantee. He's mostly ok with being disclosed as sharpener so maybe the retailer can confirm whether it was him or not.

Last edited:
Do you have some better pictures where we can also see the tang and the backside of the knife? In any case, I've seen quite a few similar Sakai Hokushin white 2 honyaki gyutos forged by Mr. Ikeda and sharpened by Mr. Nomura in the last couple of years, so it could definitely be him but no guarantee. He's mostly ok with being disclosed as sharpener so maybe the retailer can confirm whether it was him or not.
Sure. Its still the holidays and they have yet to come back with details. I match the knife with my other knife by Nomura san and the grind seems to be consistent. Definitely not Shinpei san as his is way thinner. Also i think you are right that the convex is on the left side and the right side is flat
1000068067.jpg

1000068066.jpg

1000068071.jpg

Last edited:
Allright the retailer finally came back, he says sharpener is Hideki Ino, from Ino Tadashi cutlery. Ino as in Ino shinpei family?

Back