1 knife April

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Damn, and I thought that after March I could rotate me some pointy ones but no...

Kochi kurouchi damascus 275*56ish

IMG_20230404_194250~2.jpg

Are you rolling with this for the month? That would be quite interesting.

Belated (and lame) 4/1 jest... 🤦🏻

In all seriousness, this just arrived today and it seems like an appropriate one to choose for 1 Knife April. It might actually be exactly what I need to get me over the hurdle of babying it like a collector’s item after yesterday’s announcement!

A98DD2D2-3C07-4273-9E34-5CA28BA283C1.jpeg

Last edited:
Nah, don't give up that easy. You can make exceptions. What did you use to cut it up with. It wasn't a chef's knife, right? I used to use the same CCK small cleaver to cut up Avocado at a place I worked at. Everyone there used cleavers. After a while I said whatever and started busting at all kinds of stuff in small iterations of prep.
I'm not giving up, still going to play the game even though I'm technically disqualified. I used a 180 gyuto, aka my big petty

I just realised...

Sugging only 1 knife in April on #kitchenknifeenablersforum...

This must be an April fools prank!

Sorry, @M1k3, I was a little slow to catch on 😁😉

Belated 4/1 jest... 🤦🏻

In all seriousness, this just arrived today and it seems like an appropriate one to choose for 1 Knife April. It might actually be exactly what I need to get me over the hump of being reticent to use it after yesterday’s announcement!

View attachment 235490
Yeah, I figured you were joking. The kato is much better choice, welcome.

Because of you guys I had to cut bread with my Devin last night. I shudder at the thought that I will have to cut spaghetti squash at some point.
I’m not sure I have the nerves to go through a crusty sourdough loaf with my knife of choice for this game much less spaghetti squash. 😬 Maybe I should have stuck with the bread knife.

But for now, the first meal with my new Kato is a chuka nabe: pork belly, shiitakes, napa cabbage, and onions plus silken tofu, miso, and awase dashi (side note: I like the mason jar and immersion circulator method for dashi). Pretty low stakes stuff to start…

29B5AEB7-A407-4AB3-8456-0C9F525CEDD8.jpegD728E814-E953-492A-A221-65EF95C41F88.jpeg

I have to admit that nothing leapt out at me about the Kato to start. I’m enjoying the spinal chunkiness at the pinch, the nice distal taper, and the gentle profile. I’m getting a bit of a thicker/heavier Gengetsu vibe from the intuitive way that it handles. My expectations were definitely that the knife’s charms would take some time to gradually reveal themselves.

I’ll strop it before the next time I cut with it, and probably put it to the stones before the cutting session after that.

I cut up an avocado today, it was fine as expected, I was just being a lazy baby yesterday. Then buoyed by that experience, I filleted some chicken breast later. That was not so fine, but also it was? I'm glad this little challenge pushed me to try it, but it won't remain a habit after this month

I cut up an avocado today, it was fine as expected, I was just being a lazy baby yesterday. Then buoyed by that experience, I filleted some chicken breast later. That was not so fine, but also it was? I'm glad this little challenge pushed me to try it, but it won't remain a habit after this month
You didn’t like turning a breast into cutlets with the small CCK? What did you feel like you were missing extra length?

You didn’t like turning a breast into cutlets with the small CCK? What did you feel like you were missing extra length?
The stiction of sliding that huge surface area between two sticky surfaces. Plus it probably needs to be sharpened

The stiction of sliding that huge surface area between two sticky surfaces. Plus it probably needs to be sharpened
I can’t remember if I filet chicken with mine. I took my small sugimoto through a chicken breast yesterday and it was a breeze. I’m wondering if sharpening would solve the issue… or perhaps not 🤷🏻‍♂️. I also always felt my cck stainless didn’t excel at food release, rather sticky blade overall. But a very versatile do it all with great elite food separation due to the thinness. I remember breaking down stuff like watermelons with it, very enjoyable.

Last edited:
25BDBC13-C7C0-42A3-BBAD-3B2370BDD0E7.jpeg

This small cleaver is only 190 mm on the edge, yet weighs close to 12 ounces. If you have a gyuto that is 12 oz it is probably pretty substantial. There is a good chance it is not described as nimble or has a fairly heavy handle. My Raquin 330ish mm gyuto was quite nimble weighing I think around 7.5 ounces( going by memory not sure). Yet this little bull dog sugimoto feels quite nimble and mincing garlic by cross hatching is quite enjoyable and natural feeling, no need for a petty.

View attachment 235543
This small cleaver is only 190 mm on the edge, yet weighs close to 12 ounces. If you have a gyuto that is 12 oz it is probably pretty substantial. There is a good chance it is not described as nimble or has a fairly heavy handle. My Raquin 330ish mm gyuto was quite nimble weighing I think around 7.5 ounces( going by memory not sure). Yet this little bull dog sugimoto feels quite nimble and mincing garlic by cross hatching is quite enjoyable and natural feeling, no need for a petty.
How many mm forward from heel is the balance?

How many mm forward from heel is the balance?
It's really not that close to the heel. There is no distal taper in the blade. But the balance does pretty much end up where I would grip it. It's basically on the second O from the heel, I measured it at 60 mm from heel. To compare quickly to a couple others my Felipe, also quite nimble, which is 203 mm on the edge balances about 66 mm from the heel. The CCK 1103, which most would describe as a nimble cleaver balances at about 75 mm from the heel.

Attachments

• 20230405_025306.mp4
    4.1 MB
It's really not that close to the heel. There is no distal taper in the blade. But the balance does pretty much end up where I would grip it. It's basically on the second O from the heel, I measured it at 60 mm from heel. To compare quickly to a couple others my Felipe, also quite nimble, which is 203 mm on the edge balances about 66 mm from the heel. The CCK 1103, which most would describe as a nimble cleaver balances at about 75 mm from the heel.
60mm forward on a cleaver is perfect. When rehandling mine, that's the balance point I usually aim for.

60mm forward on a cleaver is perfect. When rehandling mine, that's the balance point I usually aim for.
Nice, it looks like you'vedone the research or testing. I guess in general you want it to balance where your gripping it. I guess if I get anything rehandled maybe I'll apply your theory.

Back