2020's been rough.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrHiggins

Reaction score
I could handle covid. I could even handle it when my old dog Higgins died. But now I have to deal with my Gesshin 6000 cracking in half. It's all too much! 😝
20201212_135627.jpg

Losing the dog (who's my avatar and was my constant companion for 15 years) was heart wrenching.
I feel for you. The middle guy (Bear) in my avatar is going on 16 and and really slowing down. (Neeko(14) and Kanika(10) died 6 years ago) And I've been lucky to have been able to take them to work with me every day, so constant companions for me as well. I'm not looking forward to that upcoming day.

I don't think the stone can be fixed. The break (crack) was accompanied by some crumbling, so there are pieces missing.

As for the dog, we put him down in August. As incredible luck would have it, I was invited to select a dog from a litter of border collies that were born in July. We picked up Finnegan in September. He's 5 months old now and is already turning out to be something special.
20201206_120935~4.jpg
20201202_155346~3.jpg
20201108_121902.jpg
20201101_132653_exported_5718_1604806988576~2.jpg

Thank you. I guess I'm fortunate that I've been preparing for this day for at least 6 months now. And, as they say, this isn't my first rodeo.
But thank you for the thoughts.
Stay safe everyone.

Thank you. I guess I'm fortunate that I've been preparing for this day for at least 6 months now. And, as they say, this isn't my first rodeo.
But thank you for the thoughts.
Stay safe everyone.

Yeah, my boy Higgins deteriorated over about 8 months. He developed degenerative myelopathy, so his back legs slowly began to become paralyzed. On the one hand, we knew that one day we'd have to put him down. Choosing that day once it arrived was rough. Good luck to you, my man, and keep focusing on all those great memories you guys shared together!

Sorry to hear about the dog (and stone) losses :(

It sucks once the day is really close in these processes, you keep telling yourself it'll still be a while away. And then 'all of a sudden' you no longer can...

2020 can eat a bag of dicks.

I lent my HSC3 to a friend who said she had chipped it a little. No prob, I said. When I got it back, I noticed the chip was just the beginning of a crack.

My plan is just to ignore the crack and hope it doesn't get worse. Fingers crossed 🤞🤞🤞.

20201226_170640.jpg

20201226_170532.jpg

2020 really hasn't been your year. I do hope Finnegan has proved to be a good pick and is not one of the extremely OCD or hyperactive border collies. I have a strong preference for herding breeds but high intelligence can be as much a curse as a blessing.

I'm curious as to what folks who know that sort of thing would say about it. Without guidance I would be inclined to grind and get ahead of the crack. @HSC /// Knives

That would be my impulse as well. I suppose if you had access to a drill press and the right tiny bit you could drill a small hole at the apex of the crack to diffuse the stress riser but that is probably higher risk.

2020 can eat a bag of dicks.

I lent my HSC3 to a friend who said she had chipped it a little. No prob, I said. When I got it back, I noticed the chip was just the beginning of a crack.

My plan is just to ignore the crack and hope it doesn't get worse. Fingers crossed 🤞🤞🤞.

View attachment 107696

View attachment 107697
You can send it to me and I’ll reprofile and regrind it. It will be less tall and a little shorter. I think it would be better to deal with it now.
Did the friend say what happened?

Thanks, all. First off, I want to say that this crack is no fault of the knife (Harbeer, I friggin love this thing and the heat treat is awesome). This is pure user error (she tried to hack through a chicken back. Repeatedly). I need to ruminate on whether I should regrind it or not - Harbeer, I'll email you to talk.

Second, thanks for the well wishes regarding my old dog. He was truly something special and was my best friend. It's not the same without him. Thanks for all the great times, Higgins. I miss you, buddy. 😔

Finnegan (the new border collie) is turning out to be great. He's from working stock out of Ireland, so is not one of those OCD/neurotic types. He's smart as a whip and very active, but we're channeling it well so far.

Let's all hope 2021 is WAY better than 2020!!!

20201218_122317~2.jpg
IMG_6946.jpg

Last edited:
Back