2023 Bucket List

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1. Actually reduce the number of refurbs in my project queue
2. Step up above completely incompetent at polishing
3. Make (a) saya(s)
4. Make a handle for the axe head I picked up for refurb
5. Complete turning the bench grinder into a belt grinder
6. Get chisels and kannas into working order

Last edited:
I have an idea for a piece with some custom wootz, grinding by markin and finishing by karys. Still need to start laying ground for it because it’d be a lot of mail tag and communication if all parties are even interested in the idea.

Hopefully the custom catcheside will be finished up early in 2023.

Landing a custom slot for kamon would be great 🙏 Gignatokus have stirred hungers that need satiated.

I may pick up a few more buckels knives. They are frankly the most used knife in my kitchen.

Other then that I’ll probably be getting around to selling some knives and shrinking the collection a little.

Want to venture into the western realm

Ideally would love a Nine, Kipp and a Yanick

But would need to purge some of what I have to make it reasonable

First off, selling a bunch of stuff and narrowing it down to the ones I truly love. It's a WIP but I'm getting there.

Then, the stuff that's kind of on order but isn't ready yet (Tanaka Massdrop, Shihan A2, Markin 52100, Isamitsu)

Then, my goal is to limit myself to grail-worthy stuff. Unlikely to get more than one, but it's a good way to curb my knife buying habits. (Nine and Yanick and Bazes really, maybe Milan, maybe that Myojin Denka)

Last edited:
Wishlist for the 2023 would be:
1. Use more jnats in my collection and keep all of my knives pretty sharp.
2. Learn how to polish knives and give them a nice Kasumi finish
3. Get either Shigefusa Kitaeji or Toyama Dama Yanagibas (or both)
4. Sell two knives
5. DO NOT BUY MORE JNATS! Use what I have!

4. Sell two knives
You seem to misunderstand the cycle...
  1. buy knife
  2. buy new stone because you think it is the best match for above knife
  3. see another knife you think will work well with the stones you have, buy that knife
  4. buy new stone because you think it is the best match for above knife
  5. repeat 2-4 on infinite loop until you live in a house made of hardened steel and natural stones

Not looking for anything new in 2023 beyond items already ordered (240 Togashi B2 gyuto and 285mm Tanaka B1 suji). If a Massdrop Tanaka comes available, though, I won't blink twice...

Otherwise, I'm with @esoo -- I want to spend serious time learning the nuances of my knives and stones, and gaining technique when it comes to single bevel sharpening/compound beveling and thinning/polishing.

For 2023 I got a couple things that I've been thinking of doing for quite some time. Hope to accomplish at least 4 of them with the 2 top ones a priority.

- sell knives I don't use (in order to get more of the below 😀)
- 210 suji for work (this one I can hopefully combine with a new western maker)
- keep trying new western makers with a special eye on HSC, Markin, SzyMoc and Birgersson but also looking at newer makers
- high end project knife (TF Mab or Moritaka)
- new Japanese maker (Takada/Mazaki/Nakagawa/Tetsujin)
- buy my first JNat because 1 addiction hobby isn't enough

Other than that keep trying to get better at sharpening/polishing/thinning and keep an eye on BST for the usual suspects.

For 2023 I got a couple things that I've been thinking of doing for quite some time. Hope to accomplish at least 4 of them with the 2 top ones a priority.

- sell knives I don't use (in order to get more of the below 😀)
- 210 suji for work (this one I can hopefully combine with a new western maker)
- keep trying new western makers with a special eye on HSC, Markin, SzyMoc and Birgersson but also looking at newer makers
- high end project knife (TF Mab or Moritaka)
- new Japanese maker (Takada/Mazaki/Nakagawa/Tetsujin)
- buy my first JNat because 1 addiction hobby isn't enough

Other than that keep trying to get better at sharpening/polishing/thinning and keep an eye on BST for the usual suspects.

@MSicardCutlery makes a lot of suji's. :)

@MSicardCutlery makes a lot of suji's. :)
I've had my eye on him for some time both here and on Instagram and i'm very much interested. But the last time I ordered from the US to the Netherlands I got almost as many extra fees from customs etc. as the cost of the knife I bought.

So a bit on the fence for anything from the US at the moment unfortunately

4. Sell two knives
A bit of an update. I have to admit that I have totally failed! Well, perhaps not totally, but partially failed. I have used a 10% off currently at JNS and ordered the Toyama Data Yanagiba in 300mm size. Also, totally failed point 5 on my list too :rolleyes:

Back