20cm sauce pan/ cooking pot recommendation

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If only they made that 28 cm saucier with a stick handle... it'd be the perfect do it all pan.
They actually do, but only in the Apollo seriesz so neither flared nor encapsulated rim.
Based on today's cook, the 28cm dual loop handle saucier is pretty pretty useful. Good capacity, the sidewall curve is what you'd hope for, and it's easy to imagine this marketed as an "essential" or "everyday" pan if it had a stick handle and a helper handle.

Last edited:
I can't say I ever missed a helper handle on my large sauciers. I'd probably just get annoyed about it screwing up the balance and getting in the way for storage (which it kinda does on the 28 cm proline - I really wished they made one without the helper handle since I never use it anyway).
Although I do wish the handles were a bit more substantial in size; they look nice but from a practical perspective the handles are not that great... not enough to solidly hold on to IMO and a bit too smooth so you have to put more pressure to stop it from rotating when you're pouring.

I'd never go double loop. It makes it almost impossible to manipulate a pan one-handed, so good luck pouring stuff straight from the pan, and have fun always using a spatula to stir. IMO the only argument for double loop is if you want to fit it into an oven and the handle would make it too large.

In the end I decided to just roll with my saucier for now lol, still more than enough for my need
Are you using the all-clad 2qt saucier? As a suggestion for a saucier with more flat spot on the bottom the discontinued all-clad 3qt saucier is nice if you can find one. It has a 9” lid so it was discontinued because people only want 2 lids: 8” and 10” apparently.

I have all-clad 1, 2, 3qt sauciers and the 3qt is a go-to for stovetop use for many moderate sized tasks when I want a lid like sautéing vegetables.

MetroKitchen has a matrix of All-Clad lids and the pots they fit. The matrix is useful because the number of lids with 1/2" differences in diameter is ridiculous.

Seriously. They list 6", 7", 8", 9.5", 10", 10.5", 12", 12.5", 13". And I swear that the 4.5qt soup pot had a different size entirely that isn't listed there. Maybe it was 9" like the 3qt saucier.

And then some lids only fit straight rimmed pots, and some are for flared rims, and...it's a total mess.

I'm not one of those "Europe does everything so much better than the US" people, but having standardized rim diameters is kind of a no brainer.

https://metrokitchen.com/all-clad-lid-guide

Exactly what's in my cabinet! 20 and 24 sauciers, 24, 28 and 32 frying pans.

My AC 4.5qt soup pot uses an 8” lid. The 3qt AC saucier uses a 9.5” lid so it may be the only euro 24mm product all-clad made. I find pots and sauciers in that 24cm size range useful for many tasks.

Last edited:
I'd never go double loop. It makes it almost impossible to manipulate a pan one-handed, so good luck pouring stuff straight from the pan, and have fun always using a spatula to stir. IMO the only argument for double loop is if you want to fit it into an oven and the handle would make it too large.
I'm a frequent stirrer, occasional shaker, and infrequent tosser (though some may disagree there), so double loop can work for me in many circumstances.

Depends on your storage solution really. I never found it a problem...then again I'm someone who has a massive open cabinet with individual shelves for all my pans. Admittedly a luxury... but a really convenient one at that.

Also I never understood why pans are normally denoted in either diameter OR volume. Just give us both in the damn title so we have all the bases covered.

Are you using the all-clad 2qt saucier? As a suggestion for a saucier with more flat spot on the bottom the discontinued all-clad 3qt saucier is nice if you can find one. It has a 9” lid so it was discontinued because people only want 2 lids: 8” and 10” apparently.

I have all-clad 1, 2, 3qt sauciers and the 3qt is a go-to for stovetop use for many moderate sized tasks when I want a lid like sautéing vegetables.
I have the 2.5 qt from Crate and Barrel, great pan

I wish I could find one of those Fissler serving pans without the waffle surface.

Kind unrelated question... Is this Serving pan/servierpfanne thing only in Germany? I've seen different ones made by German makers, but all other European makers don't make them, kind similar to a brasier
https://www.knivesandtools.com/en/p...llection-084-388-28-100-serving-pan-28-cm.htm
https://www.knivesandtools.com/en/pt/-wmf-gourmet-plus-0726286031-serving-pan-28-cm.htm
Demeyere makes something similar under the 'Multifunction' line I think it's basically just a frying pan with 2 loop handles, main perk is ability to throw it in just about any oven.
I think even Ikea has a stainless one. De buyer has something similar in carbon steel referred to as a paella pan, but they might have it in other lines too.
Both Staub and Le Creuset make enamelled cast iron braisiers. I have a 28 cm one from Staub and quite like it.
So in general it's not all that uncommon.

It’s interesting to me that most of those examples (Fissler serving pan, Demeyere Multifunction, Staub and LeCreuset) are shallow braisers with sloped sides vs deeper rondeau with straight sides.

I can think of some uses for which the shallower sloped shape is better, but the rondeau shape seems more versatile.

In the US I think they are typically called braiser, paella, or gratin pans. Lots of companies make them. The comments about it being a frying pan with two loops are my thoughts as well. I’d think about one in 32cm/13” size or anything else heavy. I don’t own any sauté pans with long handles, I use rondeau with two loop handles. Similar concept.

Back