• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTB 210 Wa Gyuto ~$125 or less for employee gifts (Maryland)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strumke

Reaction score
Looking for 2 gifts for employees. ~210 Wa Gyuto in "presentable as a gift" condition. I'd like to keep it below $125 each.

The main goal is a high performance blade, so open to carbon or stainless and definitely prefer a wa handle and flexible on most aspects.

For reference, I was looking at the stainless JKI Gesshin as an option, but they are out of stock. Shipping would be to Maryland.

I like the Suisin Western a lot and have gifted a couple. The Misono Moly from Korin is also a nice offering in that price range.

The ones listed above come from medium size factories and they are solid knives for a good price. For gifts, especially for first time jknife users, I think a stainless gyuto or santoku is the way to go. I would lean towards a Tojiro DP or Tsunehisa Ginsan for a basic knife with good performance, but would shop around for a sale if looking for a fancier blade. You often get the same knife sold under different names.

Reputable sites like ChefKnivest0g0, Korin, MTC Kitchen, District Cutlery, Bernal, JapaneseChefKnives or JapaneseKnifeImports will all offer similar quality knives under a house name. If you have a local shop, going inside and checking them out is the way to go - the folks at District Cutlery are really nice.

Tojiro DP is an old go-to. About $100 at Cutlery and More, and others usually have it as well.

You still around DC?
Thanks for the Tojiro suggestion!

I am still in the area but I defected to MD. I've been happy with my knives so I have not been active much but I do love to peruse the BST page periodically. If there is another meetup now that we're past 2020, I'd be up for it!

Back