240 yanagi, anyone?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been thinking about ordering a 240 yanagi from Heiji or Watanabe and was wondering if it's too short.

I'd use this at home for crudo, tartare, carpaccio, etc, always starting from pre-portioned fish that I get from my supplier (1lb tuna loin, even smaller portions for other fish like 0.5lbs).

I've tried a 300 yanagi and felt it was way too big. For meat, I have a 270 suji but always end up grabbing a 240 or even 220 (also usually always dealing with smaller cuts like pork tenderloin).

Anyone else has a 240 yanagi and find it useful? Or should I go with a 270?

I have a 240 and a 300 yanagi. The 300 is near 285 (Masamoto). I like both. I think I use them same amount of time but for different tasks. If I only could have one, it must be the 300. I’m a home user, and the yanagis don’t get heavy use.

Depends on the size of the saku/filet you're cutting and how sharp you keep them. Since the length is what allows you to not use too much force, if you have a small filet or saku, you don't need as long of a knife.

Similarly, one of the other reasons that longer knives got popular with professionals is that you have more wiggle room as the knife gets duller during your shift.

In essence: a shorter yanagiba is fine if you have small fish portions, you're not slicing much, or you keep exceedingly good maintenance. I know a few chefs you have used 240 just fine (though they were in some very tight spaces).

I’ve had a 240 now for about the last four years and just upgraded to a 270. I find the 270 for me to be the perfect size so I’m pretty stoked!

Back