240mm Sujihiki

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robenco15

Reaction score
Looking for a smaller sujihiki to go with my 300mm.

I like a wide shinogi (or is it bevel?) like my Kagekiyo. Carbon steel or stainless steel is fine. Kinda like a good blue streak, but after slicing I tend to go eat, so maybe SS is the way to go. Looking to spend less than $300. Wa handle preferred. Maybe even an exposed machi.

Was looking at the Akifusa on epicureanedge. Don’t know a lot about it.

Thanks for any insights!

It's made by the same company that supplies the Akifusa, basically the same knife but to Geshin's specifications, I believe the Kagero's F+F is a bit better, I've heard that said anyway, and Jon is known for being meticulous.

Sorry for interrupting the OP.
Are the kochi sujihiki very thin knife or is it more like a workhorse type?
I am also looking for a 240mm suji with abit of workhorse type.

Jon told me the Kochi is not a thin knife. Not super thick, but definitely not on the thin side. Based on what he told me it sounds like it could be classified as a workhorse knife. I wasn’t looking at the Kochi with that idea in mind, but I can see it fitting that bill. I don’t think of sujihiki as a workhorse style blade, but that’s me.

My 240 suji is a very laser-ish Wa Tadasuna. It does well slicing proteins before plating. Use it a lot at home. It's probably quite similar to the Gesshin Ginga suji or a Suisin IH. For bigger / heavier tasks I go to one of the 270s.

Glad to hear it. I agree about the JKI touch. Really enjoy ordering from Jon when I can.

I've never thought about changing the edge based on product. I'm a home cook so I can see someone who is on the line all day taking care to do that. That's interesting!

Yeah I'm a home cook too. I mentioned to Josh it wasn't cutting how I expected (back when I was very new to knives). He is a pro butcher, mentioned this tip, and it's worked well ever since. I think he goes as low as a 400 edge of I recall. I don't have a 400 stone so I go 2k. Works better, longer than 6k.

For the same reason, hair shaving vids aren't always the best judge of kitchen performance. Match the edge to the product.

Edit : I have the...can't remember what he calls it, but V2 steel. I think he carries Kochi with three different steels, so ask what he might suggest if you go that route.

Last edited:
Yeah I'm a home cook too. I mentioned to Josh it wasn't cutting how I expected (back when I was very new to knives). He is a pro butcher, mentioned this tip, and it's worked well ever since. I think he goes as low as a 400 edge of I recall. I don't have a 400 stone so I go 2k. Works better, longer than 6k.

For the same reason, hair shaving vids aren't always the best judge of kitchen performance. Match the edge to the product.

Edit : I have the...can't remember what he calls it, but V2 steel. I think he carries Kochi with three different steels, so ask what he might suggest if you go that route.

The only one available is the one that he doesn’t say what the steel is. That’s fine with me though.

Latest posts

Back