A Question About Peanut Butter

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peanut Butter Is...

• Basically like butter, certainly don't need both.

• Nothing like butter, nominative determinism doesn't apply to spreads.

Results are only viewable after voting.

cotedupy

Reaction score
So a while back I was shocked to learn that there are significant number of people out there, who if making a piece of toast with peanut butter... do not butter the toast first.

They regard peanut butter as some kind of butter substitute, that can happily be eaten on an otherwise dry piece of toast, just because it's called 'peanut butter'. What joyless breakfast times these people must endure!

So I was wondering: What say you in the Land of the Free™? I imagine you invented peanut butter, surely you know better than this nonsense...

Last edited:
Butter on bread, peanut butter on celery. Margarine is not food.

Granting that Americans often put peanut butter on bread, I've never heard of having that for breakfast. It is solidly in the lunch category.

Many Americans grew up on peanut butter and jelly sandwiches on Wonder Bread, no butter. It's not gourmet food, but the whole does somehow transcend its parts, below about age 11.

Butter on bread, peanut butter on celery. Margarine is not food.

Granting that Americans often put peanut butter on bread, I've never heard of having that for breakfast. It is solidly in the lunch category.

Many Americans grew up on peanut butter and jelly sandwiches on Wonder Bread, no butter. It's not gourmet food, but the whole does somehow transcend its parts, below about age 11.
One of my favorite breakfasts growing up was a peanut butter and jelly sandwich with Eggo waffles as the bread.

You're kidding me? This must be a joke, surely?!?

One of the most popular sandwiches in the world is literally called: 'Ham Butter'. And they've managed to find someone who's completely unable to understand the concept...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jambon-beurre

Screenshot 2024-03-20 023325.jpg

One of my favorite breakfasts growing up was a peanut butter and jelly sandwich with Eggo waffles as the bread.
We didn't serve a PBJ, but this super fussy high maintenance table insisted it's the only thing their child would eat. Chef makes it on multi-grain bread, blackcurrant jam, ground peanuts in the robo, and a healthy spread of butter on each slice.

Kid had a full frickin meltdown. It was spectacular.

Edit - Sorry for the quote. On mobile with fat fingers.

Americans don’t put butter on most sandwiches. Mayo and mustard are the standard spreads.
The rest of the world seems to butter their sandwiches including everything from bahn mi on the streets of Saigon to egg salad in a Japanese convenience store.

Last edited:
You're kidding me? This must be a joke, surely?!?

One of the most popular sandwiches in the world is literally called: 'Ham Butter'. And they've managed to find someone who's completely unable to understand the concept...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jambon-beurre

View attachment 309409
Can confirm, butter is the last thing an American would think to put on a sandwich unless it was on the outside of a grilled cheese (aka cheese toastie).

You guys put butter and cucumbers on bread and call it a sandwich. Talk about weird.

Peanut butter smells like the stuff you dig out from under a toe nail. Nasty. Plus they a lot of the times contain aflatoxins from mold that is carcinogenic.

Spot on, this.

Butter with peanut butter usage has a linear relationship with the heat applied.

Now ^this^ is an interesting, and I think very perceptive, theory.

A strong positive correlation between temperature, and amount of (real) butter required, is something that I'm sure many experienced peanut butter aficionados would recognise.

Back