A Yoshiaki Fujiwara (Kato) Collection

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

khashy

Reaction score
Happy new year!
Posted this on my IG and wanted to share here too.
I have been mesmerised by the master’s work from the beginning of my kitchen knife journey all those years ago and feel privileged to have been able to handle these blades.

Link to IG post

Original photo without filters:

9BB9D552-4D03-4286-9B9A-1C358CD6E80B.jpeg

Looks like western handled katos are more rare. . . definitely would like to see them up close in person!

Thanks everyone and apologies for the horrible photo - by the time I had finished taking the knives out, I had run out of daylight and it’s impossible to take a decent photo with spot lights.
I’ll try to take an updated photo with proper lighting if I ever get the house free of a toddler for long enough!

Thanks everyone and apologies for the horrible photo - by the time I had finished taking the knives out, I had run out of daylight and it’s impossible to take a decent photo with spot lights.
I’ll try to take an updated photo with proper lighting if I ever get the house free of a toddler for long enough!
Toddler in the house? Don't worry, happy to take one for the team and babysit your Kato's at this difficult time.

Impressive collection! Any chance for some individual portraits, especially of the more uncommon knives?

The gigantic deba is made by Kato-san’s uncle. Here it is:

Deba

I don’t have photos of all the dammys at hand, but here’s what I could dig up that’s got some clarity.

Here are the 210s (dammy and Kikuryu):
2C80AE22-2BC5-4BE2-877E-415A416727E4.jpeg

Here are some of the 240s:

81514212-BFD4-49E7-9FE2-870AD55997A3.jpeg

And yes, I know I’m the king of terrible photography 🤦🏻‍♂️

The blade on the top row 4th from the right with no handle is the one that I’m curious about.
All Hail the Kato King!

The gigantic deba is made by Kato-san’s uncle. Here it is:

Deba

Interesting... That is the odd duck of the collection.

Yes Kato-san makes yanagiba (and beautiful ones at that).... but he generally doesnt make single bevels. At least not that I am aware of 🤷‍♂️.... no usuba, deba, kiritsuke/mukimono or unagisaki...

Last edited:
The blade on the top row 4th from the right with no handle is the one that I’m curious about.
All Hail the Kato King!

That’s a tall petty/very short gyuto. Handle is off because it needs some work. Good eye!

Was wondering which one in your collection is the oldest and how old it is @khashy .
Afaik kato started knifemaking in the late 70's but Im guessing most around here would be from the last 10 years i.e. since jns had been carrying them.?

Back