All Rectangle March?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For me, that would be close to the All Parer April as the only American knife I have is a Dave Martell Petty... Or do you mean we should buy American made knives just for this?

But ... Swedish September is something I can look forward to. :)

Which would you think?
👇👇👇
filthy. disgusting. enablers.

All Americas April

And for clarity, by Americas, I mean the continents, not just USA.
What if you have a knife that was made in North America by a citizen, but, said person now lives in a European country, bought a house there and applying for residency. And I'm assuming eventually citizenship.

What if you have a knife that was made in North America by a citizen, but, said person now lives in a European country, bought a house there and applying for residency. And I'm assuming eventually citizenship.

You can use it until he becomes a French citizen.

APPROVED.

I personally would judge as of time of production.

All Americas April means ZKramers and an Msicard for me.

Edit: Also have a Chinese-made Nexus BD1N chef knife. Does that count? It's American steel. :p

ZKramers are a tough call but I would deny. Sure Kramer is American, but the blade is made in Seki. And I'm pro-ZKramer - my 10" Carbon is one that is never leaving my rack.

ZKramers are a tough call but I would deny. Sure Kramer is American, but the blade is made in Seki. And I'm pro-ZKramer - my 10" Carbon is one that is never leaving my rack.
But but but...52100 is American steel!

Edit: Still have the Msicard so I'll survive.

I personally would judge as of time of production.
Sweet! I'll have to get me a French knife when he becomes a citizen.

It'll be like a snapshot of his history.

1. American made
2. American made but delivered on his way out of America (literally).
3. French made.

I got a good one. All in one April. Pick one gyuto, cleaver whatever you like and pretty much use it exclusively except for small exceptions.

American April, eh? Well, let's see.

Last time I signed up for one of these, I got Covid. Not saying it's cause and effect, but also not saying it's not.

My American knife selection consists of an abandoned Dexter-Russell Chinese cleaver, and two differently-shaped Dexter-Russell boning knives with plastic handles. Plus a couple of folding pocketknives.

I think I'm going to skip this one.

Obviously, tomorrow is the official last day of All Rectangle March, but it sounds like I'm having plans made for me...er...I'm gonna be busy so wanted to share some thoughts.

1. For a silly, toss-it-out-there idea, I'm super excited at how much attention this got! Not only with posts in this thread but sprinkled throughout KKF and even several references on Instagram. We even had some heavyweight makers engaging. Very cool all, thank you! Whether you made it the whole month or just gave it a try for a short time, thanks for participating.

2. Cleavers. As documented, this month fueled my first foray into cleavers and I'm far from disappointed. I now have first hand respect for these knives and totally get it. I bought two entry-level options and while admittedly not the ideal specs that many recommend, they both gave a great insight into the design. My thoughts on these knives is, again, I get it. I don't just get the allure of the design but can feel why different sizes and grinds would be appealing. It's soooooo different from gyuto's, santoku's, etc. that it feels quite foreign at first but in short order, my fingers were laying along that blade and putting in work. At mid-month, despite my acknowledgment of the design, I wasn't sure I was going to pursue these but I kept using them and I'm far from ready to give them up. I've got some other knives coming in, but I will keep playing with these.

3. At no time, in my home cooking scenario, did I feel under-knifed. I used my 180 and 165 nakiri's a lot and they did just fine in all tasks. Since I kicked off this crazy idea, I did my best to stick to rectangles for everything. Yeah, I had to adjust my style a little, but not much as most of my work is push cutting anyway and the rocking work is typically smaller stuff like garlic and herbs so I didn't really feel much of a compromise. Yeah, I missed a small knife on breaking down broccoli into florets and the wide blades weren't the best for slicing raw chicken breasts into thin flanks, but really no big deal. For my needs, I could absolutely substitute a nakiri for a gyuto and be perfectly functional. A nakiri and a suji would work just fine. I may have personal preferences but just talking functionality.

4. I like to rotate knives. I like to mess with what I have and test them out or just get a hankering to grab something different so to be restricted was challenging. A month is a long time!

5. I think the only thing I failed on was @ch_br's challenge to only buy rectangles for the month. I accepted the challenge but alas, technically failed. I'd commissioned a nakiri with @MSicardCutlery so I was super confident in adhering to the commitment. But, that plan was to use some wood I would send him and that got all messed up through USPS and then he posted this semi-custom, and well, I have a gyuto coming. Now, I ordered it in March but it won't be here until April so ya know, kind of a pass. :)

Anyway, thanks everyone! I genuinely had fun. I enjoyed everyone's contributions and involvement! Let's do it again next year.

So, what about you all? Any experiences or thoughts to share?

Last edited:
4. I like to rotate knives. I like to mess with what I have and test them out or just get a hankering to grab something different so to be restricted was challenging. A month is a long time!
Not being able to use 83% of my knives really did simplify prep. I normally stare at the rack for a while trying to figure out which knife I want and still end up doing a side by side comparison on 2+ of them while cutting. It was kinda nice to just grab a rectangle and go. But half the fun of this silly hobby is agonizing over the smallest difference in cutting feel between blades sooo I'm happy to have the full stock available again.

I do think I'm going to focus more on only using one knife for everything for a week at a time or something of that nature. I enjoyed having to stick with something and dial it in.

I threw 2 rectangles on my rack and only used one: my wat nakiri. It works great for general vegetable prep. The wok shop cleaver is going back in the drawer, I never used it all month. I like it for some tasks but none came up this month. It might be fun to use it exclusively for a while, but another time or maybe another cleaver.

All Americas April

And for clarity, by Americas, I mean the continents, not just USA.
Funnily I have a knife coming would meet the requirements for both this month and next… From Cruzeiro Facas in Brazil

4b3b7c03-0e4f-4520-bd53-59d2e2522ed8.jpeg

So, a normal day for me? I changed my mind, I'm in!
Yeah, this should be right down your alley, although I figured you still switched gyutos on different days. But we need to get this one going. I think it would be a good one and quite interesting. Some people really had to stretch themselves for ARM being that maybe they only had a couple of rectangles and maybe they weren’t even there best knives, even perhaps quite low on their totem pole. It would be interesting to see what people would pick.

Yeah, this should be right down your alley, although I figured you still switched gyutos on different days. But we need to get this one going. I think it would be a good one and quite interesting. Some people really had to stretch themselves for ARM being that maybe they only had a couple of rectangles and maybe they weren’t even there best knives, even perhaps quite low on their totem pole. It would be interesting to see what people would pick.
I do switch on different days.

Because I own more than 1 Gyuto.*

*Who only owns 1 Gyuto? Are you even trying to Gyuto? 🧐

Back