And another thing about Globals...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cotedupy

Reaction score
Here is a link to one of my better posts on the forums:

https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/...and-did-you-absolutely-hate.55352/post-843381

Now on the one hand that's simply a particularly successful example of the kind of caustic and facetious nonsense that I like to pass off as 'humour'*. But on the other hand, it's also true.

---

A couple of months back I noted to my esteemed colleague @birdsfan that my professional life this year had been mercifully free of people bringing in sets of Globals to be marginally ameliorated, or 'sharpened' as you would call it for other knives. So (of course!) since then I've endured an unrelenting onslaught of the damn things, and I've noticed something else about them, which might even be most annoying of all...

Globals aren't even bad.**

They're actually not consistent enough to be able to make any kind of generalisation about. You would have thought that a large multinational, multi-million dollar company would at least have the good grace to make a product that was reliably one thing or the other. But the steel is just all over the place - it's a complete lottery. I've finished customers' knives at anything from 400 up to 5k depending on how they're reacting to stones.

IME your best bet seems to be the kinda standard 9"ish gyuto, which tend to be fairly acceptable if you can ignore the other defects to do with handle &c., and remake the bevel/edge a bit. But even then, just like a nasty-but-inexplicably-expensive box of chocolates, you can never be quite sure of what you're gonna get.

Here's a particularly egregious example of a gyuto and bunka that belonged to one unfortunate person. Whatever I did and whatever stones I put these two knives on, the same thing happened where long, massive 'burrs' would form almost instantly. I pulled them off in my hands a few times and tried again, using a different grit or angle, but no dice. The steel was very obviously faulty, I couldn't get them even remotely close to forming a normal, acceptable knife edge.

IMG-7555.JPG

IMG-7557.JPG

IMG-7554.JPG

Admittedly that is an extreme example. But Global steel runs the full gamut; from that, through to low quality stainless that doesn't really form burrs, to middling quality that kinda does but is then impossible to get rid of them properly, all the way up to - on occasion - something that's fairly acceptable and takes a nice edge.

And frankly, it's f***ing infuriating.

---

* Yes, I am fully aware that this post is just more of the same, but allow me my invective. And who knows; maybe one day someone searching about whether they should be buying Globals will come across this thread, and dodge a poorly-designed, terribly-executed, unjustifiably-smug, sand-filled bullet.

** Here is possibly the best put-down of all time.

Last edited:
Next time people argue that large factory with advanced equipment can turn out more consistent heat treatment im gonna send them here, seriously tho Global is not even the worst offender here.

There are many Global fake`s out there. I liked mine and they are still good knives.

I am pretty sure that more Global knives used in michelin stared kitchens then any other japanese brand.

SirCutALot

The first knife I bought was an 8” global chef. Still have it. Still use it as a beater. I have no issues with it. It’s not great, but it sharpens up just fine and will hold an edge better than the victorinox stuff. That edge falling off is 🫠. It looks like the steel is just peeling off like dry paint. Dayum.

Last edited:
There are many Global fake`s out there. I liked mine and they are still good knives.

I am pretty sure that more Global knives used in michelin stared kitchens then any other japanese brand.

SirCutALot
I bought 4 of various sizes, 26 or so years ago. They still get used everyday by the family, have had plenty of trips in the dishwasher, dropped on the floor by the kids, chucked in the steel sink by the misses.. the list of abuse goes on; but they still work.

Here then, in the interest of balance and fairness I suppose, is the flip side. A couple of days ago someone brought these knives in, and when I first saw them I wanted to shoot her.

IMG-8501.jpg

It was like she'd gone out of her way to collect all of the most annoying to sharpen knives in the world, and then topped it off with a pair of bloody kitchen scissors.

But you know what... they were almost all a doddle. She'd looked after them properly, and it was good steel that took nice edges well and easily. Yes - even the silly little hook-shaped parer, even the long floppy slicing knife. If all Globals and their owners were like this, I would have no quarrel with them whatsoever.

The only slight issue was the yanagiba, which I think was a tad ambitious for the brand. I was amazed when I first put it on a stone to see that whoever had sharpened it previously had gone to the effort of totally flattening the main bevel and uraoshi so that it could be sharpened just like a real yanagiba. Alas that endeavour had proven an exercise of near-Sisphyean futility. Because: does even the better end of Global steel hold an edge at yanagi type total bevel angles? Does it f***.

This is one the unfortunate things about Globals, in that they come quite fat BTE, with high sharpening angles. But for a good reason; they don't take to being thinned very well, the steel loses integrity unless it's quite thick. And you end up with edges that look like microchippy, crumbly, ragged-burry crap.

IMG-8502 (1).jpg

The yanagi just required some fairly heavy microbevelling to clean it up, so no harm done really. And overall a perfectly acceptable set of knives, even if they were all the stupidest shapes.

Last edited:

Ah interesting. Sounds like fake Globals are the way to go then, probably more reliable I imagine.

;)

The first knife I bought was an 8” global chef. Still have it. Still use it as a beater. I have no issues with it. It’s not great, but it sharpens up just fine and will hold an edge better than the victorinox stuff. That edge falling off is 🫠. It looks like the steel is just peeling off like dry paint. Dayum.

Yeah the gyuto, which I think go from about 8"-11"(?), are usually to be fairly alright ime, that one in my post is the only one I can remember having really significant issues with. Decent profiles too, whereas a lot of other Globals just seem to be wilfully silly interpretations of the brief.

I love "not even wrong". Reminds me of Hitchens Razor.
"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence."

Ha! As I was writing that I actually thought to myself: 'Ah, I know who'll enjoy this.'

And thank you - I had not come across Hitchen's Razor before, only Mr. Occam's parsimonious example.

Ah interesting. Sounds like fake Globals are the way to go then, probably more reliable I imagine.

;)
I think you know how i meant it ;) . The real globals are not hard to sharpen, if i compare to a Shirogami Steel ok every steel is hard to sharpen, but it is easy even with cheap stones.

There are for sure steels that are not nice to sharpen/deburr, and getting sharpness like a Shirogami Yanagiba is not often easy but managable with most steels. I have much more trouble with MC390 and this kind of stuff, but also doable.

SirCutALot

I think you know how i meant it ;) . The real globals are not hard to sharpen, if i compare to a Shirogami Steel ok every steel is hard to sharpen, but it is easy even with cheap stones.

There are for sure steels that are not nice to sharpen/deburr, and getting sharpness like a Shirogami Yanagiba is not often easy but managable with most steels. I have much more trouble with MC390 and this kind of stuff, but also doable.

SirCutALot

Haha, yep - I was only joking! ;)

There is significant variation in the steel though, I assure you. I've sharpened hundreds of Globals, and I'm fairly certain none were fakes. You've might have just got lucky. Or...

The thing I don't know about the knives I sharpen is: when they were bought. It may not be variation batch to batch, it's perfectly possible this is just evolution over the years. Global has grown into a massive worldwide company over the last 25+ years (Mr. Bourdain has a lot to answer for there!). And production methods change; there are very few other consumer goods that if bought today would be exactly the same as two decades ago, there's no reason mass produced knives should be any different. In fact you'd kinda hope they weren't.

The thing I don't know about the knives I sharpen is: when they were bought. It may not be variation batch to batch, it's perfectly possible this is just evolution over the years. Global has grown into a massive worldwide company over the last 25+ years (Mr. Bourdain has a lot to answer for there!). And production methods change; there are very few other consumer goods that if bought today would be exactly the same as two decades ago, there's no reason mass produced knives should be any different. In fact you'd kinda hope they weren't.

i've heard things about different global ’vintages’. but don’t remember specifically what was said other than (surprise) older is supposedly better.

my experience is anecdotal, since i don’t make a living from sharpening globals, but my own G2 from 1994 is far easier to sharpen and takes and holds a much better edge than my brother in law's 2020. 🤷‍♀️ FWIW …

i've heard things about different global ’vintages’. but don’t remember specifically what was said other than (surprise) older is supposedly better.

my experience is anecdotal, since i don’t make a living from sharpening globals, but my own G2 from 1994 is far easier to sharpen and takes and holds a much better edge than my brother in law's 2020. 🤷‍♀️ FWIW …

Oh that’s interesting too. Tbh I’ve not researched enough to know that others had also noted these differences.

In fact I was actually assuming it might be that newer ones would be better, but now that you mention - yep it's more likely the other way round isn't it. If your company suddenly becomes very popular relatively quickly, then the natural thing to do is start looking for economies of scale... sometimes unfortunately at the expense of quality control or production standards.

(I might start paying more attention / asking people about the Globals they bring in, to see if I can see any correlation in it all).

Last edited:
I bought mine (GF Series) about 20 years ago. They kicked most other knives from the board including Wusthoff, KAI, Tanaka (Shigeki), AOKI (Togashi) but i have to admit that they are seriously thinned.

SirCutALot

Pure speculation, but it's possible they adjusted their heat treatment over time to accomodate their growing popularity amongst untrained home chefs who are more likely to abuse their knives than trained professionals.

I bought mine (GF Series) about 20 years ago. They kicked most other knives from the board including Wusthoff, KAI, Tanaka (Shigeki), AOKI (Togashi) but i have to admit that they are seriously thinned.

SirCutALot

It does sound then that perhaps the older knives like yours are better. I have been able to thin some Globals, but often the steel just can’t take it unfortunately.

On average I’ve found KAI and (drop forged) Wusthof steel to be a fair bit better. But I’ve not really been paying attention to how old the Globals I sharpen might be, so will be interesting to see if I can start noticing any differences...

i dont love the handles, and my opinion stops there.

there are things i dont like, and i wont spend the time to type it out. life is to short not to live mine the way i like.

i dont love the handles, and my opinion stops there.

there are things i dont like, and i wont spend the time to type it out. life is to short not to live mine the way i like.

Oh deary dear! I don't think you've understood the point of The Internet at all really...

What you have you have to do, you see, is form an incredibly strongly held opinion about something of no consequence whatsoever. And then argue about it with people you don't know.

It's not just you though - frankly I'm disappointed with everybody on this thread.

;)

Oh deary dear! I don't think you've understood the point of The Internet at all really...

What you have you have to do, you see, is form an incredibly strongly held opinion about something of no consequence whatsoever. And then argue about it with people you don't know.

It's not just you though - frankly I'm disappointed with everybody on this thread.

;)
Ha ok then...

This knife is actually my favourite of the global range (better than the G2) and is not just good "for a global", it's a great knife*.

https://globalknives.com.au/bestsellers/classic-13cm-cooks-knife/
What's not to like? Stainless, tall enough to use on the board, tough steel can be abused. Oh not sharp you say, can't deburr it? Pffff, just use any old coarse-ish stone, give it a strop on some green compound and you're golden. Don't have time for that? Pretend you're a TV chef and scrape it willy nilly on a steel rod a few times. Boom, now you too can butcher a chicken or slice a tomato like all your favourite youtube heroes.

*I honestly do like it and thinned a bit plus a fresh edge makes for a very useful little knife : )

Ha ok then...

This knife is actually my favourite of the global range (better than the G2) and is not just good "for a global", it's a great knife*.

https://globalknives.com.au/bestsellers/classic-13cm-cooks-knife/
What's not to like? Stainless, tall enough to use on the board, tough steel can be abused. Oh not sharp you say, can't deburr it? Pffff, just use any old coarse-ish stone, give it a strop on some green compound and you're golden. Don't have time for that? Pretend you're a TV chef and scrape it willy nilly on a steel rod a few times. Boom, now you too can butcher a chicken or slice a tomato like all your favourite youtube heroes.

*I honestly do like it and thinned a bit plus a fresh edge makes for a very useful little knife : )

Excellent. That's the spirit! One Gold Star for you.

I'm also going to have to award a Gold Star to Global themselves, for this completely seamless integration of lies and nonsense:

Screenshot 2023-06-14 002604.jpg

I literally cannot tell which parts are inaccurate, and which are irrelevant. And that is not an easy trick to pull off when writing copy for a website.

There’s probably members on this forum that have and love Globals. Not like they will step forward now. :). Is so hostile.

I should probably make clear again that I don't take myself, or any of all this, too seriously! It's just...

the kind of caustic and facetious nonsense that I like to pass off as 'humour'*.

56-58 hrc? Weren't they marketer higher in the past? Like a solid 58 or 59?

Back