Another stone suggestion thread

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danemonji

Reaction score
Hi guys
I am thinking of buying some jnats but with a limited budget i need to choose one of the following:
1. Hyderiama suita 8k medium hard
2. Atagoyama 6-8k medium hard big
3. Shobu suita 8k medium hard
I want to use it as a finisher stone(awasedo) for my carbon knives.

Also I am thinking about an itermediate Mizukihara 4-6k medium hard

If any of you have experience with any of these stones pros and cons please let me know.

What kind of edge are you after? A rather refined one, or one that is more aggressive?

Usually i prefer a more refined edge main reason being the retention and less prone to chipping. If needed i sometimes do a hair like micro bevel.
I would also like to get a good kasumi finish with good contrast when i thin the knife.

Quite aware it must sound as heresy to some, but with double bevelled other naturals than Japanese work very well: I use different grades of Arkansas, Belgian Blue and Coticule. There are plenty other less known naturals as well. I would start with a soft Arkansas — nothing soft about it, it's only relative. Delivers a fine but aggressive edge on old school carbons. I use saliva and create a bit of mud. Dilute with water for further refinement. Hard Arkansas or Belgians for deburring. The Belgian particles are rounded which is very convenient for deburring knives or full sharpening razors; most people will find it too smooth for kitchen knives. Works very nice for deburring though, as it doesn't tend to create a new burr.

The reason I never used Japanese naturals: I might be prejudiced, but the market seems rather opaque, at least to me. High prices, abandoned mines, old stocks.

Don't know how other naturals would work with Japanese traditional single-bevelled knives and polishing. Simply no experience.

Quite aware it must sound as heresy to some, but with double bevelled other naturals than Japanese work very well: I use different grades of Arkansas, Belgian Blue and Coticule. There are plenty other less known naturals as well. I would start with a soft Arkansas — nothing soft about it, it's only relative. Delivers a fine but aggressive edge on old school carbons. I use saliva and create a bit of mud. Dilute with water for further refinement. Hard Arkansas or Belgians for deburring. The Belgian particles are rounded which is very convenient for deburring knives or full sharpening razors; most people will find it too smooth for kitchen knives. Works very nice for deburring though, as it doesn't tend to create a new burr.

The reason I never used Japanese naturals: I might be prejudiced, but the market seems rather opaque, at least to me. High prices, abandoned mines, old stocks.

Don't know how other naturals would work with Japanese traditional single-bevelled knives and polishing. Simply no experience.
My man! Can I recommend a chaw of "Day's O Work" to insure enough saliva to lubricate the largest stone or the longest sharpening session?
Would really love to find me a bench stone sized coticule for tools and knifes. Can't do a new one that size though.

The Coticule are much looked for, the Belgian Blue often neglected. The difference is mainly in the amount of abrasive particles, not in their nature.
As for the size, price raises exponentially. Getting used to a small size is well worth the effort, and your sharpening in general will benefit.
I use this little friend for daily maintenance of all knives:

Prices:
https://www.knivesandtools.com/en/ct/ardennes-coticule-belgian-whetstones.htm

I order a set of ark replacment stones to go into an old Norton 313 but decided that I liked them better in a stone holder. They are an economical option until you get into the hard black.
The stones are 11" x 2.5" x .5". They came flat, probably from Dans through Sharpening Supplies.

Back