Any F1 fans here?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not yet haven't bought a diecast in about 10 yrs. When got my first CMC model 1953 Ferrari
500 F2, it was so superior to other diecast just bought CMC after that. German Co. made in China early to mid 2,000's labor was cheap models very reasonable for the over 1k metal pieces put in some of them.

Have 11 CMC models all grand prix race cars
except 1938 Bugatti Atlantic Coupe, Aston Martin DB4 Zagato 1961, Maserati 300S 1956.

The Maserati with it's aluminum birdcage frame is made from 1,838 single parts.

Have seen some of my models listed on eBay
for quite a bit more than I bought new. Some are missing parts. Mine pristine in display case
Led lights.

The Alfa Romeo Monzas dethroned the Bugatti type 35 Grand Prix cars. In early 1930's
the Alfa's dominated.
The straight 8 engines in those cars were works of art.

If I knew how to post utubes would great shows of Jay Leno driving Argentine made
Pursang exact replicas made by hand as they were originally. He has Bugatti Type 35 & Alfa
Romero Monza.

CMC finally making a Gran Prix Alfa Romeo Monzas not out yet but can pre order. There are
plenty cheap Alfa Romeo Monzas diecast some are just awful.

Brazil 2016, what a race.

Max said in an interview once he learned how to drive in the wet in his karting days. When practicing on track and it started to rain, everybody else would pack in and call it a day. But not Jos and Max. Jos would put some wet tires on the kart and send him on the track. Jos would even stand on the middle of the track whilst Max was racing, just to point out what lines to take and find grip.

Damn, as if driving 75 mph without seatbelts and on chariot wheels wasn't dangerous enough.

No helmets, a mechanics dude sitting next to driver partly to use hand pump in cockpit to pump oil into engine on tight turns the oil in pan would fly to one side. Smoking cigars & cigarettes, getting drunk after the races.🍺🍺

At least Max Verstappen won after couple unfortunate races. I thought Monza in Italy first modern F1 I watched was the best. It was raining pretty hard didn't delay or shorten race.
Next is Dutch GP

CMC models finally making a early 1930's Alfa Romeo P3 single seater. The engine in that racing car was a work of art. I pre ordered one
I installed led lights in the two wood mirror back cases last year. 8 cars each. So 16 models. Had 4 1960's F1 racers already two in box because not enough room. So got one more case wired up the lights dedicated it to
1960's race cars. Looking on eBay can't believe
asking prices on CMC cars I own. Went to look
on eBay for quality 1/18 60's racers. Discouraged at first prices on those are way up
too. They say because limited # made & long
out of production models. So I found few models I like & search on Google for that car only. Did same thing buying CMC years ago.
Prices vary a lot when you get same model available from around the world. So was able to
score 3 models at much cheaper prices than others were asking. One was 800.00 - 500.00
other places. I found one starting bid 200.00
No one bid waited final seconds got it for 200.00. if go buy preferred vendors on eBay
You don't find them on broader search. Must
be very specific to that one car. 🤪
IMG_20210831_171014836_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210831_170751677.jpg

IMG_20210831_172218693.jpg
IMG_20210831_165538514.jpg
IMG_20210831_170054317.jpg
IMG_20210831_171832369.jpg

The figure is Enzo Ferrari next to 1961 Sharknose his first rear engine car 1.5L six
very fast.⚡⚡

Beautiful collection and spectacular display. Thank you for sharing.

At least Max Verstappen won after couple unfortunate races. I thought Monza in Italy first modern F1 I watched was the best. It was raining pretty hard didn't delay or shorten race.
Next is Dutch GP

Can't really speak of a 'win' for Verstappen after 2 laps behind the SC and calling it a race, but at least he closed the gap to Hamilton. It's pretty rare that a race gets cancelled due to rain, can't remember the last time. But on a track like Spa, I think it was the right call, especially with al the recent accidents at Eau Rouge/Raidillon (most recent W series, a Dutch female driver was involved, pretty scary accident).

And yes, this weekend Zandvoort. Been a while since they have been there. They have done modifications to the track, they have added substantial degrees of banking in 2 corners. But still, it's a narrow track and I suspect overtaking will be difficult because of the width of modern F1 cars. There is a nice onboard from max driving there:

Oh and BTW, love your collection! The details of those models are amazing.

EDIT: for anyone that is interested, Netflix will be releasing a documentary of Schumacher's career on September 15th. Not sure this is a worldwide release.

Last edited:
Even though I'm Dutch I'm struggling to get excited about the Zandvoort GP next weekend. I'm afraid it's going to be another one of those Hungaroring tracks that is too slow and too narrow for any interesting racing or overtaking. I hope I'm wrong but consider me a skeptic...
It's really a shame we didn't get an actual race on Spa. Always one of my favorite tracks on the calender. They just don't build them like that anymore.

Even though I'm Dutch I'm struggling to get excited about the Zandvoort GP next weekend. I'm afraid it's going to be another one of those Hungaroring tracks that is too slow and too narrow for any interesting racing or overtaking. I hope I'm wrong but consider me a skeptic...
It's really a shame we didn't get an actual race on Spa. Always one of my favorite tracks on the calender. They just don't build them like that anymore.

Anything,,,,, will be better than last weekends' farce. Shame on F1 and the FIA.

I too, always look forward to Spa as one of the highlight races of the year. What I didn't expect this year was, the FIA's race to get out of town, and pay the contractors, and, to hell with the fans. This race should have been re-scheduled. This was worse than the 2005 U.S. Grand Prix where the drivers went on strike, and only six cars raced. At least, they raced. Spa gets a 2-lap parade behind the safety car, with no passing allowed. Why bother? (yeah, it's declared "a race" because the minimum required of "laps" were completed, so the contractors get paid)

I can actually understand the reluctance from the organization when you consider a few events:
-On Saturday the quali had to get red flagged due to Norris's accident in Eau rouge that he was lucky to walk away from. The accident happened when people were already asking them to stop the session.
-One of the other races earlier on Sunday - on a dry track - also saw a big crash in Eau Rouge that actually did send someone into the hospital.
-It's been only 2 years since Hubert's fatal accident in Eau Rouge.

These things start stacking up. Spa is already one of the more dangerous tracks even in good conditions. I just think they legit didn't dare to start the race in those conditions, no matter how much they may have wanted to; if anything had gone wrong everyone would have blamed them for letting them drive in those conditions. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Rescheduling isn't much of an option considering how full the calendar already is.

Rescheduling isn't much of an option considering how full the calendar already is.

Yeah, rescheduling is not easy, especially with another race this weekend, but they could have raced Monday. Regarding future dates, Japan has already cancelled, and there'll probably be others due to Covid outbreaks.

What disappoints me most, is that the fans have waited a month for the summer break to end, and we get,,,,,, a 2-lap "parade".

What a shame about Lando. Vettel even said over team radio that the track was too wet, and that the race should be red-flagged. Seconds later, Lando crashes. Vettel was "pissed" and I don't blame him.

I couldn't believe it, as you know my first season of watching modern F1. I agree they could have tried to run it next day there already.

It's all about money. Getting two "race laps" met the sporting regulations and they essentially awarded half-points for qualifying.

It's all about money. Getting two "race laps" met the sporting regulations and they essentially awarded half-points for qualifying.

Yeah,,, and they ultimately want to go pay-per-view. Who wouldn't be happy paying to watch a 2 lap parade???

They should have called the race,,,, with no points awarded. As it stands, Lando Norris will get a grid penalty in the next race, and it's all because Michael Masi, the race director, didn't have the gonads to call the race. Lando was set to start on the front row, or close by. I believe he was P2 at the moment of the crash. As a result, he gets ZERO points, plus it costs the team to fix the car, plus the grid penalty in the next race. This was another case where the guys in the booth, "know more" than the drivers. Of course, they won't "review" Masi's call,,, after all,,,, they "met the requirements" for a "race". How convenient that such a "rule" even exists.

FIRE Masi. Let the FIA pay for Lando's crash. In my eyes, the FIA was directly responsible (irresponsible) for the crash.

I'm not sure that was about the money though? Most events usually have some force majeur clause to protect themselves for these kind of extreme cases. At worst it's an insurance matter.

The decision to award points or not is controversial no matter what you do. It's silly to award points for not racing, but at the same time it's also silly to not have any reward in the championship for the drivers and teams that did actually perform well for the rest of the weekend and as a result got a good grid position. Half points is kind of splitting it down the middle. If they had actually raced in those conditions the results would probably have been very similar to the starting grind... minus a few pretty much guaranteed DNFs due to crashes.

I agree that weird 'negative exceptions' like the one you described for Norris deserve some kind of special treatment or exception here, especially considering the conditions of his crash (several drivers were already calling for red flags when he went off). Lately it feels like a lot of the 'rules' are having effects beyond their original purpose. There's a similar problem with the engine and gearbox regulations etc, where having a crash in one race that causes a total writeoff basically forces you to ruin another race later in the season because you're you incur a penalty for exceeding the limit of allowed parts swaps.

As for refunds for ticket holders, they are already reviewing that. There should be more news on that the coming week:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.gpfans.com/amp/article.php?id=69166
The half point situation is indeed a damned if you do, damned if you don't thing. Racing on Monday would have been impossible. F1 events are organised with a lot of volunteers, including trackside marshals, who likely had to go to work the next day. Also, the teams had to be on their way to the next GP. So I do think that rewarding half points was the good call, as all the F1 teams did spent money to get there and race. And it's not something they could do anything about.

Indeed a shame how it ended for Norris. But it's not that anyone forced him to go out and race in those conditions? As a team or driver, you could have made the call not to race if you think it's too dangerous? Both team and Norris were willing to take the chance, then also live with the consequences, also if this includes totalling a car and getting a grid penalty.

I do however believe the rules of swapping parts because of an accident caused by someone else should be reviewed. I get that there should be a limit on how many parts a team can use during a season. But I do think that changing parts because of an accident caused by someone else should not be added to the total. Just look at Max, on his third engine, with the half of the season remaining. He is going to have to take a grid penalty somewhere and who knows, it might even cost him the championship.

Last edited:
How about this for a solution to points awarded for no race;,,,, divide the damned money equally among ALL the teams, so the bottom-feeders at least get SOME chance of recouping their losses/expenses. They're always left holding the bag,,,,, no money for development, etc. Let's face it, under the current points system, there's only 6 teams that should be racing, and the rest are merely "fillers" to create the image (illusion) of an internationally significant sport.

This was Stirling Moss second consecutive
win at Monaco driving Lotus 18. Behind is Sharknose first rear engine Ferrari in third
grey Porsche. 1961 these cars were really small. The drivers prone position inches off the
pavement. 1.5L hitting speeds of 160mph.

One of the 60's models I bought had a few of these Lithographs signed by Sterling Moss.
My phone camera can't capture rich color.
The great driver with many victories in the very
dangerous golden age of F1 died in 2020 at age 90
IMG_20210902_124449434.jpg

This was Stirling Moss second consecutive
win at Monaco driving Lotus 18. Behind is Sharknose first rear engine Ferrari in third
grey Porsche. 1961 these cars were really small. The drivers prone position inches off the
pavement. 1.5L hitting speeds of 160mph.

One of the 60's models I bought had a few of these Lithographs signed by Sterling Moss.
My phone camera can't capture rich color.
The great driver with many victories in the very
dangerous golden age of F1 died in 2020 at age 90
View attachment 140670

An unusually American field: Phil Hill (3rd), Richie Ginther (2nd) in Ferraris and Dan Gurney (5th) driving for Porsche. Wolfgang von Trips was fourth, also driving a Ferrari, von Tripps died in an accident at Monza that year.
I love the tiny Enzo among your models!

Back